Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 10:09:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:56:12 AM]

[Today at 08:46:36 AM]

[Today at 08:45:08 AM]

[Today at 08:01:43 AM]

[Today at 06:30:45 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:50:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

by Rick
[April 23, 2024, 06:21:18 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:23:34 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Oakland area fishing shop  (Read 1609 times)

Mountain Wolf

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2017
I was hoping to find a good local shop to support and was bummed to hear Outdoor Pro in Oakland closed, but today I stopped into West Marine. The employees seemed friendly, but said they were "noobs" and still learning about fishing. It is a chain, but at least its supporting a physical retail location.

They had decent stock (2 Ugly Tigers 7' medium I will buy) and said they can order anything on the website.  Prices looked MSRP.  They had a decent looking selection of refrigeratorated bait. I would rather give my money to a independently owned place.  Any other closish places to check out?

-Wolf

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

AlexB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Oakland is seriously lacking a good tackle shop... Mike's Bait (or whatever it's called now) is a joke. I have no idea how they even pay rent/mortgage off what they sell, let alone bring home any profit.

I like Castro Valley Sportsman's Center (in Castro Valley, obviously). I live in East Oakland and it only takes me about 10 minutes to get there. The same woman works there every day, and she's very knowledgeable and friendly. It's not a giant shop like Outdoor Pro was, but they have all the necessities for Bay Area freshwater and saltwater fishing, including tray bait for salmon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 05:16:03 PM by AlexB »

Mountain Wolf

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Oakland is seriously lacking a good tackle shop... Mike's Bait (or whatever it's called now) is a joke. I have no idea how they even pay rent/mortgage off what they sell, let alone bring home any profit.

I like Castro Valley Sportsman's Center (in Castro Valley, obviously). I live in East Oakland and it only takes me about 10 minutes to get there. The same woman works there every day, and she's very knowledgeable and friendly. It's not a giant shop like Outdoor Pro was, but they have all the necessities for Bay Area freshwater and saltwater fishing, including tray bait for salmon.

Thanks Alex! I'm going to make a trip out there this week.  I don't mind paying premium for a knowledgable Indy shop.

AlexB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Yeah, give them a try. The prices are actually pretty reasonable for a "mom and pop" shop, I think.

I must say the shop is a little cluttered, but the woman behind the counter knows exactly where everything is. If you want something specific and don't see it, just ask.

HamachiJohn

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009
Yeah, give them a try. The prices are actually pretty reasonable for a "mom and pop" shop, I think.

I must say the shop is a little cluttered, but the woman behind the counter knows exactly where everything is. If you want something specific and don't see it, just ask.

Do they have live bait?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Down to 1 Hobie Revo...

Hojoman

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
Bay Tackle in El Cerrito

bmb

• Please unsubscribe me from the
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008

Do they have live bait?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
minnows.

Ariel Sea

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008

Alex they are also the same owners of Berkeley Marina Bait & Tackle.
2019 Hobie Outback Camo
2019 Hobie Adventure Island
2019 Stealth Kayaks 555
2019 Stealth Powerfisha 16
2020 Solo Skiff

Ariel Sea

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
I was hoping to find a good local shop to support and was bummed to hear Outdoor Pro in Oakland closed, but today I stopped into West Marine. The employees seemed friendly, but said they were "noobs" and still learning about fishing. It is a chain, but at least its supporting a physical retail location.

They had decent stock (2 Ugly Tigers 7' medium I will buy) and said they can order anything on the website.  Prices looked MSRP.  They had a decent looking selection of refrigeratorated bait. I would rather give my money to a independently owned place.  Any other closish places to check out?

-Wolf

Bay Tackle in El Cerrito is my go to shop. Very knowledgeable and fun guys to talk to. George & Crew are awesome.He fishes every weekend and also invites me on his boat all the time.
2019 Hobie Outback Camo
2019 Hobie Adventure Island
2019 Stealth Kayaks 555
2019 Stealth Powerfisha 16
2020 Solo Skiff

Mountain Wolf

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Thanks folks. I'll check both shops. I'll be spending a few bucks because I'm outfitting for three. I'm over buying everything on the web.

Da Bruddah

• Salmon
  • Da Bruddah with my son Gabe, Whitefish, Montana
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2013

Yeah, unfortunately I have had to piece my gear from ordering online, Mike's (Phuy Quy) in Oakland  for bait and Bay Tackle in El Cerritto. Yeah George and his crew are helpful for most of my other store bought jigs and wherever I can get inexpensive Berkeley big Game Mono line.
Aloha,
da Bruddah
Enjoy this slide show that were taken today:
Link to Point San Pablo Yacht Harbor-7/15/17 NCKA Fishing Tournament:

Link to 7-15-17 Striper?Hali Tournament Slideshow:

http://play.smilebox.com/SpreadMoreHappy/4e4455314d6a51344e7a5a384d5441304f4445324e7a63780d0a

2016 Hobie Revo 13
2014 Hobie Oasis Tandem

• Old school or no school.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2014

I must say the shop is a little cluttered

to put it gently  :smt001
14' Necky Dolphin, fast and wiggly, no room for anything.
Old Mitchell reel junkie.

Mountain Wolf

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile

I must say the shop is a little cluttered

to put it gently  :smt001
Bay Tackle it is. I found the shop I was hoping to. Thank you guys! Two Ugly Stik Tigers, a Trevala, two Avet MXs and a Penn Battle II.  George was helpful and friendly from minute I stepped in the door.