Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:08:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 18, 2024, 10:26:01 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:39:34 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:53:15 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:54:40 PM]

by jp52
[April 18, 2024, 02:25:47 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 02:15:59 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 01:10:11 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 11:10:06 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:46:32 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:43:09 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:32:03 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:07:55 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Unprovoked shark attack on kayak  (Read 3508 times)

El Cap

• Sardine
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2017
Hopefully this is the correct forum to post this in - I'm new here.  I have been kayak fishing in California quite a long time (off and on for 40 years - honest), but something happened to me the other day that I thought was worthy of sharing with this group.  I usually kayak fish alone off the Pescadero coast (San Mateo county), and yes I know it is 'sharky' down there.  Fortunately I was fishing with a friend last Tuesday Aug. 1, and it was also fortunate that I was using my heavy Cobra Tourer model that day, rather than a lighter Tsunami 15' kevlar boat I usually use.  Things might have turned out differently if I had been alone and in that boat.  I'm going to copy and paste the objective write-up I have submitted to Ray Collier's Shark Research Committee which will give you the pertinent info of the event, which I'm sure will elicit many questions and comments, and I'll do my best to respond when and if I can.  And for the record - I suffered no physical injuries from the attack on my kayak.  I was previously aware of one other shark-kayak interaction in this area (off Bean Hollow), but I have since discovered 2 other shark-kayak events along this section of coast between Pescadero and Pigeon Pt.  Perhaps some of these folks are members here?

Unprovoked Shark Attack Report – Kayak

Date:  Aug. 1, 2017

I was kayak fishing with one other kayaker approximately 300 yards offshore, between Pescadero Pt. and the northern Bean Hollow State beach (37.2381N, 122.4217W).  Water depth was 30-35 feet.  I had just caught a fish, and had put it on a stringer with one other fish, and hung the stringer in the water just aft of my seat.  Without any warning, a white shark struck a few feet forward of the port bow of my kayak.  I saw about 3-4’ of the shark’s head come out of the water as it bit into the side of the kayak.  The force rolled my kayak over to starboard, putting me in the water.  When I surfaced my immediate instinct was to climb on top of my overturned kayak, but the shark was still engaged to the bow of the kayak and thrashing about.  Once the shark submerged I pulled myself on top of the upside down kayak, and my friend paddled alongside me.  I was not injured, but needed a few moments to assess the situation and my condition.  There was no sign of the shark, so I slipped in the water between our two kayaks, and as quick as possible flipped my kayak over and pulled myself aboard.  The center hatch of my kayak had not been latched down and had come off on impact, so my kayak had taken on a bit of water, making it sluggish but stable.  We gathered up my floating gear around us, and just as we were preparing to paddle into shore I saw a large ‘boil’ of water directly under my boat, which clearly indicated to me that a shark was still there.  I would estimate that from time of initial attack to this observation was 5-10 minutes.  We paddled towards shore and then northward along the shoreline to our put-in spot at Pescadero Point.  There are numerous bite marks and scratches on the bow of the kayak – photos available.

I would estimate the size of the shark to be approx 10’ or less, based on my view of the head – I never saw the entire body.  The boil I saw a bit later looked to me to be from a very large shark (I’ve had some experience working with research shark taggers at the Farallon Islands, and have seen a number of large white sharks from a small tagging skiff) – I can’t say for sure but based on the size of the boil this may have been a different/larger shark than the one that attacked the kayak.

Weather:  foggy, visibility ranged from <100 yards to ¼ mile, wind NW 5kts.
Air temp. 60F, water temp. 58F,  water visibility 2-3’, green color
Kayak:  Cobra Tourer model, 14’4”, blue/green color (other kayak was white, 12’)
Time of attack:  approx. 10:45am

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Thank you for sharing this here.  I'm glad you didn't suffer any injuries.
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Dang...you seem so cool...are you going back?  Does this incident truly decrease your odds of another encounter?  If you had a sharkshield you would have mentioned it. I am glad you are alright. :smt006
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 09:54:17 PM by Eddie »
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

Fisherman X

• Sea Lion
  • Going to the ocean is going home
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
Thanks for the well presented report. I am glad that you did not suffer any personal physical damage. Interesting that there might have been two animals in attendance. Please follow up here on what the researchers gather from your report and observations.
-Success is living the life you want-
Joel ><>

Hammerhead avatar in memory of CdM

Bushy

• Administrator
  • First, you do everything right.Then, you get lucky
  • View Profile http://theletsgofishingradioshow.com
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
How does one "provoke" a shark attack?  I've always wondered?  They are not  grizzly bears.  I sort of resent that Collier guy for sensationalizing.  Though I'm sure what you experienced was pretty sensational. 

