Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:39:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:11:09 PM]

[Today at 06:20:40 PM]

[Today at 06:06:38 PM]

[Today at 04:50:16 PM]

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Flying with tackle  (Read 1797 times)

SF_fisher

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
Hey all,

So I've been flying down to Cabo a few times a year to go fishing and have been slowly scaling down the number of bags I bring cuz airlines charge an arm and a leg for checking bags.  I have another trip coming up and I'm wondering if anyone has successfully traveled w/ tackle actually inside their carry on.  I'll have my rod case which I'll be putting my knife, pliers, etc in.  And I know I can put all my lures in there as well, but just looking for insight / success stories on using carry-on's.  Worst case, I'll just check an additional bag.

Thanks!

Cameron
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life,
there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

splashdown

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
well its been a few years, but I accidentally had a tackle bag in my carryon full of hooks and they took them all out and trashed them.

Now when I travel, I do not put anything in my carry on, but in my baggage. I sometimes get that inspection placard from the TSA because the don't like my big plastics I haul to Alaska or my big hexbars and lures for lingcod. 

I also carry my 8wt flyrod and an 8 foot bait casting outfit that I use for salmon. They fit perfectly in their cases in my baggage
"bull riding came about when some redneck stated, "hold my beer and watch this!"

Dallas HOW Chapter Coordinator

SF_fisher

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Yeah, I had a feeling that was the case.  Never hurts to ask around though haha.  I'm sure I'll be checking them......

• Cabeza de Martillo
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
I personally would take reels without the line, no hooks or weights of any kind.
I've seen people bring smaller two piece fishing rods on board but it's probably frowned upon.

I've had dive weights removed from my carry on and luckily was able to shove them back into my luggage. That was on my return flight from San Jose del Cabo.

You are probably better off checking in most if not all your gear and just pay the baggage fees.
Pronounced in Spanish  ka·be·za de mar·t·yo
Translates to Hammerhead in English for my Gringo amigos.
....and yes that's me with a 6ft. green moray in the avatar.

"Spearos before Hos" - Silent Hunter

"Give your son a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach him how to spearfish and he'll feed you for a lifetime" - Cabeza de Martillo

Proud Papa of ...........
2018 JAOTY Lucas aka Baja Ninja
2018 JDOTY Noah aka Silent Hunter

• Cabeza de Martillo
  • View Profile
This is an awesome travel bag for fishing rods, tackle, spear guns and gear.
https://www.sportube.com/

I put 2 six foot spear guns, a smaller reef gun, two sets of fins, weight belt, two fishing rods and a collapsible float in mine.

It's has wheels and a tow handle and is easy to maneuver in an airport environment.

It's also telescopic so adjusts to your gear. Definitely a 5 star rating  :smt023 

Worth every penny. Have taken mine to Cabo numerous times and will be taking it down there again in Dec  :smt028

Teach him how to spearfish and he'll feed you for a lifetime" - Cabeza de Martillo

SF_fisher

• Salmon
  • View Profile
@Cabeza de Martillo - OK, that thing is dope.  I have a large bazooka tube that I take down to Cabo with me.  I have a few small boxes that I'm going to put all my lures in and put them in the tube.  I'm only putting my heavy tuna rod and a 2 piece surf rod in there, so there "should" be enough room for my tackle.  But that thing is awesome. 

Each trip I learn a new trick for downsizing.  Think that's next on the list cuz that Series 2 (and 3) look perfect.  Thanks for that link!

• Cabeza de Martillo
  • View Profile
@Cabeza de Martillo - OK, that thing is dope.  I have a large bazooka tube that I take down to Cabo with me.  I have a few small boxes that I'm going to put all my lures in and put them in the tube.  I'm only putting my heavy tuna rod and a 2 piece surf rod in there, so there "should" be enough room for my tackle.  But that thing is awesome. 

Each trip I learn a new trick for downsizing.  Think that's next on the list cuz that Series 2 (and 3) look perfect.  Thanks for that link!

No problem.

Here's a pic of my Sports Tube I think its a 2 in San Jose del Cabo at the Marina, Puerto Los Cabos in July 2018.
(Silent Hunter in background)

It's strapped to my rental with a Block Surf rack system see vid below. Another awesome product  :smt001

SF_fisher

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Yeah man, I really dig that thing. 
Last time I was at that marina it was 110* and I caught an 80lb YFT (as well as other fish).  Great memories from that place and looking forward to seeing it again next weekend. Thankfully it'll be less hot this time around.

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
I've flown with lead weights in my carry on many times, to Alaska, Mexico, Panama, and beyond.  It really helps in bringing down the weight of your checked in luggage.
 Was never hassled. Usually you have to take them out for them to see.  When flying to Alaska, some times they already know what they are before even asking you take them out, so it must be common.

CdM, they hassled you because you look like a crook!   :smt044

-Allen

scorpaenichthys

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2017
I have a telescoping Shimano rod that I take with me every time I travel. It packs down to maybe 11", and I usually stick that in a bag with two lined reels, extra spools of mono & flouro leader, lead, forceps, and hooks of various sizes. All of that gets packed in my carry-on, and I've never gotten so much as a dirty look. I've heard bigger hooks can raise some eyebrows, but I've never had any trouble with anything 1/0 or smaller, even on international flights.
A man who is not afraid of the sea will soon be drowned. But we do be afraid of the sea, and we do only be drowned now and again.

&

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2005
Even if jig heads etc weren't expressly prohibited by rule, you run a very real risk of encountering sum arbitrary and capricious tsa isht hed hu thinx ur gear dangerous and won't let u carry on. It's not like the rules ar the rules and that's that - they got lotsa discretion, n typically nvr exercise in ur favr

Scruzfish

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2018
I have flown many many times with my fly gear.  I always carry them on, as replacing them would be expensive, and time consuming when I should be fishing.

I carry at least one rod, which is a 3 piece 9 foot.  Sometimes my 2 piece 9 foot.  I was worried about the 2 piece the first time,  but had zero issues.  You have to find a full size over head to put it in if your rod is that big.  Or ask the attendants if you can stash it in their closet.  I have seen that done many times,  but I like to have a few drinks on the plane to ease my flight anxiety and my stupid ass would forget my rod in the closet.  So overhead is safer for me.

I bring all my flies, pliers, snips etc on with me as well.  I do not bring a knife thoough.  I have never been hassled at all for any of my gear.

SF_fisher

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Figured I would report back on this - I picked up a couple of REI canvas pouches and put all my tackle in one and pliers, knife, and other "unpack-able" items in the other and put them in my rod case (large telescoping Bazooka).  I brought down a 30L Ice Mule cooler that I rolled up and strapped to my backpack.  Long story short, I had 1 backpack and only had to check my rod tube which was a huge cost saver.

Each time I do that trip I learn a little bit more.  Hope this helps a few people out!

C

wormguy

• The trouble with the rat race is that even if you win, you're still a rat
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2012
Perhaps naive question...Couldn't you Fed ex/ups your stuff to the place you are staying at and save the major luggage tax?
Native Slayer Propel 13
Hobie Revolution 11

• Cabeza de Martillo
  • View Profile
CdM, they hassled you because you look like a crook!   :s

just saw this  :smt097
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 08:24:10 PM by Cabeza de Martillo »