Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 11:01:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 10:38:50 AM]

[Today at 10:21:42 AM]

[Today at 09:43:54 AM]

[Today at 09:22:18 AM]

[Today at 08:45:32 AM]

[Today at 05:09:54 AM]

[Today at 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 09:35:28 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 09:34:00 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 07:44:11 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 04:54:29 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 01:54:14 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:53:02 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:47:27 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:36:28 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:19:30 AM]

[April 14, 2024, 11:07:25 AM]

[April 13, 2024, 05:09:58 PM]

[April 13, 2024, 11:43:58 AM]

[April 12, 2024, 10:13:23 PM]

[April 12, 2024, 10:01:01 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Paddling a hobie angler pro?  (Read 2820 times)

fuenstock

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2008
Hey NorCal anglers,
  I'm looking at a 2017 hobie angler pro as a possible purchase.
 I'm wondering how it paddles? I know it's designed around the peddles, so it's not going to be the best paddle yak.
 I ask because I have a hip issue that comes and goes. I will peddle most the time, but on occasion I may have to paddle.
 How's the paddling compare to a trident 13? I'm thinking it's going to be probably only 1/10 times or less I may have to paddle.
 Thanks for any input.

RacinRob

• AOTY Committee
  • Wilderness Systems Pro Staff
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
I have not tried to paddle a Pro Angler, but I would say it will not be fun. Especially if the wind is blowing or there is any current. It is a big kayak and really only designed around the drive. There may be better choices for a stable pedal drive kayak that you want paddle also.
http://WildernessSystems.com      http://ATPaddles.com
http://ShastaTackle.com               http://MacksLure.com

Wilderness Systems Kayaks Pro Staff           Heroes on the Water Coordinator
Mack's Lure Pro Staff

2018 AOTY 2nd Place
2017 ARW Halibut 3rd Place
2017 Berryessa Salmon Slam MBF winner
2014 GS8 1st Place AOTD
2014 Trinidad Rockfish Wars 1st Place--- Teamed w/ATD
2014 AOTY 3rd Place-Again
2013 AOTY 3rd Place
2012 Berryessa Salmon Slam  1st Place
2012 Sonoma Slam 1st Place---Teamed w/ATD
2012 TRW 2 1st Place----Teamed w/ATD
2012 PIF Big Salmon Winner
2012 Fresh Kats Series Champion
2012-13-14 Team NCKA Kayak Wars 1st Place Team Overall

Mojo Jojo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2016
I have a 15  Native Slayer Propel 13 it's plenty stable for my 245# and paddles ok for a peddle boat, be sure to put a shock cord on the rudder and an attachment point to hold it steady as the rudder is fixed.

2013 Jackson Big Tuna.........Ours
2011 Native Mariner Propel 12.5...His
2015 Native Slayer Propel 13.......Hers
20?? Emotion ,Sparky.....7 yr old grandson's
Event Coordinator
Heroes On the Water
North Oregon Coast Chapter
Team C.O.D. FISHING (Crazy Old Dudes)just for forum fun challenges

OG TexaSteve

• Salmon
  • Fish on
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2011
ive seen my buddy paddle his PA and it looks like it's quite a reach. On the other hand, my hobie Revo paddles very well when necessary.

Dannarchy

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2016
Hey NorCal anglers,
 I'm wondering how it paddles? I know it's designed around the peddles, so it's not going to be the best paddle yak.
 I ask because I have a hip issue that comes and goes. I will peddle most the time, but on occasion I may have to paddle.
 How's the paddling compare to a trident 13? I'm thinking it's going to be probably only 1/10 times or less I may have to paddle.
 Thanks for any input.

Rob makes a good point.

When you do have hip issues is it more affected by a rotary (riding a bike) or stair stepping (climbing a ladder) motion? If one bothers you more than the other you may want to look at the different types of drives.  You may want to demo a Titan and PA if you are set on that size of a kayak; that way you can test both drives as well as paddling each. Good luck.

bmb

• Please unsubscribe me from the
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
ive seen my buddy paddle his PA and it looks like it's quite a reach. On the other hand, my hobie Revo paddles very well when necessary.
Dan recommends paddling larger craft canoe style with a one sided canoe paddle.  I would think the PA would be OK that way, but won't be fast.