Glad you are OK.  That's a real scare I hope I never have to experience. 

Two Tips:  Don't leave your stringer in the water (furbags, not sharks)  And, always keep your hatches dogged.

Bushy

SANTA CRUZ KAYAK FISHING Guide Service  2004
NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News

KPD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
Yikes! Really glad you didn't get hurt. Thank you for the detailed and well-written report.

I was checked out by what appeared to be a great white just south of there. It looked like it rushed me from below and changed its mind before reaching the surface.

Not sure I would consider this unprovoked though, paddling around near Bean Hollow in a seal-mimic topwater lure.  :smt001 :smt006
Wanted to buy: Stealth ProFisha 575 or 525

Fisherman X

• Sea Lion
  • Going to the ocean is going home
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
Bushy wrote:
How does one "provoke" a shark attack?

Good question - hmm, heavy chumming, dragging a seal-like profile object.

KPD has a point about kayaks in general.
-Success is living the life you want-
Joel ><>

Hammerhead avatar in memory of CdM

nuvomax

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
Pretty scary situation.  Glad you got away unscathed and able to share this with us.

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
Thank you for the detailed report. I love/hate reading them though. Love you are able to report it; hate that it happened to you.
Thankfully you are OK.
Can I assume your feet were not in the water at the time of the attack?
We have a saying here on the board; no pics, didn't happen........just sayin'  :smt002
<=>

kayakjack

• Sea Lion
  • kayakjack
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
kayak fishing California for 40yrs and now you decide to join NCKA?.......why?

DG

• Sea Lion
  • First joined in 2013
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2014
I was thinking the same thing Jack. 

-------------------------------------

I think it's great that there is shark research.  I just don't agree with the way they attract sharks with chum and hunks of fish from small boats.  They now associate small boats and stringers with an easy meal.  And now we are all in more danger because of it. 
-----------------------------------
NorCAL HOW Volunteer

2018 NCKA - DOTY Committee Member

2017 DOTY 2 biggest fish awards
2016 DOTY 2nd place / 4 biggest fish awards
2016 Triton X - 2nd place
2016 Triton Open - Biggest Lingcod
2014 DOTY - 1 biggest fish award

yakyakyak

• Sea Lion
  • Huh? What?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016

Thank you for taking the time to share a detailed report.  I am glad everything turned out OK for you.  Would love a pic of the damage of the kayak out of curiosity, but it's really not that important.  Thanks again!

2019 Hobie Outback
2017 Hobie Adventure Island
2016 Santa Cruz Raptor G2 - Surf/stability champ!
2015 Hobie Revolution 16 - Speedster
2016 NuCanoe Frontier 12 - Extra stable with crazy load capability

-----------------
FOR SALE
-----------------

Rods and Reels: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=88549.0 (Shimanos, Casting/Spinning Rods + Reels

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
Good that only the kayak sustained injuries. Maybe it's time for a shark shield?
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Thank you for sharing your experience. That's some scary stuff. I think this is the 5th or 6th attack along that stretch of SM coast. With a handful of them being active members here. And the third such encounter I've heard about this year on the central coast. Seems to be happening more frequently in the last few years.
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

NotaSeal

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2013
I was thinking the same thing Jack. 

-------------------------------------

I think it's great that there is shark research.  I just don't agree with the way they attract sharks with chum and hunks of fish from small boats.  They now associate small boats and stringers with an easy meal.  And now we are all in more danger because of it.

I totally agree. I'm glad somebody said it.
"Look for it in yourself - it's there, and it has many forms.  "It" is a way to live that benefits you by doing your best to do the right thing by others." LoletaEric

anything