Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 15, 2024, 11:05:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 10:38:53 PM]

[Today at 10:36:10 PM]

[Today at 10:28:01 PM]

[Today at 09:35:28 PM]

[Today at 09:34:00 PM]

[Today at 07:44:11 PM]

[Today at 04:54:29 PM]

[Today at 02:08:42 PM]

[Today at 01:54:14 PM]

[Today at 11:53:02 AM]

[Today at 11:47:27 AM]

[Today at 10:36:28 AM]

[Today at 10:19:30 AM]

[April 14, 2024, 09:28:20 PM]

[April 14, 2024, 11:07:25 AM]

[April 14, 2024, 07:39:42 AM]

[April 13, 2024, 05:09:58 PM]

[April 13, 2024, 11:43:58 AM]

[April 12, 2024, 10:13:23 PM]

[April 12, 2024, 10:01:01 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Humboldt bay  (Read 3026 times)

DESERT RAT

I'll be in  Eureka the first week of July. Does anybody have any recommendations for fishing the bay or lagoons? Thanks in advance for the information.

bluefin17

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2005
Desert Rat,
I went to school at Humboldt State and was a fisheries major, so I'll try to help a little.

Stone Lagoon: Amazing scenery, not very many fish, but the scenery is incredible.  If you go there check in with the Eureka fly shop and they can tell you a lot more detail.  Bring something to bar-b-q on the beach if you go there. 
Just build a little driftwood fire, also you can try catch surfperch (usually red tails there).

Big Lagoon:  Very susceptible to wind.  Just like Stone Lagoon, scenery is better than fishing.  Both of these lagoons have coastal cutthroat trout and steelhead.  Be very careful if you catch an adult that is very skinny, they get trapped when the lagoons close.

Freshwater Lagoon:  Is stocked with rainbow trout every year.  Not as scenic as the others but you'll have a better chance at catching more fish.  There are holdover rainbows up to 3-4 lbs. and also a population of cutthroat trout that used to be stocked in there.

Humboldt Bay: It might be too late in July, but there is a California halibut fishery in the north bay.  You can drift in the channels for them in between the oyster farms.  Caution though: watch the tides, can be strong at times.  In some years bait (anchovies) can be made right in front of England Marine in Eureka.  Also in some years salmon come in to the bay.  You'll know if they are there, you'll see all the boats East of the opening to Humboldt Bay.  If in a kayak, watch the swell.  We were very successful some years just mooching in the bay for salmon to 30 lbs, just be sure to check the regs.

Non-Kayak Humboldt Bay:  I used to fish the North jetty often, it can produce a lot of fish sometimes.  It is usually best at low tide.  Also has to be somewhat flat.  You can throw swimbaits for lingcod and maybe rockfish, bring a net.  Sometimes the north side of the north jetty can be better for lingcod, I've even caught salmon there, especially if you have live bait. Caution you will lose a lot of gear.  :smt009 Another way to catch lings there is to use dead anchovies on a egg sinker set up and cast out let it sink to the bottom and slow retrieve in a little off the bottom.  This technique can catch a lot of fish sometimes.  Also if you are in to pokepoling, the north jetty at low-tide can get you a variety of fish including big cabezon (10 lbs.), kelp and rock greenling, monkey-face eel (prickleback), rockfish and maybe even a lingcod, just use squid for bait and a sharp hook and stick it in a hole that you can put down at least a couple feet.

Hope this helps, while living there, it took awhile to learn the tricks of the trade.  Humboldt fisheries can be frustrating but also very rewarding.  Good Luck and have a great time.

beenfishin

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2005
Great tips bluefin...

Desert Rat, my uncle & I were thinking of heading over July 8-10th, not sure exactly when you were going to make it, but if this is in your schedule, we'll have to hook up.  I haven't been doing too much local, did manage to get out on the Sac River backwaters for a few bass last week, and i'm heading up to Hyampom this weekend for some Trinity River action.  I don't think there's much going on, but it will be a nice exploratory trip...

Tight Lines,
Ben

anything