Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 11:11:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 09:36:02 PM]

[Today at 07:50:22 PM]

[Today at 07:21:34 PM]

[Today at 06:47:15 PM]

[Today at 05:06:27 PM]

[Today at 04:14:59 PM]

[Today at 01:34:22 PM]

[Today at 11:23:51 AM]

[Today at 11:17:48 AM]

[Today at 07:34:09 AM]

[Today at 06:29:43 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 10:51:18 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 05:04:30 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 04:26:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 03:46:32 PM]

[March 16, 2024, 04:27:23 PM]

[March 16, 2024, 03:44:48 PM]

[March 16, 2024, 11:15:48 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Apparently rockfish are venomous  (Read 4388 times)

BigJim

• A-Hull
  • Manatee
  • No white flags.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
I've gotten plenty of pokes that have hurt for awhile...

Worst one was from a big old verm a few years ago...hurt like a SUMBITCH!!

Didn't help that a piece of the spine broke off in my palm...

:smt013 :smt010

~GS4  2010-1st~
~DOTY 2013-1st~
~T2B2 2015-1st~
*DOTY: 2012-5th~2014-5th~2015-4th~2016-7th~2017-4th~2018-5th~2019-5th~2020-2nd*

Bushy

• Administrator
  • First, you do everything right.Then, you get lucky
  • View Profile http://theletsgofishingradioshow.com
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
My worst one was on a party boat at the Farralones when I kicked someone's fish out of my way, on the deck.  Wearing sneakers and the spine went in under my toenail.  OMG.

I think black and yellows are the worst in terms of venom.  Gophers are pretty bad too.  Curiously, these are two sub-species that are favored for live rockfish, they last a long time without dying.....Wonder if there's any correlation.

Luckily, I do not get a big-time allergic reaction as described above.  Just huge aching pain for 20 minutes or so.

Bushy
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 09:57:27 PM by Bushy »

SANTA CRUZ KAYAK FISHING Guide Service  2004
NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News

Archie Marx

• AOTY Committee
  • Hobie Revo 13 & 16
  • View Profile kayakcity.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2008
My worst one was on a party boat at the Farralones when I kicked someone's fish out of my way, on the deck.  Wearing sneakers and the spine went in under my toenail.  OMG.

I think black and yellows are the worst in terms of venom.  Gophers are pretty bad too.  Curiously, these are two sub-species that are favored for live rockfish, they last a long time without dying.....Wonder if there's any correlation.

Luckily, I do not get a big-time allergic reaction as described above.  Just huge aching pain for 20 minutes or so.

Bushy

I asked google your question and it said this:

http://content.cdlib.org/view?docId=kt8z09n9rg&brand=calisphere&doc.view=entire_text

I couldn't find the answer to your question, but interestingly enough... Not all spines of all rockfish are venomous, but all spines on browns and quillbacks are. People have been hospitalized for rockfish stings, but it's usually because of infection of the sting site.

1st - 2013 Angler of the Year- All time high score
1st - 2016 Angler of the Year
1st - 2016 CCKF AOTY - All time high score

Bushy

• Administrator
That IS interesting....

NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News

ryang85

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2016

Bushy
Gophers and b&y rockfish both seem to lay pretty fearless inside lingcod holes and in the open compared to any other rockfish. But i know lingcod eat them because i use them for bait. 

Uminchu Naoaki

• Fisherman from Okinawa
  • Sea Lion
  • Uminchu
  • View Profile my YouTube
  • Date Registered: Jun 2006
As far as I recall rockfish spines are venomous (there are venom glands). Secondly , rockfish slime contains enzymes called amino acid oxidases, some of which act like a venom. Thirdly, Staph and other bacteria resides on rockfish skin, and your skin and is a possible source of infection.

I might try a soak in a warm 1% iodine hypertonic solution (2tblspoons salt/1L+ some iodine). Or a hot compress with the same solution applied directly to the area.

I usually wash the area well, use a hot compress for a few min (if it's bad) and then keep it uncovered. So far so good.

To the best of my recollection symptoms begin to subside after no more than 72 hours and usually earlier.

Any medical professionals wanna speak up on this? I am curious too.
Love Dr.ATD answer!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archie Marx

• AOTY Committee
  • Hobie Revo 13 & 16
As far as I recall rockfish spines are venomous (there are venom glands). Secondly , rockfish slime contains enzymes called amino acid oxidases, some of which act like a venom. Thirdly, Staph and other bacteria resides on rockfish skin, and your skin and is a possible source of infection.

I might try a soak in a warm 1% iodine hypertonic solution (2tblspoons salt/1L+ some iodine). Or a hot compress with the same solution applied directly to the area.

I usually wash the area well, use a hot compress for a few min (if it's bad) and then keep it uncovered. So far so good.

To the best of my recollection symptoms begin to subside after no more than 72 hours and usually earlier.

Love Dr.ATD answer!!!

I did some more reading after I posted that reply, and it looks like the hot compress is the best option (with one major caveat). The reasoning is that rockfish toxin is heat labile.

The caveat is that I could find no indication as to the composition of rockfish venom, or if the venom is similar across species.  I suspect that the article was written under the ASSUMPTION that rockfish venom is heat labile. It could be a good assumption.

Does anyone know if rockfish venom composition has been studied? Does anyone have a mass spectrometer collecting dust in their garage?

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2014

Love Dr.ATD answer!!!

Does anyone know if rockfish venom composition has been studied? Does anyone have a mass spectrometer collecting dust in their garage?

I'm guessing no, from the very limited information on it. It seems odd that such a widely distributed, large genus of fish that are venomous have so little info.

Archie Marx

• AOTY Committee
  • Hobie Revo 13 & 16
Does anyone need a thesis?  :smt003

NCKA should start a research grant  :smt002

bioman

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2011
"1) Yes, heat, in whatever form, is the treatment of choice for fish venom wounds.

2) Rockfish venom has never been charactertized. I have been trying to get someone interested in this for 40 years, but to no avail.

3) It is known that the size of the venom gland at the base of the various fin spines varies with species and position of the spine. The potency may also, but this is unknown, vary among rockfish species."

(From Dr. Milton Love; More than you wanted to know about Pacific Fishes...."

rockfish

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Does anyone need a thesis?  :-D

NCKA should start a research grant  ;-)

Sounds like your PhD project, I've got a whole jar of change for the cause
Less Mental than before, Still savage AF tho <3

IG: she_savagly_gardens

ryang85

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2016
Wait is this venom, similar to the venom on sculpins? Ive been poked by rockfish and it usualy hurts for a day or two but ive  heard scuplins can send you to the hospital if they get you good.  Sculpins arnt related to rockfish but there seems to be little info on the  internet with this venom and how to treat it. Im always super paraniod releasing scuplins because i have no clue what to do if i get stuck by one.

Angel sharks are the only other fish that make me paraniod and i usually cut the line, and thats a very justifiable fear haha

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007
Sculpins arnt related to rockfish

That's okay, sculpins aren't related to sculpins either.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

Bushy

• Administrator
So hot compress is the 1st aid.  We are SOL in the kayaks then.....

B

NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
So hot compress is the 1st aid.  We are SOL in the kayaks then.....

B

Aren't we back to peeing on it?   :smt005

-Allen

anything