Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:31:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 11:27:54 AM]

[Today at 11:22:14 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Stand up bar DIY project, ideas welcome.  (Read 6488 times)

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007
I'm spending the next 2-3 weeks modding my G2 and I need a stand up bar.  Talking with baitman earlier I think I'm going to mount it forward of the cockpit on the gunwales rather than put it on the rails.  I don't want the mounts to interfere with the wheeleze wheel and Ideally the bar would fold away, although using pins to hold it and remove it is an option also.

Has anybody installed one?  Used a premanufactured one and had good results?  I'm open but need to move soon, I want it done by weekend of March 18 and I still need to do all the electrical install, which is first up.

I've googled around and got some ideas, I'd love to hear what you guys have done.  I'll update this thread with progress and pics.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

Bulldog---Alex

• Sea Lion
  • 27.4 lb Cali Hali
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2006
Good luck Oyster. Look forward to seeing the end product. I should be owning a G2 in the near future. Went to Jim's shop the other week .   :smt007

Alex
Enjoying the fam
PA14
Revo 13
Hobie Outback

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
This is another nice DIY on a jackson that is mounted to fold down the opposite way.

http://jacksonkayak.com/blog/2014/01/30/jackson-kayak-cruise-12-lean-bar/

That would clearly interfere with the wheeleze, but could be easily popped out with the clevis pins.  Added advantage of having the v paddle rest, although that's easy enough to add to Jim's design.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

Baitman

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
I purchased those bimini parts from www.duckworks.com     Used 1/2"  emt conduit... The cross piece allows you to angle the bar back to a position that is comfortable while standing..

Cost was something around 20 bucks total...   

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with !  :smt006
Sometimes the fish isn't the only prize.
2nd place  Simply Fishing 2013
   Designer  Raptor kayaks

You must pass through the valley of stupidity to ascend the mountain of knowledge.

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Finished. Can't wait to try it out. I just have to finish my electrical work and install the fish finder and I'm ready to fish. On schedule for next weekend and maybe a shakedown trip before that.

"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

Baitman

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
    Lookin good !    Is there a  quick release so you can fold it forward?
Sometimes the fish isn't the only prize.
2nd place  Simply Fishing 2013
   Designer  Raptor kayaks

You must pass through the valley of stupidity to ascend the mountain of knowledge.

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
    Lookin good !    Is there a  quick release so you can fold it forward?

Not yet.  4 clevis pins cost half as much as I spent on the entire bar.  Locating the correct size locally hasn't worked so I was going to look when I get to a bigger city.  All the stainless steel clevis pins here are either too short or too long.

I'm looking for something like this since the pins I'm finding locally are all $6-8 each anyway.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DEX5YVA/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ABM88BG2T8GM2

self contained, no cotter pin to worry about.  I wouldn't plan on using the tether.  I can get this pin in the correct size from Englund but its $9 each!
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

Abdiver

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2007
I'd say probably flip the bar positions (front to back-back to front) so that the paddle holder portion is in front of you. That way when your standing up and need to grab the paddle for any reason you don't have to lean back and pull it up and over the bar.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 08:46:46 AM by Abdiver »
Ocean Kayak Pro Staff
Johnson Outdoors

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I'd say probably flip the bar positions (front to back-back to front) so that the paddle holder portion is in front of you. That way when your standing up and need to grab the paddle for any reason you don't have to lean back and pull it up and over the bar.

I gave some thought to the direction and I don't think I understand what you mean. It seems to me that it will be easier to grab the paddle the way I did it, not harder.  I figured the commercially available bars did it the opposite way for safety reasons since the ends of the conduit are facing the cockpit and at least theoretically could hurt a guy. I gave that part some thought too. I capped the conduit ends and have thought about putting some rubber or padding on them just in case.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

Abdiver

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2007
I gave some thought to the direction and I don't think I understand what you mean. It seems to me that it will be easier to grab the paddle the way I did it, not harder.  I figured the commercially available bars did it the opposite way for safety reasons since the ends of the conduit are facing the cockpit and at least theoretically could hurt a guy. I gave that part some thought too. I capped the conduit ends and have thought about putting some rubber or padding on them just in case.

What I was meaning was if you are leaning against the bar fishing you'd pin the paddle between you and the bar. In turn you would have to lean back, grab the paddle, and pull it up and over the bar. If it works for you I'd say leave it.
Ocean Kayak Pro Staff
Johnson Outdoors

VK

yakyakyak

• Sea Lion
  • Huh? What?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016
2019 Hobie Outback
2017 Hobie Adventure Island
2016 Santa Cruz Raptor G2 - Surf/stability champ!
2015 Hobie Revolution 16 - Speedster
2016 NuCanoe Frontier 12 - Extra stable with crazy load capability

-----------------
FOR SALE
-----------------

Rods and Reels: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=88549.0 (Shimanos, Casting/Spinning Rods + Reels

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
I like your bar.  Could hold a shotgun there!

For pins, check your local tractor supply store.  Home Depot carry them too.  I have quite a stock I got at a place in Sacramento called Blue Collar Supply.  They sell hardware by the pound. 

Mojo Jojo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2016
Looking good OB if the tube is the right diameter get a couple of walking cane tips from the old fellas section of your pharmacy.  AND STAY OFF MY LAWN

2013 Jackson Big Tuna.........Ours
2011 Native Mariner Propel 12.5...His
2015 Native Slayer Propel 13.......Hers
20?? Emotion ,Sparky.....7 yr old grandson's
Event Coordinator
Heroes On the Water
North Oregon Coast Chapter
Team C.O.D. FISHING (Crazy Old Dudes)just for forum fun challenges