Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:05:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 06:20:40 PM]

[Today at 06:06:38 PM]

[Today at 04:50:16 PM]

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: My review on bait cast net  (Read 3181 times)

KayakJames

• Sea Lion
  • Yes it is good
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2006
Well just thought I would let everyone know how the new net worked.
 Brand Bass pro shop
 size 5 foot 1\4 mesh
 type nylon
 weight 1lb per foot

First off it took me a few try's to get the full circle thing down but I had it going in no time.  The net worked great no smelt or shinners harmed at all I didnt loose a single fish to the net the nylon is alot softer than mono Just be carefull they will tear, but I got snagged 2 times and it held up really good, the amazing thing is that nothing escapes from the 1\4 mesh I caught little minnows that couldnt have been more than 1\2 inch long, caught many shinners about 1inch long but I didnt keep any of them because I didnt know the regs,

smelt regs are unlimited for smelt as long as you use them for bait in the same body of water you removed them from.

On the down side the nylon net stains pretty easy I washed it pretty quick after use and its not wedding dress white anymore I guess that just means it's broken in.

I tried to toss it off the yak and I found it difficult to get the whole thing to open but maybe with more practice it will come but the size is good for shore and piers.

Hope this helps those who were wondering
Where did he go george

cafecraig

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2006
Cool James!  Very thorough review, nice job.  I picked up this net also - couldn't resist the $22.50 price....  Should be on sale through next weekend (Father's Day Sale?).

It's great to hear that it worked well for you.  Mine's still sitting at home in the box - will use it in the next 3 weeks or so.

Did you throw it from your yak?  Or a pier?

I will want to use live bait when I launch off the Marin Coast (Rocky Point, Tomales areas, for instance) but I am not sure how I'd net the bait first, before launching through the surf.

But I would rather not try to stand in my Scupper Pro out there.  So, is this throwable from a sitting position (in a tippy yak)?

Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question - I haven't done it before.

Thanks!

Craig

promethean_spark

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Where were you throwing it?  I'd like to be able to stock my own shiners too...
The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
Of the big lake they call Gitche Gumee
Superior, they said, never gives up her dead
When the gales of November come early.

KayakJames

• Sea Lion
  • Yes it is good
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2006
I tried it from the yak and its hard but doable with practice
I tossed it off a pier and from shore during low tide from shore was most productive.
Since you mentioned the price of 22.50 I thought I would throw in the fact that the price of the net is pretty much a moot point as after 3 trips of not buying bait it will pay for itself and after just 3 trips its pure money saving good fro waf points. as shinners are areound 1.50$ at most places so you do the math

remember the more you practice the better you will toss the net, I tore up my front yard when I first got it but it was a invaluable lesson as I see peopl out there tossing them not getting full extension and they say they have been doing it for years, so make sure to practice before you go to the water it will pay off.

I used it at mlk park in oakland take hegenburger turn right on edgewater and left on pardee ln park at the end and walk to the water bait was abundant especially off the little bridges
« Last Edit: June 14, 2006, 02:18:57 AM by KayakJames »
Where did he go george

cafecraig

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Thanks for the details James.  Very helpful to know!

Yeah I have never thrown a cast net before at all...  In fact, I have never seen anyone throw one, regardless of how long they have been doing it.

In fact in fact, I have never even seen a cast net before - mine is still in the shipping packaging.  I haven't opened it yet.  Secretly I am afraid when I open it, it will explode all over the place, you know, like a jack-in-the-box thingy.

I live in a 12-story apartment building near Downtown.  Someone around here has a yard I'm sure, but I don't think I should try on it.

Maybe when you or someone who knows how to use a cast net to make bait goes out, I can go with and watch and learn.

Honestly, I kind of don't have a kayak yet, either...........  But really, I am getting one.  For real.  Jason says it should be in Monday.  I am stoked - I put the roof rack on my li'l Mazda last night....  (Bring on the yak Jason!)

I am looking forward to fishin' with y'all.....  (But really, I'll be excited enough just to catch bait and not dump myself off the yak in the same day...)

SandMan

• Salmon
  • Fishing the Bean
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2005
I have the same Bass Pro cast net that James bought and once I got the hang of it, it wasn't too bad.  Eugene showed me two methods, one involved mouthing a section and throwing the rest like a frisbee, the other one involved draping a portion over your shoulder and throwing the rest like a frisbee.  Of course he made it look easy.

I also caught many tiny hatchlings and in the effort to please the fish gods, I returned as many as I could to the water so they could grow up (to be eaten? hmmm).

I also snagged the net in the rocks on a few casts and had to climb down to the rocks and pull it out.  There are a few war wounds on the edges but nothing too bad.  You obviously have to let the net sink to trap the bait but if you let it sink too far down then it can get snagged.  Whew...too much thinking for this rookie.

I can barely throw this net from shore so I can't imagine launching this net from a yak.  I'm sure it can be done but I have a tippy Tarpon so I'll let the Cobra folks take the "plunge".

Gary
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.

Fishtrap329

• Salmon
  • View Profile
HEY I was looking through basspro and couldn't find the 1/4 mesh nylon net($22.50 ?). i want to buy one. if anyone know the item number, please let me know thank!
"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing."

Fishtrap329

• Salmon
  • View Profile
NEVERMIND ............FOUND IT! ORDERED AND ON THE WAY. I guess I didn't look hard enough. :smt003
"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing."

SandMan

• Salmon
  • Fishing the Bean
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2005
For all of you that are looking for the Bass Pro net that James and I recently bought on sale: go to the Bass Pro website, (http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.OnlineShopping) at the top of the home page do a search by typing in "cast nets", enter it.  Click on Bass Pro cast nets and it should open to a table of all their cast nets. 

They must have sold a lot because all of the nets except for the 10' radius (=20' diameter...wow) are low or out of stock.  The one that we have is at the very bottom.  It lists for $22.49, item #38-489-622-00, Bass Pro Shops Bait Cast Net - 5' radius - Nylon - 1/4" Mesh, UPS shipping is $6.95.

If you factor bait at $9.00 a fishing trip then this net is a real bargain.  Not to mention the bonus of having live fresh healthy bait.  The bonus is good karma for passing out your extra live bait at the launch.  I make it practice to have extra bait and what I don't use I set free when I pack it up for the day.

Oh don't forget to factor in a bucket with an aerator OR a big bucket to get bait to the launch and then a kayak bait tube.
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.