Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 08:10:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:53:15 PM]

[Today at 06:54:40 PM]

by jp52
[Today at 02:25:47 PM]

[Today at 02:15:59 PM]

[Today at 01:10:11 PM]

[Today at 11:10:06 AM]

[Today at 09:46:32 AM]

[Today at 09:43:09 AM]

[Today at 09:32:03 AM]

[Today at 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:47:56 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:07:55 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Saw the mascot today!  (Read 7705 times)

Eric B

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
I think that when we get to finally see one in the water is something that we all secretly desire.

I admit it.  I plan on doing this kayaking thing as long as I live, so I can't wait to get my first sighting over with!

But that slowly disappearing fin must have been a mindblower...  jeez.

Fish Master1

• If it bleeds I can kill it.
  • Manatee
  • A-Hull Muggle
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
Dude I get uncomfortable when sea lions cruz underneath me!!! :smt009, I couldn't imagine how id react if it were the landlord.. :smt100
..........Sincerly A-Hull Muggle.

Northern Boy

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile my name is phil and i'm addicted to fishing
  • Date Registered: Mar 2007
We moved into shallower water. 

I almost missed this part. You mean 0 ft of water......surely!?

I can't quite reconcile the fact that I'd do almost anything to see a GWS with the knowledge that it would scare me senseless and I might not go in the water again for a long time.

Having read this thread, it seems I am not the only one!

jmairey

• Sea Lion
  • 35" and ~25lbs of halibut
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005

I dont know if it works, but I love my Shark Shield!  :smt002
john m. airey

FisHunter

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Manatee
  • Mooch Taught Me How To Live Life
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2006
NB~ they are at HMB too! a GWS lives at Linda Mar point and has been named by the locals....once it was sighted showing it's baby how to hunt the shoreline. Signs were posted and never has it ever bite anyone(yet)  
I was on the shore after catching waves at Rockaway Beach(just north of LM) 10yrs ago, when a diver pulled in and told us what he'd seen down there last week...he was with a buddy and they were just scuba diving with low-vis, around the cliff area. Until a big grey shadow blocked the light, he turned around in time to see a very LARGE Eyeball watching them.....then told us were we crazy nuts and went on his way.
Moral of Story**Sharks are in the Ocean we yak in & all a part of the MADNESS!
Don't think about it and you'll be ok!...THEYpreyONtheWEAK!
Be Safe, Not Sorry = B'ropeUpFool!

Winner of nothing but goodtimes with good friends.

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
I almost missed this part. You mean 0 ft of water......surely!?

From an exposed 80 feet to a kelp 30 feet...we kept fishing, some of the others never moved at all.

otobepelagic

• o2b
  • Sea Lion
  • 1st, 2nd, and 3rd
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
   This report sends a chill down my spine........I just want to  hit the "back" button on my computer and pretend I did not read it.  My closest encounter was scuba diving in 80' fow from a zodiac below cardiac hill. I surfaced only to find my buds (all competition divers) already in the boat and when they motored over to me an yanked me into the boat  the looks on their faces said it all. 

Nice Reds and lings ............I think I'll spend the rest of the season in the kelp beds looking for cabbies.
NCKA Angler of the Year 2010 1st Place, 2009 2nd Place, 2008 3rd Place          

Living the dream before I can only dream of it.......

sharky

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile monkeyfacenews
  • Date Registered: May 2007
Sean,
Iremember you posting recently that you had never seen one while on the water. I remember thinking that it was strange that possibly the most recognisable face in central/north coast yakfishing hadn't had an encounter.

From what i saw on my weekend pB ride, the nearshore water is RIPE. Near the Bean, i saw 3 seals in the shallows pack up and make a mad dash across "the zone". they were swimming at top speed like dolphins, just like i had seen them doing back at the infamous Seal Island, in South Africa.

Even with a Taxman Tazer, Im uncomfortable when the water is like this. (Once bitten, twice shy :smt005...Nearly cost me an arm and a leg :smt044 :smt044) Im not saying this to be a buzz kill, but i do think in my case, its understandable. Seperating logic from instinct can be dam near impossible for me at times....

John, aint it wonderful how quickly one falls in love with this little device. After a few sessions, the seemingly high price tag seems like some of the best money youve ever spent :smt002. John, have you shocked yourself with it yet? That really helps you appreciate it. :smt044 :smt044 I know both Danglin and myself have done the SS beach break dance....

FisHunter..."THEYpreyONtheWEAK!"...Ha!...One day when we actually meet each other, we should have a drinking challenge, arm wrestle or a smoke out, and maybe i can get you to reconsider :smt044 :smt044

The irony in this is that I had been saying to myself i should go hit somewhere outside of 'the Red Triangle', like PA or Sur.

Northern Boy

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile my name is phil and i'm addicted to fishing
  • Date Registered: Mar 2007
NB~ they are at HMB too! a GWS lives at Linda Mar point and has been named by the locals....once it was sighted showing it's baby how to hunt the shoreline. Signs were posted and never has it ever bite anyone(yet)  

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
Nearly cost me an arm and a leg

So wrong, yet SO funny!

fishshim

• Sea Lion
  • thanks for the pic PAL!
  • View Profile Mark Shimizu Design-Jewelry
  • Date Registered: Aug 2005
I don't hang fish on a stringer in the water or keep them in my (selfdraining) tankwell anymore. After a couple personal moments with large sealions and getting buzzed by what turned out to be large dolphins (in the same area as yesterday) I ditched the stringers for a fishcooler bag kept inside my hull. In my mind not introducing blood/chum in the water is an important detail. It also keeps the fish looking good. Now after this latest drive by I feel it was a good choice.

Uminchu Naoaki

• Fisherman from Okinawa
  • Sea Lion
  • Uminchu
  • View Profile my YouTube
  • Date Registered: Jun 2006
That's just crazy, but then again you guys stayed around for those nice fish...crazy... :smt009
Glad to hear you guys were ok &  great to see Shimizu-sensi & Erik on the water again w/ big reds!!! :smt041

Malibu_Two

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005

Not sure about that...Great whites don't live in one place and they don't raise their young the way bears or dogs or cats do. They roam and are solitary, but that's not to say that there has never been one at LM!
May the fish be mighty and the seas be meek...

Fisherman X

• Sea Lion
  • Going to the ocean is going home
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
Dude I get uncomfortable when sea lions cruz underneath me!!! :smt009, I couldn't imagine how id react if it were the landlord.. :smt100

Yeah, I second that, first a shock and then I get kinda territorial myself thinking the rascally rock sausages are gonna steal my catch!

John
-Success is living the life you want-
Joel ><>

Hammerhead avatar in memory of CdM

InSeine

• "Whiskeys' for Drinkin', Waters' for Fightin'"
  • Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2005
Sean:

So if you where within 50 ft, are you now in violation of ESA?  Don't harass the wildlife now!!!!  Of course they need to follow the same rules ey! 
Erik, good to see you got out.
Where did you guys launch....52?

J
OG

anything