Ring King

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2013
Having paddled my Pro Anglers several times over the years I would definitely recommend a standard canoe paddle over the traditional double bladed kayak paddle.  I keep a wooden canoe paddle on mine just in case I ever need it.

SmokeOnTheWater

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2011
Paddling a Pro Angler sucks big time.  If you even want to consider paddling your next yak, don't get the PA.  It is super comfortable though.  :smt003
If you ain't first, you're last.

fuenstock

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2008
Paddling a Pro Angler sucks big time. .  :smt003

Hahaa,
 That's kind of the answer I was expecting!
  Maybe I'll look at a Revo, less fishy but easier to paddle if needed.

Mojo Jojo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2016
Hey NorCal anglers,
 Thanks for any input.

Rob makes a good point.

When you do have hip issues is it more affected by a rotary (riding a bike) or stair stepping (climbing a ladder) motion? If one bothers you more than the other you may want to look at the different types of drives.  You may want to demo a Titan and PA if you are set on that size of a kayak; that way you can test both drives as well as paddling each. Good luck.
That too is a good point, hobie hurts my arthritis in my hip but the native does not... keep in mind I bought shorter unicycle crank arms being a short guy the stock Native ones had me eating knee caps.

2013 Jackson Big Tuna.........Ours
2011 Native Mariner Propel 12.5...His
2015 Native Slayer Propel 13.......Hers
20?? Emotion ,Sparky.....7 yr old grandson's
Event Coordinator
Heroes On the Water
North Oregon Coast Chapter
Team C.O.D. FISHING (Crazy Old Dudes)just for forum fun challenges

Mienboy

• there's two sides to every story
  • Sea Lion
  • America, if you don't love it leave it
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
You paddle the pa the same way you paddle a canoe,In rough, windy ,currents ,dam near impossible.on a lake or calm day,yes very doable.revo style hull are the easiest.id go out and demo the whole group if I was you.the revo is easy to paddle but can be very tipsy.
The pa is slow using the peddles.with the paddle or an oar it'll be even slower
My biggest worry is that my wife(when I'm dead)will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it

Ring King

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Saying the PA is slow under pedal power can be very misleading.  That is up to who is manning the pedals.  I can maintain 4mph for better than 2 hours.  Plenty of people can't make that claim in a paddle kayak that is a very efficient hull.  I can sprint to right at 6mph but obviously can't maintain that speed for any length of time.  Even people that are new to the Mirage Drive generally have no issue pedaling at speeds up to about 3.5mph for extended periods of time.

Mienboy

• there's two sides to every story
  • Sea Lion
  • America, if you don't love it leave it
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
Saying the PA is slow under pedal power can be very misleading.  That is up to who is manning the pedals.  I can maintain 4mph for better than 2 hours.  Plenty of people can't make that claim in a paddle kayak that is a very efficient hull.  I can sprint to right at 6mph but obviously can't maintain that speed for any length of time.  Even people that are new to the Mirage Drive generally have no issue pedaling at speeds up to about 3.5mph for extended periods of time.
I've had the 14 and the 12,they both are slow In my opinion.if you can hold 4mph for 2hrs at a time,you've got some strong legs and stamina
My biggest worry is that my wife(when I'm dead)will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it

Ring King

• Salmon
  • View Profile
I've been pedaling various Pro Angler 14 hulls for the last six years and completely understand that I'm not the average Hobie owner when it comes to my pedaling ability.

I also have friends that can't pedal a Pro Angler to over 4mph even in a sprint.  So it really is about who is seated behind the pedals.

For my long fishing trips (often for up to 16hrs at a time) the Pro Angler 14 is my boat of choice.  I've had it in all kinds of waters from the Atlantic to the Pacific and many places in between.  It has never left me wanting any other kayak when on the water.  Now, at the end of one of those long trips, I could definitely wish it was a little lighter in weight when it comes time to load it up and head home!! LOL

TFM

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
I have a PA, and use the half paddle but only time I ever use it is for positioning purposes. I would not recommend paddling a PA for an extended amount of time. I would look at the Revos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk