Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 06:39:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 11:58:24 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 09:24:28 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 07:49:41 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 09:45:43 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:27:22 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:37:51 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:28:42 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 09:08:36 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:41:07 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:12:18 AM]

[April 19, 2024, 10:54:38 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 10:40:43 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: north coast salmon fishing  (Read 2686 times)

Baywinger

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
Hi all I have been kayak fishing for rock cod for a couple of seasons now and would love to try for salmon but I have no idea where to go or what to do. is there any good spots on the sonoma, mendocino coast? how far out do you havr to go how deep to fish ect.
                                       Thanks for any info
                                          Morgan
Get up, Get out and Enjoy the Great Outdoors.

bsteves

• Fish Nerd; AOTY Architect
  • Sea Lion
  • Better Fishing through Science!
  • View Profile Northwest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
As far as I can tell, fishing for Salmon in Sonoma County is a bit trickier than down at Monterey in that our wind/waves are often much worse and the salmon are often farther from shore this time of year.   Your best bet is probably to watch the Coastsidefishingclub forums http://www.coastsidefishingclub.com for reports of Salmon being caught relatively close to shore.  You can do a search on "salmon" but you're better off searching for any of the following "Bodega" "college" "10 Mile" "Carmet" and other popular Salmon fishing locations to see the latest reports.  If you live or work near the coast you'll want to pay attention to days when you see lots of birds working bait near shore and/or lots of salmon boats also working the bait near the shore.  Right now there are boats fishing near the line here in Bodega  (that's the 3 mile state water boundary line which is currently as far out as you can legally fish for salmon).  No one is really reporting any great catches and with the current wind you wouldn't want to risk your life paddling that far out for a low probablilty fish.   In general, the salmon get closer to shore in June/July and anywhere along the Sonoma Coast is potentially a good spot, it just depends on where the bait is.

Brian
Elk I Champ
BAM II Champ

chasman

If anyone does decide to go out up here, I would love to tag along. I don't have the time yet to make a trip down to the Monterey area, so fishing Sonoma coast is appealing to me.

Mahi

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2006
What are you using to catch salmon? A photo would be great help.

Thanks....CHEERS!

bsteves

• Fish Nerd; AOTY Architect
  • Sea Lion
  • Better Fishing through Science!
  • View Profile Northwest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
Who said anything about actually catching a salmon?  I haven't yet....  however, last year my buddy Levi managed to catch a nice 20 lber about 200 yds from shore off Schoolhouse beach (part of Sonoma Coast State Beach) and I plan to do the same when conditions are right.   At the time we were both mooching (circle hook, banana sinker, and anchovies).

Here's a picture...

oh yeah and he managed a nice halibut the next day...

Here's his report from last year...
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/bb/index.php?topic=1291.0

Brian

Elk I Champ
BAM II Champ

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
Noyo can be quite doable on the right day.  I went with Pescadore and we both caught nice fish. We trolled the setup Mooch showed me...6 oz banana and a watermelon apex...money!  Just gotta watch the weather and go when its right.

Baywinger

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Those are some good looking fish.
                 Morgan

Baywinger

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Thanks for the tips.
       Morgan

johnv

Has anyone tried a "boga type" grip to land salmon?  Is a net a better way to do it?

John in Oregon

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Law requires net for landing salmon :smt045  - don't know if this rule is the same for Oregon  :smt009

johnv

Thanks Mooch.  I've always used a net but it's pretty big.  I am not sure about stowing it upright in a rod holder because sometimes those darn salmon come right back over your head.  I wish there were a better way.  You are right about the Oregon law, it requires a net for landing salmon.  Thanks again.  PS -- nice fish. 

John in Oregon

anything