Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:19:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 02:58:59 PM]

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:49:33 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Quick Release Anchor System~Step-By-Step Tutorial  (Read 97394 times)

jonesz

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2006
I do the same thing except instead of drilling and mounting the eylet I just use the rear handle to tie into. That system works great. Nice pictorial Tote.

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
I'm gonna sticky this topic since "anchor set-ups" are frequent questions asked.

Thanks for posting this Tote!

here's my version:

http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php/topic,4993.0.html

*If any of you any of you have other versions, please post it here / thank you!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 11:58:02 PM by Mooch »

golfish

• Salmon
  • ¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2008
Kudos to Tote for the excellent write up and to this site. I find if I search here I will usually find an answer and not reinvent the wheel. Looked for a rear anchor setup for fly fishing a river and this will work.
Blue Eddyline Caribbean 14 + Torqeedo Ultralight 403
Sunrise OK Trident 13

UrbanAngler

• Sardine
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
Just wanted to say thanks Tote for the great idea. I had some frustrating problems with my anchor trolley when trying to anchor from the stern for sturgeon fishing. Your QRAS system with photos and instructions was the solution I was looking for. I made some modifications to suit the type of kayak I have and installed it. Tested it out today and it works PERFECTLY!  :smt003

I've posted pics of the set up on my fishing blog:

http://cityangler.blogspot.com/2011/08/quick-release-anchor-system-qras.html

www.cityfishing.ca

Thanks again for the great idea!

-DL

StephKillsit

• Sea Lion
  • Not yakin just yet but I still yak in other ways!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2011
Just wanted to say thanks Tote for the great idea. I had some frustrating problems with my anchor trolley when trying to anchor from the stern for sturgeon fishing. Your QRAS system with photos and instructions was the solution I was looking for. I made some modifications to suit the type of kayak I have and installed it. Tested it out today and it works PERFECTLY!  :smt003

I've posted pics of the set up on my fishing blog:

http://cityangler.blogspot.com/2011/08/quick-release-anchor-system-qras.html

www.cityfishing.ca

Thanks again for the great idea!

-DL

I am on my way to West Marine soon but wondering, will this setup work with Hobie Outback that has the rudder in the back or will the rope get tied up in the back?
2012 Hobie Revo 13
Intex Seahawk 2

Thank you all for your support!! I’m so glad to still be ALIVE!! Weather on land or water I LOVE YOU ALL!!

bmb

• Please unsubscribe me from the
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
rudder up when anchored. if you have the old style rudder that doesnt stow, I would think it might get caught.  I would probably do an eyelet a half foot off the rear with the tilt up rudder on the hobies.  if its the twist and stow anchor i'd just tie off to the handle and make sure its on your right side since the twist and stow comes up to the left.

Ken_P

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2012
My kayak came with a deck cleat and anchor trolley. I'm thinking of attaching one end to the ring on the trolley and the other end tie a quick release half hitch. One tug on the rope & I'm free. The anchor trolley stops short of the bow & stearn, I know this would be fine on a lake, but what about the rivers (Sac & AR). My other option is to tie off to the rear handle and not use the trolley.

Also my float is a small boat fender 13L X 4" diameter. Do you think this will work in the rivers?

ybloc

• Salmon
  • View Profile
My kayak came with a deck cleat and anchor trolley. I'm thinking of attaching one end to the ring on the trolley and the other end tie a quick release half hitch. One tug on the rope & I'm free. The anchor trolley stops short of the bow & stearn, I know this would be fine on a lake, but what about the rivers (Sac & AR). My other option is to tie off to the rear handle and not use the trolley.

Also my float is a small boat fender 13L X 4" diameter. Do you think this will work in the rivers?

Im a noob and just completed my first QRAS. I cant speak out of experience but this thread might help.
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=41659.0
Jackson Kraken

Ken_P

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
I did not see page 2. I was thinking with the loop end around 1/2 of the cleat, if the kayak turned the loop would pop off the cleat or I could pull the line.

If it comes down to it I could buy a clam cleat & hopefully use the existing holes from the deck cleat.

steveislost

• Salmon
  • View Profile Steveislost
  • Date Registered: Apr 2011

The farther off point your anchor line connects to your kayak the more the force of the water will push you to the side.  It will also make it easier for your yak to twist and cause you to end up sideways (not good) especially if you are running it through your anchor trolley as the flex in the anchor trolley will be pulled out and down tipping your kayak the same (also not good).  Directly to the back is optimum and cause a lot let pressure on your whole anchor system.  In current you are rarely going to be using the trolley to adjust your angles versus on a lake or still water.  For a float you can get away with that smaller boat fender but make sure you utilize a lot more anchor line out because it will get sucked under rather easily.  I use a 5" X 22" and can still run into problems on the Sac.  Remember, at the moment, the American is running around 1700 CFS on average which is pretty low.  I would say on average 3000-4000 is more realistic the rest of the year.  So what you see now on the American is not what it is going to be like in a month from now.  The Sacramento River around Sac city is always flowing fairly strong.  It doesn't look it because it is fairly wide, but watch any of the launching buoys and you can see there is a lot of torque.  You don't want to be messing around there.  Down by the Delta it becomes a little bit more tricky as that is the beginning (probably Clarksburg and downriver) where the tide affects the current.  If your fishing down towards Suisun it really becomes critical so always set up as if it is extreme outgoing tide as you will see extreme depth and speed changes. 

Ken_P

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Thanks I did not know that about the anchor trolley. I don't hear much about it being used. I wanted to see if what I already had would work, but at the same time I don't want to donate a bunch of gear or worse.

Raynman10

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2012
Thanks Mike
 I finished mine today. I followed your steps and materials and am very pleased. Now I need to get it wet! I look forward to Dino season!
I appreciate your taking the time to help all
Best
Raynman

TheDudeAbides

• El Duderino
  • Salmon
  • When there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2012
Just finished my first QRAS install (one for my touring boat, one for the party-barge tandem) last night, out in the backyard at 11pm drilling on my damn pool toy while all the neighbor's dogs were barking at me <LOL> I am really looking forward to trying this system out in some of my local sloughs!

So far the majority of my anchor needs are to avoid getting blown around by the wind (as opposed to fighting current) but I am very aware how precarious our balance is in a kayak, in comparison to an average boat, and how dire the consequences can be for making a mistake, so I was very leery of even using an anchor until I found a system that I felt would be ulra-safe and foolproof, I feel really good about this setup.

And besides having a great and safe QRAS setup, I really appreciated the tip about how to set a pad-eye (ie, drill one hole, fit the anchorage before drilling the second, then set it all in adhesive) that one little tip is going to be used A LOT for me, and I already have way more confidence in the pad eyes I set using that method over the previous sets I have done!
Let me explain something to you. Um, I am not "Mr. Lebowski". You're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
Thanks Dude.
Glad I could be of help to ya.
<=>

fisher

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Thank you for the detail instruction, Tote.

I have a question on anchor types.  It appears that some people use grapnel anchors, while others use navy anchors. I am fishing mainly for rockfishes and lingcods. Would grapnel anchors work better for rocky bottoms?