Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 05:04:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 01:58:19 AM]

[Today at 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:36:10 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 09:35:28 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 09:34:00 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 07:44:11 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 04:54:29 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 01:54:14 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:53:02 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:47:27 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:36:28 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:19:30 AM]

[April 14, 2024, 09:28:20 PM]

[April 14, 2024, 11:07:25 AM]

[April 14, 2024, 07:39:42 AM]

[April 13, 2024, 05:09:58 PM]

[April 13, 2024, 11:43:58 AM]

[April 12, 2024, 10:13:23 PM]

[April 12, 2024, 10:01:01 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: USB charger on kayak  (Read 3299 times)

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007
I've been using my Wilderness Systems lithium battery to charge my phone while sitting on the couch at home. The multiple usb ports are pretty convenient. Just a thought...

So the wall charger charges the lithium battery which charges your phone? Very Rube Goldberg. :smt005

You could get a solar panel and charge the battery that way, then charge the phone with the battery.  NowhereMan does not appear to plan on bringing his couch or wall outlet with him on multiday trips so that might actually work for him.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
I don't have a 10-foot cord for my phone charger...  :smt005
But I have a handful of those small portable power banks...and one day realized my WS battery is like a giant portable power bank haha. I may even add it to our earthquake emergency kit :-)
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
You could get a solar panel and charge the battery that way, then charge the phone with the battery.  NowhereMan does not appear to plan on bringing his couch or wall outlet with him on multiday trips so that might actually work for him.

I do have a 7W "PowerFilm" solar panel that I plan to use. So, my next question is, do I need 2 batteries, 1 to use and 1 to charge, or is there any easy and reliable way to manage the charging and usage (for FF and, hopefully, iPhone) with a single battery?
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007

I do have a 7W "PowerFilm" solar panel that I plan to use. So, my next question is, do I need 2 batteries, 1 to use and 1 to charge, or is there any easy and reliable way to manage the charging and usage (for FF and, hopefully, iPhone) with a single battery?

I use two batteries. You could put the dry box with two cables running out in parallel, one for the FF and one for the panel and everything separately fused, I think that would work fine as long as your panel can handle salt water exposure, which I know nothing about either way. Never really occurred to me.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

Scurvy

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2015
Salt water is no tango for those USB connectors, just asking for trouble. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
This link looks to have a lot of good info on using solar on a kayak. Prolly going to do something pretty similar to this...

https://www.kayakfishingnz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14541

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
This guy put a solar panel inside his kayak (same brand and color as mine, coincidentally). Looks like it'll generate 12W inside, as opposed to 16W outside in direct sun.

CGN-38

• Del Valle Storm Trooper
  • Sea Lion
  • Survivor Del Valle FnC 09'
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2005
  I have these components already to add to a one of the wally- mart water proof orange dry boxes.  Haven't made decision as to where I plan to add install the little digital DVM/USB though, in the hull opposite my compass install or in the battery box itself.  I'm leaning to in the hull as it'll be visible and useable.  In the battery box, not so much.  I have a few RED LED strips I plan to install for either or both, deck and in hull for now and wire my compass backlight in the circuit as well.
  Don't have a switch for the compass yet.  The one I do have is RED and not sure if it'll be a Main power Enabling the battery box) or for the deck/ in hull LED (TBD) so I'll need to order another switch for the compass light and  maybe the deck lights?
 :smt075  Decisions....
  I do like the little DVM/ dual USB charger display, I may have to get one for my truck! (Green)
 (All available on Amazon)

« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 03:15:29 AM by CGN-38 »

Member/survivor STORM TROOPER Brigade

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
I've got the wires installed in my batter box and should have it all connected up for a test run fairly soon. The only thing I can't decide is where to put the solar panel---might have to experiment with a few different locations to see what'll actually work best. I'll post some picture eventually...

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2018
Just a heads up but the solar panels on power banks are pretty useless. I bought one with such an inefficient panel that it would have taken 40 hours to fully charge the battery.

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
Just a heads up but the solar panels on power banks are pretty useless. I bought one with such an inefficient panel that it would have taken 40 hours to fully charge the battery.

It seems that the claimed output from a lot of those small solar panels is grossly exaggerated. The “solarfilm” brand that I’ve got gets good reviews and many even state that it will exceed the wattage rating. Even so, the 7W that I’ve got is pretty minimal, but has been fun to experiment with. If it turns out to be helpful, I’ll probably upgrade to about 20W.

anything