Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 06, 2024, 01:45:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[May 05, 2024, 11:01:16 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:21:31 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 08:00:47 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 06:41:33 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 04:42:12 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 01:30:36 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 11:50:56 AM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:21:59 AM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:03:44 AM]

[May 05, 2024, 09:10:35 AM]

[May 05, 2024, 08:03:37 AM]

[May 05, 2024, 06:34:21 AM]

[May 05, 2024, 02:42:39 AM]

[May 04, 2024, 10:50:54 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 08:32:14 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 06:25:48 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 05:21:33 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Siwash trolling hooks for salmon  (Read 2713 times)

Malibu_Two

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
My octos are 4/0 so I wanted something a little bigger in front. Thanks for the tip though.
May the fish be mighty and the seas be meek...

AlexB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Cool, thanks. I just tied this up...looks pretty similar. I added a little piece of a plastic sleeve to keep the snell in place. One green bead. Any suggested improvements before I try it out later this week?
That looks like it should work great, but I'm not exactly sure what the plastic sleeve is for. Did you tie a sliding snell? Both my hooks are "hard tied" using an egg loop style snell (don't need the egg loop...just the way I learned to do it).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Malibu_Two

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
The way I tie them is I put the main line back through the eye (after all the wrapping), but the line can unravel if I push it backwards. This isn't usually an issue though as the weight of the hook alone prevents that. Is there a lock or something I should use?

Anyway, not really a problem, and the sleeve isn't even all that necessary.

AlexB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
If you're tying a snell correctly, it'll lock down really tight. There should be no way you can loosen it without a sharp blade. It might hold OK, but I'd be worried...

This video shows the same way I tie mine (they call it a hoochie rig, but it's just two hooks snelled inline):

bmb

• Please unsubscribe me from the
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
If you're tying a snell correctly, it'll lock down really tight. There should be no way you can loosen it without a sharp blade. It might hold OK, but I'd be worried...

This video shows the same way I tie mine (they call it a hoochie rig, but it's just two hooks snelled inline):

yeah I do my front hook similarly.  I tie the back hook with a traditional snell knot, but the front one i do the "cheater" snell as you don't need to do the loop all the way down, which can be a PITA.  But I generally do that only with kokanee gear as kokanee won't break the line and the line is a lot more limp than 25 or 30lb fluoro.

I simply haven't fished enough for ocean kings this year due to lack of time and other family commitments.  only been out 2 times for real and two after work trips. 

Malibu_Two

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Thanks guys. I followed the video and now have some kick ass two-hook Apexes ready to go...

AlexB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Ah... fluoro.... yeah, that stuff can be really stiff.

Salmon aren't line shy when it comes to trolling, so (IMHO) fluoro is expensive overkill. I use 25 pound P-line CXX for my main line and 30 pound P-Line CXX for my leaders. Some commercial trollers use MUCH heavier line and still get bit just fine.

AlexB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Thanks guys. I followed the video and now have some kick ass two-hook Apexes ready to go...
Nice! Glad to help.

Otter

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009

Salmon aren't line shy when it comes to trolling, so (IMHO) fluoro is expensive overkill. I use 25 pound P-line CXX for my main line and 30 pound P-Line CXX for my leaders. Some commercial trollers use MUCH heavier line and still get bit just fine.

Agreed nothing wrong with heavy line for salmon trolling. I fish 40# big game or izorline and hook up just fine. It also helps limit line twist problems to have a heavier leader.

Mooching is a different story but not many mooch anymore.

-Eliot

bmb

• AOTY Committee
  • View Profile

I don't use the true floro, just the cheap P line fluoro coated stuff.  I like it better for abrasion resistance, although the stiffness can be a bit annoying.

AlexB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile

I don't use the true floro, just the cheap P line fluoro coated stuff.  I like it better for abrasion resistance, although the stiffness can be a bit annoying.
Ah, gotcha.

For what it's worth, I've never lost a salmon to line breakage using the 30 pound P-line. (Or any other line for that matter). Keeping your drag set properly is the key.

Uminchu Naoaki

• Fisherman from Okinawa
  • Sea Lion
  • Uminchu
  • View Profile my YouTube
  • Date Registered: Jun 2006
I started using new Owner no escape barbless hook https://www.ownerhooks.com/product/barbless-no-escape/  for salmon & sturgeon, so far so good for salmon but haven't hooked sturgeon yet...
I really like Owner hooks & totally sold on packaging[emoji7]

AlexB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I started using new Owner no escape barbless hook https://www.ownerhooks.com/product/barbless-no-escape/  for salmon & sturgeon, so far so good for salmon but haven't hooked sturgeon yet...

I like the shape of that hook. Just wish they made it in stainless! I'm tired of throwing away rusty gear.

Uminchu Naoaki

• Fisherman from Okinawa
  • Sea Lion
  • Uminchu
  • View Profile my YouTube
  • Date Registered: Jun 2006

I like the shape of that hook. Just wish they made it in stainless! I'm tired of throwing away rusty gear.

Only started using them this year & don't know what they're made of but haven't rusted or dulled yet...

« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 11:07:13 PM by Uminchu Naoaki »

bmb

• AOTY Committee
  • View Profile

Only started using them this year & don't know what they're made of but haven't rusted or dulled yet...

those look great and owners are pretty bomb proof.  looks similar to a sickle style hook.