Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:51:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:49:33 AM]

[Today at 11:22:14 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: AI: today I learned something...  (Read 2789 times)

sebast

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015
Yes, Sebast, this is helpful and interesting to know about the AI experience (because I don't have one). Speaking from Hobie 18 perspective when you're running, sometimes you're standing on the transom as nosing in is the most common way to pitch pole. And although its a bumpy ride, in catamarans, broad reach is normally (much) faster downwind than a run (and less dangerous)...Keep sharing.

Disclaimer: I have very limited knowledge of sailing and boating, though read a lot, so take these with grain of salt.

In AI in general you are sitting and always low - not sure if Hobie 18 is similar. I saw videos of AI folk staying on the transom (I think it's very rare), I definitely feel I'd love it if I could. Moving from cramped position to stand-up for me at 6'5" would require some training ;)

Another problem is that on a broad reach at 20 kts and 4ft there is lots of play. For one I don't feel AKAs are secure enough against strong lateral force (maybe it's me, but there are many reports of AKA disconnecting. And you *feel* AKAs trembling).

Secondly, since I'm literally sitting in the water every wave is not just going over me (it's OK, I'm already under water ;) ), but it significantly slows down boat b/c both I and AMA do dive. So, after trying various courses I found that best I could do was to run (or very broad reach), compensating waves and wind by sitting on tramp and reefing not to dive.

With better conditions (2-3 ft, 15 kts) it's very different (though still very wet) experience. Thinking about this more I guess 20 kts / 4ft is probably challenging combination of my current skills and boat

For higher wind and wave I'm planning to try:
- my chair is collapsible, so instead of running on tramps (btw, I'm running at about 10-20 degrees, so it probably is or close to broad reach) I'll try to move back as much as I can, while still on a main hull.
- try HAKA - it should be a bit higher off the water, and I can be in a more sitting position

It's a blast on a slower wind and lower waves though! And I think it is great for beginners, to try different conditions and still being able to peddle it if needed ;)
2015 TI
2017 Outback