Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:17:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:49:33 AM]

[Today at 11:22:14 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: SFO bay  (Read 1148 times)

Johny23

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2017
Can I throw a line and drop a crab trap at the same time while in a kayak?

Thank you, thank you very much.

simplycook

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2014

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
It depends...
Usually, yes.
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

E Kayaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2010
Can I throw a line and drop a crab trap at the same time while in a kayak?

Thank you, thank you very much.
I don't think you can crab inside the Golden Gate Bridge if that's what you mean by SFO Bay.
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=42846.msg470404#msg470404

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.  ~John Buchan

Dale L

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2005
I believe the answer is yes, SF bay system goes by ocean regs with specific exceptions, like one rod, but I can't find any limitation on crabbing except specifically can't keep dungeness, I know you can also hoop net shrimp if you have a fine enough mesh,  while I haven't caught shrimp in the bay in the last 50 years or so, I did ask a warden about it last year and he said yes.

And don't forget this is just my opinion,

The new e-reg system sucks, find a copy of the book.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 07:13:20 PM by Dale L »

Johny23

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2017
Same here.  I couldn’t find anything about it too. 

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Same here.  I couldn’t find anything about it too.
Pretty sure it is one line east of the ggb until carquinez bridge, then you need a two rod card east of that bridge
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

E Kayaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I believe the answer is yes, SF bay system goes by ocean regs with specific exceptions, like one rod, but I can't find any limitation on crabbing except specifically can't keep dungeness, I know you can also hoop net shrimp if you have a fine enough mesh,  while I haven't caught shrimp in the bay in the last 50 years or so, I did ask a warden about it last year and he said yes.

And don't forget this is just my opinion,

The new e-reg system sucks, find a copy of the book.

It didn't occur to me he might be trying for rock crab. It is Dungeness crab I was referring to.

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.  ~John Buchan

bmb

• Please unsubscribe me from the
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
i can't think of any reg that would limit the number of rock crab traps you use in the bay.

simplycook

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I'm pretty confident that crab traps and hoop nets are still consider fishing gear and fall under the same one line rule inside SF Bay Area.   Unless fishing off a public pier then two lines or two traps are permitted. 

E Kayaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
29.80 (a) (2)
Nets, traps or other appliances may not be
used except as provided in this Section.

29.80 (b)
Hoop nets may be used to take spiny lob- sters and all species of crabs. Between Point Arguello, Santa Barbara County, and the United States-Mexico border,

29.80 (3)
 Hoop nets used south of Point Arguello shall be marked with a surface buoy.  The surface buoy shall be legibly marked to identify the operator’s GO ID number as stated on the operator’s sport  shing license or lobster report card. Hoop nets deployed from persons on shore or man- made structures connected to the shore are not required to be marked with a surface buoy.

29.80 (c) (3)
Starting August 1, 2016, every crab trap except those used under authority of sub- section 29.85(a)(5) of these regulations shall be marked with a buoy. Each buoy shall be legibly marked to identify the operator’s GO ID number as stated on his/her sport  shing license.

29.80 (e)
Crab trap areas: Crab traps, including crab loop traps, may be used north of Point Ar- guello, Santa Barbara County to take all species of crabs (see regulations for take of Dungeness crabs in traps from commercial passenger  shing vessels in Section 29.85,
Title 14, CCR).

29.85 (a) (1)
Closure: Dungeness crab may not be taken from or possessed if taken from San Francisco Bay and San Pablo Bay, plus all their tidal bays, sloughs and es- tuaries between the Golden Gate Bridge
and Carquinez Bridge.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 05:44:23 AM by traildad »

E Kayaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Interesting, I see you can't do anything except as provided. It says hoop traps can be used down south. I can't find where it says they can be used up north.

SteveS doesn't kayak anymore

• grumpy ex-kayaker
  • Sea Lion
  • winter sturgeon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
crab trap or net isn't considered a rod..

simplycook

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
crab trap or net isn't considered a rod..

It may not be a rod and line, but I would think its still considered a "line" or a means of a fishing rig/setup.
Pier rules designates "no person shall use more than two rods/lines, two hand lines, or two nets/traps" or a combination between the three, with still a set max of two setups.  This leads me to believe that nets/traps are equal to a hand line or a rod/line.  Everywhere else in the SF Bay, its one rod and line on shore or boat. 

Now, I know these rules apply to fin-fish and there doesn't seem to an direct answer in 29.80. Gear Restrictions for Crustaceans section.  Guess its up to your own interpretation of the rules and asking (or explaining them to) a F&G warden.

anything