Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2024, 11:05:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 10:47:56 PM]

[Today at 10:07:55 PM]

[Today at 09:35:54 PM]

[Today at 09:13:54 PM]

[Today at 09:08:56 PM]

[Today at 08:43:02 PM]

[Today at 07:24:10 PM]

[Today at 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[Today at 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:57:35 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 04:54:29 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 01:54:14 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:53:02 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:47:27 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:36:28 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Choosing a fishfinder ???  (Read 2404 times)

Rmerrick

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2018
Adding a fishfinder to my Trident 13. Any help and or opinions will be greatly appreciated.

Adam415

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
I like a 5". Had a 7" and it was overkill. Currently I am using Lowrance hook 2. Its the 5" with downscan and chip for chartplotter. If you are going offshore I strongly recommend buying a gps combo with coastal charting capabilities so you dont get lost in the fog.
Wilderness Systems Radar 135
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160i
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCtFJdtY1W9M4MGfoz4Ndb8A

Scurvy

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2015
I like a 5". Had a 7" and it was overkill. Currently I am using Lowrance hook 2. Its the 5" with downscan and chip for chartplotter. If you are going offshore I strongly recommend buying a gps combo with coastal charting capabilities so you dont get lost in the fog.
Ditto, to which I’ll add that if you intend to crab and leave those traps, then GPS is key to finding them again (think 3’ seas). It’s also nice to be able navigate back to particularly productive structure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adam415

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
Ditto, to which I’ll add that if you intend to crab and leave those traps, then GPS is key to finding them again (think 3’ seas). It’s also nice to be able navigate back to particularly productive structur
Yes, forgot about the waypoints. I have been marking my salmon hookups and many times have hooked up again crossing the same area.
Wilderness Systems Radar 135
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160i
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCtFJdtY1W9M4MGfoz4Ndb8A

Crum

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2014
I have a Humminbird Helix 5.  I mounted it on the Mod Pod, so i can see and reach it easily.  With the through hull transducer mounted in the scupper and extra cable in the sonar hatch i didnt do any drilling in the hull.  Humminbird offers a trade in for the tranducer for $80, but you can get one at Austin Kayak fo around $100.

jp52

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2017
I have a Humminbird Helix 5 too and one of the deciding factors for me was the detailed base maps supplied by Humminbird. The detail is good enough that I did not have to buy a separate Navionics card.

As far as size a 5 inch screen is plenty big for me to see easily even though it is mounted a few feet away. I think a bigger unit would get in the way.

Definitely get a unit with GPS whatever brand you go with. There is a single button on the Humminbird that you can mark waypoints. One slightly annoying limitation is that you only have I think 5 digits to name waypoints so if you want to include information like what you caught you have to use a code or some shorthand. I don't know if other brands are limited like this.

Rmerrick

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2018
I Much appreciate the input. See you on the water

Fishboundsa

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2018
I recently bought the Garmin Striker with gps. Love it and it was only about $100!
Sean
Blue 10’ Native Propel kayak

wiscoarborist

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2018
That Hook2...can the transducer be mounted thru-hull in a kayak

Thanks

yakyakyak

• Sea Lion
  • Huh? What?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016

You definitely need GPS.  CHIRP is nice, but not necessary.   I would also recommend adding map.  If you are looking for Salmon, I would recommend side scan (so you know to turn left or right for target area).  3D stuff is not necessary and may be a negative since the transducer is so big (will slow you down if you don't mount it right).

As far as screen size, 5" is perfect, 7" is very nice but not necessary (and a battery drainer). 

Either way, you gotta seal any opening that may come off (i.e. card slot; use dielectric grease) and install fuse.  You should assume that you will flip and the whole thing will be submerged.  If you flip, you want to minimize damage if you can.  A fish finder is probably one of your top 5 most expensive thing in your yak.  Save the top 5 and you will feel better after a recovery.

Humminbird, Lowrance, or Raymarine.  Take your pick, I would base it on what's on sale for what you want.  If you have a Hobie, pick a Lowrance (Lowrance ease of use is built-in). 

Use Chet's battery (search for it here).  If my battery die (it's a Nocqua), I will switch to Chet's.

I mount mine within reach without having to get up cuz I like to fiddle with it often.  Just be careful and make sure it's not on the way to paddle or to sling your feet out in case you need to brace.

One more thing, probably a very good idea to mount it at the bottom if your kayak has a built in.  If you use one of those transducer arm for side mount, it will slow you down (may cut off up to 1.5 mph of your speed).

My 2 cents, use my write up at your own risk.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 08:08:05 PM by yakyakyak »
2019 Hobie Outback
2017 Hobie Adventure Island
2016 Santa Cruz Raptor G2 - Surf/stability champ!
2015 Hobie Revolution 16 - Speedster
2016 NuCanoe Frontier 12 - Extra stable with crazy load capability

-----------------
FOR SALE
-----------------

Rods and Reels: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=88549.0 (Shimanos, Casting/Spinning Rods + Reels

SlackedTide

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Yeah check how much battery draw, which ever FF you purchase ... decide on size battery accordingly. Lowrance are Battery hogs.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 12:46:49 AM by SlackedTide »
2014 Hobie Revo 13
2011 Hobie Outback - bye bye
1997 Tracker 17 Deep V<--- Money Pit

When you look outside the window, and all you see is fishing. True Story.

splashdown

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
Hey guys, a new Lithium Battery came out from Australia. 30 hour life and small. I saw it at mariner sails here in the Texas Metroplex. A little pricey, at $220.00 but it does last forever. Another new toy to trick out your 'yak!!! :smt003
"bull riding came about when some redneck stated, "hold my beer and watch this!"

Dallas HOW Chapter Coordinator

bigtuna

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015
Bigger is better, go with at least 7 inch.  You won't regret it...if you have a bigger battery to handle more power.  The lithium batteries are lightweight and have enough power to keep a 7 or 9inch fishfinder lit up all day.  Once you combine side scan (which requires the bigger transducers), you've got the screen split three ways, map, 2D sonar, sidescan.  It doesn't fit on a 5 inch screen.  I wish I would have gone with a 9 inch, but the price difference between a 7 and 9 is almost 2x.  But the price difference between 5 and 7 is not 2x and well worth the money.  The stock "chirp" transducers for Lowrance are junk, I don't know about Humminbird.  I think Huminbird has the latest and greatest for sidescan right now. Mega imaging they call it.  I used sidescan for the first time this year and I underestimated how much I would use it for bottom fishing < 100 feet of water.  It is perfect for finding structure or sand.  I HIGHLY recommend it for inshore kayak fishing. 

I know Garmin is up'ing their game with their stock chirp transducers but I think humminbird is the way to go if your kayak already fits the transducers. 

Absolutely without a doubt get GPS.  And get good maps.  The base map for Lowrance is horrible. 

Anyway, I'm a tech junkie who spends too much money on electronics so take my opinion with a grain of salt. And I have a tandem island with plenty of space so the bigger fish finder never feels too big or in the way.  I had a 5 inch on my jackson  bigtuna and that seemed ok.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 11:30:36 AM by bigtuna »

StuManChu

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2018
I'm using the Garmin Striker 4DV and it's worked like a champ. Really good on battery consumption and has GPS. The only complaint I have are the cable mounts on the back. They are just a slip in with no locking nut and one stray hard knock from your paddle or foot can either knock them out or disconnect the data/power feed.

Stu

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
I have an older Garmin, which is pretty basic, but seems to be indestructible.
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...