Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 22, 2024, 11:17:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 09:24:28 PM]

[Today at 07:49:41 PM]

[Today at 06:24:32 PM]

[Today at 05:15:45 PM]

[Today at 01:44:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 09:45:43 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:27:22 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:37:51 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:28:42 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 09:08:36 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:41:07 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:12:18 AM]

[April 19, 2024, 10:54:38 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 10:40:43 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Plug building  (Read 8994 times)

racer414

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
A handful more that are finished. I'm making some improvement here and there, but still don't quite have the consistency I'd like. Just takes time and practice I assume.

Had my first short test to see if the fish approve. Not really the time for stripers around here but I did have one schoolie follower and hooked up to two green bass, that I promptly lost close to the kayak. Gives me a little hope at least! Can't wait to build some other types and sizes for my Baja trips. I need to make something that dives...

Headwaters Kayak Fishing Team

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Love the shine, glitter, variety.  That is consistent.  Production.  Keep going...such work is going into these that I hope they slammmm..... :smt006
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

racer414

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Well the madness has hit me! While I really appreciated using our family friend's shop, (and I think he enjoyed having me since he's in an all girl household) I didn't want to wear out my welcome. So I began looking around for a lathe. Quite a few guys that build lures use the Harbor Freight lathe with little to no complaints, but I've never been a huge fan of their stuff. Woodcraft happened to have a sale on Rikon products, which seem like better quality and have a 5 year warranty. Price wasn't much more when they were on sale.

I'll be looking to purchase a band saw and belt/disc sander sometime in the near future, as well.

I also picked up some turning tools and some Poplar to try some different wood. The past couple days I've been working on some new styles and sizes to try, along with some different profiles (skinny vs fat). For size reference, the big popper is 7.5" and the needle next to it is 8".

I need to re-supply on some hardware and I can get back to building.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 06:18:54 PM by racer414 »

SlackedTide

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2014
A handful more that are finished. I'm making some improvement here and there, but still don't quite have the consistency I'd like. Just takes time and practice I assume.

Had my first short test to see if the fish approve. Not really the time for stripers around here but I did have one schoolie follower and hooked up to two green bass, that I promptly lost close to the kayak. Gives me a little hope at least! Can't wait to build some other types and sizes for my Baja trips. I need to make something that dives...

ohhhh those are purrrrrrrrrtttyyyyy... me likey..
2014 Hobie Revo 13
2011 Hobie Outback - bye bye
1997 Tracker 17 Deep V<--- Money Pit

When you look outside the window, and all you see is fishing. True Story.

racer414

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Thanks guys! Hoping the stripers show up in good numbers this fall so I can put them to use.

racer414

• Salmon
  • View Profile

Got the spooks built out of this last batch. Tried some slightly different variations on body shape and came to the conclusion that they all perform about the same, except I prefer the shape of the two trout patterns. I still need to test them with the dressed siwash. These are all unweighted poplar. The 5" have 1/0 x4 Vmc and the 6" 2/0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile

Got the spooks built out of this last batch. Tried some slightly different variations on body shape and came to the conclusion that they all perform about the same, except I prefer the shape of the two trout patterns. I still need to test them with the dressed siwash. These are all unweighted poplar. The 5" have 1/0 x4 Vmc and the 6" 2/0

They look so pro..... :smt006

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

racer414

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Still been building a little here and there, mostly metal lip swimmers, both surface and divers. Lately I've taken on some new projects which has got me all excited to build again.

First, I decided to build some small bass crankbaits with some wood I was planning to scrap, as well as modified some existing lures I built for fishing pyramid. Lastly, I build a couple wood "jigs" based on the profiles of metal jigs and loaded them with lead. The plan is to send them to the bottom and try to catch a ling or two on my own plugs.

Couple cranks, one deep diver and one shallow (still need to test swim)

These were meant to be Lyman copies but instead I opted to put a metal lip and shave their head a bit

And the ling jigs. Most of the weight is centerline with the thru-wire. I'm hoping they'll flutter a little on the way down.

And a few that got painted today. A danny and the two cranks

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2018
Those are really nice looking plugs. Great workmanship and artistry! Some of those plugs would slay stripers out here in the SF surf.

You would give a couple plug building guys from another board (Winch, Mike Fixter) a run for their $

2015 Hobie Revo 13
2017 Hobie i12s
Stealth Fisha 460

racer414

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Those are really nice looking plugs. Great workmanship and artistry! Some of those plugs would slay stripers out here in the SF surf.

You would give a couple plug building guys from another board (Winch, Mike Fixter) a run for their $

I appreciate the compliments! But I’m far from comparable to those guys. They are legends in the plug building world. Lots of what I’ve learned was from reading through their threads

racer414

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Been awhile since I’ve posted any builds...I’ve updated my designs and refined my process. The end result has been pretty good! Better yet they’ve been catching!

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Top notch, you got the gift:.. :smt006
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 06:32:30 PM by Eddie »

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

Scruzfish

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2018
I have paid good money for plugs that look like these.  Way to go man.  Those look great.

masterandahound

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2014
That red/white plug looks ready to be crushed by a striper. Beautiful work !
Ocean Kayak Prowler Big Game

racer414

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Thanks guys! Lots of trial and error but I’m pretty happy with my results now