Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:24:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 11:13:05 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 03:17:35 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Pacific Warriors new Discovery Channel Series Kayak Fishing BIG GAME  (Read 19609 times)

• Cabeza de Martillo
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
Jason was not very good about keeping in touch with his partner, presuming his radio is working.

Is that the guy that's training the other guy?

How does he expect him to keep up with him if he has a hobie and the trainee is paddling?

Good show though its worth recording the series.
Pronounced in Spanish  ka·be·za de mar·t·yo
Translates to Hammerhead in English for my Gringo amigos.
....and yes that's me with a 6ft. green moray in the avatar.

"Spearos before Hos" - Silent Hunter

"Give your son a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach him how to spearfish and he'll feed you for a lifetime" - Cabeza de Martillo

Proud Papa of ...........
2018 JAOTY Lucas aka Baja Ninja
2018 JDOTY Noah aka Silent Hunter

SeaWeed

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2008
Jason was not very good about keeping in touch with his partner, presuming his radio is working.

Is that the guy that's training the other guy?

How does he expect him to keep up with him if he has a hobie and the trainee is paddling?

Good show though its worth recording the series.

My thoughts as well. This show could be a good advertising for the stuff we use.

SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!!

Fishcomb

• Sea Lion
  • Banted by Moderators
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2012
It'd be nice if they could get them to wear PFDs...
  :smt012
  I noticed that as well, not one kayaker shown in the few trailers I've caught was wearing one! I guess the bathtub warm waters of Hawaii aren't a threat for them.
  Didn't catch any episodes of this seasons shark week, and by the sounds of a previous post, I didn't miss much! :smt044

When I fished out of kona last summer I was straight up called a faggot for wearing a pfd.

Sigh
I'd rather be called faggot instead of using my paddle wrong  :smt044

HamachiJohn

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009
On their Facebook group someone asked about why they don't wear PDF's. They were very hostile about even mentioning the subject. Said it made self rescue too difficult and that they couldn't swim fast enough with a PDF on to catch up with a drifting kayak. One calmer head did offer the explanation that when you are running two lines, the line could get caught in your PDF and the fish could drag you off and down.
I guess that will be the explanation at the next funeral, God forbid...
Down to 1 Hobie Revo...

krusty

• No stinkin'
  • Sea Lion
  • Is This Edible?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
  I noticed that as well, not one kayaker shown in the few trailers I've caught was wearing one! I guess the bathtub warm waters of Hawaii aren't a threat for them.
  Didn't catch any episodes of this seasons shark week, and by the sounds of a previous post, I didn't miss much! :smt044

When I fished out of kona last summer I was straight up called a faggot for wearing a pfd.

Sigh

Good eye!

• Cabeza de Martillo
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011

Sigh

Good eye!

It's referred to as his "Gay-dar"  :smt044 :smt044
Pronounced in Spanish  ka·be·za de mar·t·yo
Translates to Hammerhead in English for my Gringo amigos.
....and yes that's me with a 6ft. green moray in the avatar.

"Spearos before Hos" - Silent Hunter

"Give your son a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach him how to spearfish and he'll feed you for a lifetime" - Cabeza de Martillo

Proud Papa of ...........
2018 JAOTY Lucas aka Baja Ninja
2018 JDOTY Noah aka Silent Hunter

Da Bruddah

• Salmon
  • Da Bruddah with my son Gabe, Whitefish, Montana
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2013
Eh NCKA Bruddahs,
I grew up on the Big Island in the 50 & 60"s on the Hamakua Coast in a little sugar plantation communitycalled Ninole.  My Dad was a old time fishermen and he and his  buddies use to scale the tall cliffs, haul their Indian Bamboo fishing poles, homemade burlap bag back pack mostly at night. The ocean on our side of the Big  Island was powerful as it is the unprotected part of the island. The Kona side where all of tourist resorts are is the protected side and really calm. My Dad used to stand on the big rocks with the big waves pounding the big boulders and cliffs and if were swept away, you were a gonner as there would be no way to get back on the rocks, I wish that I had some pictures of the incredible fish that my Dad and our family friends caught with just a bamboo pole. We used to stay up late at night and wait for him to come back and most of the times he brought back what I can say if the best tasting fish ever (Moi, Aholehole, Kumu, Tohei-White Eel, Red Parrotfish-Uhu).
I think that the guys who caught the 100# Ahi, must have offloaded the big fish in the camera boat because it would be a treacherous paddle in with a big fish like that on a small one man kayak. My brother-in law was a commercial fisherman for a few years and he would go out of a harbor called Pohoiki near Kalapana where the active volcanoes are comingdown into the ocean (South East Hawaii). One night, my Dad, my older bruddah and myself went out with him. We headed out to sea in the early evening and when you headed out the small harbor, you had to time your launch when the wave sets were smaller and push the throttle full power to push through the breakers and not get capsized by a big breaker. We went some miles out and at night, this was when the volcano just started erupting and the stars and milky way were blazing and you could see the red and orange lava flow coming down all the way to the ocean. We were fishing for Ahi and they were catching a lot of fish that summer, I forget what year it was? The water was so clear you see the mackerel bait (opelu-mackeral family)disappear down the ocean depths and we only used Dacron hand lines and gloves to pull the fish up because the object was to pull the fish up as fast as you could so that the Ahi blood would get too hot and burn the flesh of the fish as it was going to be eaten for sashimi only. We dropped the bait down really deep and when the ahi first hit, it didn't feel that strong. We were drifting with a parachute and had a underwater light at the back end of the boat. When we started pulling up the Ahi and as it got closer to the surface, it would see the light and start diving.That night I hooked a 100 lb ahi right up the nose and to this day this is the strongest fish that I have ever yanked up. I was bracing my self on the side the the boat and I had to use every ounce of my strength to bring the fish to the surface where my brother in law would gaff it, haul it in the boat, beat the hell out and then bleed the fish right away and put it on ice/ That night we caught 10 Ahi, the smallest was the I one I caught 100#'s and the biggest was around 200#'s. Most of the fish were 150#+. The inside of the boat in short time ended up looking like one gory, bloody mess, as every big fish had to be bled out as soon as it was caught.
The kicker was they were catching so much ahi that summer the wholesale price of Ahi was about $1.50 a lb. Can you believe that back in the late 80's it was that cheap!!! That was the greatest fishing adventure I have ever had on the Big Island. Yeah, I agree that it is the best Island for fishing!!!
My brother-in-law was kind of bummed out, man. All that Ahi tuna and cheap as hell!!! He gave up fishing a few years later, couldn't make a living, too expensive to go fishing, gas up and buy bait!!!
That just came out of me. I wasn't planning on writing this, but I had to tell  this story of the greatest fisherman that I knew, MY DAD. He passed away in 1993, WWII Vet, 442nd and 100th Battalion, Purple Heart, Bronze. His buddies gave their lives for this country in large numbers in Italy and France.
That's the true Pacific Warriors!!!!
Mahalo,
Da Bruddah

