Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 10:10:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 09:39:34 PM]

[Today at 07:53:15 PM]

[Today at 06:54:40 PM]

by jp52
[Today at 02:25:47 PM]

[Today at 02:15:59 PM]

[Today at 01:10:11 PM]

[Today at 11:10:06 AM]

[Today at 09:46:32 AM]

[Today at 09:43:09 AM]

[Today at 09:32:03 AM]

[Today at 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:07:55 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Apex  (Read 1325 times)

Eric B

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
The famous watermelon apex seems universally loved, and has worked for me, but those suckers are hard to find.  I noticed the fire tiger pattern sorta seems like the next closest, and are cheap and plentiful.  I noticed the UV series also are cheap and plentiful.

Has anyone had any luck with anything besides watermelon?

Ebayfisher

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2018
I've heard Cop Car or Police Car(Black & White pattern) is a good choice.  Although from what I've read on the NCKA forums WMA is the most chosen color.  Not to highjack your forum but I would also be interested in what size Apex people use.  I successfully used 5.5 inch but thought the 4.5 inch may work when the bite is slow or the bait is like-size. 

Malibu_Two

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
I like to use the bigger ones, not sure if the fish care too much though. I've had good luck with the chrome, watermelon, cop car, blue/silver, etc.
Have a bunch on hand and change them up if one isn't working.
May the fish be mighty and the seas be meek...

yakyakyak

• Sea Lion
  • Huh? What?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016

Cop car and pink ones.  You can go to Coyote Bait and Tackle, they usually have them in stock.  Forget it if you try to find them elsewhere.
2019 Hobie Outback
2017 Hobie Adventure Island
2016 Santa Cruz Raptor G2 - Surf/stability champ!
2015 Hobie Revolution 16 - Speedster
2016 NuCanoe Frontier 12 - Extra stable with crazy load capability

-----------------
FOR SALE
-----------------

Rods and Reels: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=88549.0 (Shimanos, Casting/Spinning Rods + Reels

PISCEAN

• no kooks please!
  • Sea Lion
  • humming to the bear...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
I haven't used one in a while (last time was at Shelter) and I just alternated between watermelon and "cop car".

Outdoor Pro Shop (cotati/rohnert park) had a bunch of colors and sizes last time I was in there.
pronounced "Pie-see-in"
"Every day is a fishing day, but not every day is a catching day"-Countryman
sponsored by: Piscean Artworks
Randomness rules the universe. Perseverance is the only path to success..but luck sometimes works too.

bmb

• Please unsubscribe me from the
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Brad's cut plugs work great. seriously.

nudling

• Sea Lion
  • I tend to drift when I fish
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009
I've had luck with cop car and make sure you change out the line and hook. I run 2 hooks if I'm not using a belly line and 50# test.
hobie24 hobie08 rip

SmokeOnTheWater

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2011
I'm a big fan of apex and have caught fish on various colors.  Watermelon, cop car, blue pearl, black pearl, clear uv. 

They all work, I think people just get caught up on the watermelon because thats what everyone talks about.  I only use the 4.5" size.
If you ain't first, you're last.

Eric B

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
Thanks, fellas.  I’m a set it and forget it kinda guy but you’ve given me the confidence to stock up on a few different patterns.  FYI we have the UV patterns at Sportsman’s Warehouse in Milpitas.

bigtuna

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015
An old timer once told me the vast amount salmon lures and the variety of colors are for the fisherperson and not the salmon.  I agree with him. :)

Personally I'm a set it and forget it kinda guy.  Bait using Krippled Anchovy was VERY consistent for me throughout this entire year from April to October.  You can't really go wrong with bait.  Just got to make sure its spinning properly and check it often.  Having two hooks on the line is also very beneficial. 

I'm not a very superstitious fisher (except when it comes to bananas) and its very difficult to build any statistical significance to tell you which color lure works better than others.  So many other factors to consider.  Especially for those trolling with only one rod.  Even then sometimes I'll be trolling with 2 rods and only one rod will go off all day even though we are using the same lure on each rod.  Salmon move, they can either be there or not, and it can all happen in a blink of an eye.  If a big school moves in and EVERYONE around me is catching fish and I'm not, then yeah perhaps something is wrong.  More likely than not if you consistently maintain speed, depth, and presentation it will happen.  One thing I noticed from observing other kayak fisherman on their quest for salmon this year is that I don't think they consistently move fast enough for a long enough period of time.  Salmon fishing is about putting in large amounts of time with all other factors consistent. And yeah, I have a motor so I know its a bit hypocritical for me bring that up. 

On my first Albion trip I didn't realize they sold chovies at the campground and I forgot to bring them.  I used my Silver Horde Coho Killer spoons and did very well.  Does that mean I will now ALWAYS use my spoons and that specific color because it was probably my best day of 2019?  No, I probably would have done just as well if I was using chovies or an apex for that matter. 

All that said, and like others have said, watermelon is popular.  Does that mean it does best? Watermelon is probably the most used color, so we hear the most reports.

Anyway, I'll get off my soapbox.  This year was a blast!!!  I had some great opportunities and met some cool kayakers.  We'll see y'all around.  Come down to Monterey Bay in April 2019. :-)