My Dad Wallace Sadanori Yamagata , 442nd, 100th Battalion, Rescued the "Lost Battalion" in the mountains in France. They had over 800 Pacific Warriors killed or wounded to rescue a Battalion from Texas of 200 men that were trapped on a German fortified mountain top. They were ordered by their General (General Dahlquist) to charge up the mountain and rescue the Lost Battalion who were pinned down and running out of food and ammo. My Dad's commander protested and tried to stop this action , he told the General that "it was a suicide mission". Do you think that that the fact that they were Japanese-Americans, they were more expendable? I think so!!!The 442nd and 100th were put on the front line, most often the first to bust through German artillery flying over their heads. They paid dearly for that. My Dad could have been on of those killed in action. He was wounded, but survived. I could have  easily not even existed now.
My Dad and his Hawaii Bruddahs were real heroes. That's true bravery!!!
I am proud to be his 2nd son!!!!

« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 12:28:53 AM by Da Bruddah »
Enjoy this slide show that were taken today:
Link to Point San Pablo Yacht Harbor-7/15/17 NCKA Fishing Tournament:

Link to 7-15-17 Striper?Hali Tournament Slideshow:

http://play.smilebox.com/SpreadMoreHappy/4e4455314d6a51344e7a5a384d5441304f4445324e7a63780d0a

2016 Hobie Revo 13
2014 Hobie Oasis Tandem

rshu

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
da bruddah, much respect to your father, indeed a true pacific warrior! thanks for sharing your story.

Otter

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009
Great stories Da Bruddah. Your dad sounds like an amazing man! Love the part about the old school island fishing too. Sounds like a crazy time!

-Eliot

b.shadee

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
All I can say: really nice read. Thanks so much for sharing.

bpowa

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2014
Thanks for the good read Bruddah. Very visual.   Yeah the show seems scripted, but to me I just look at it as entertainment.

Big thanks to your father and friends, Infantry = Pure Sacrifice.

e2g

• Sea Lion
  • 53 lb seabass
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
 Wallace Sadanori Yamagata WILL be in my memory forever, one of the guys who made mainstreet USA eventually accept the Japanese Americans. F'ng courage and patriotism those guys showed is awe inspiring
Winner 2011 MBK Derby
Winner 2009 Fishermans Warehouse Santa Cruz Tournament
Winner 2008 MBK Derby

Da Bruddah

• Salmon
  • Da Bruddah with my son Gabe, Whitefish, Montana
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2013
Thanks Bruddahs for your kind, inspiring and moving words. My Dad is smiling tonight!!!
The bravery and courage that he and da other Japanese Bruddahs showed if often overlook or not really recognized. The story just came out of as I sat down and started to reply and I wasn't planning to write about what I did.
One good about us NCKA Bruddahs, we can talk about anything and when we come from the heart, we all connect together.
Mahalo nui loa,
Da Bruddah
Michael Y.
Enjoy this slide show that were taken today:
Link to Point San Pablo Yacht Harbor-7/15/17 NCKA Fishing Tournament:

Link to 7-15-17 Striper?Hali Tournament Slideshow:

http://play.smilebox.com/SpreadMoreHappy/4e4455314d6a51344e7a5a384d5441304f4445324e7a63780d0a

2016 Hobie Revo 13
2014 Hobie Oasis Tandem

ravensblack

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2007
Oh man. Michael awesome stories my man. You are so proud of your father. I can feel the love and respect flowing from you. That's a lot of tuna! Holy shit.  :smt007
"I always entertain great hope" Robert Frost

eelkram

• Sea Lion
  • it's my name, backwards
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013
FYI, the USS Hornet in Alameda had (has?) a room dedicated to the 442 with some nice displays and history. It was a few years ago since I visited though.
'15 Viking ProFish Reload, wasp
'11 Hobie Revo 13, skunk yellow
'12 Hobie Outfitter, dune (I'm the guy pedaling in the back)