Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 06:08:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 25, 2024, 11:05:52 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 09:32:50 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 09:09:25 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 06:57:02 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 03:18:45 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 01:17:52 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 07:23:39 AM]

[April 25, 2024, 07:16:05 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 09:45:12 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 08:39:39 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 04:31:01 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 11:46:31 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 10:38:46 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 10:16:10 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 06:30:45 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Need help with trailer  (Read 2636 times)

sebast

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015
Hi,

I don't know much about trailers, but saw bunch of people have built their own, so thought maybe I should ask here first. Any hints would help.

So, I have this custom trailer, built specifically for TI: .

1. I'm looking to add 2nd tier bars - to load another kayak and/or cargo.  Trailer is rated 675 lbs, so I should be able to add 150-200 lbs

At the rear cross bar there is a square opening , I guess I could insert and bolt on some angled tube there.
No opening at the front crossbar or tongue. 

I'm probably looking for something like what's on 3rd pic, but it has to be reasonably easy to remove - I want to keep an option of launching TI with deployed AMA (i.e. no side bars), and only add 2nd tier when I go somewhere far, for multiday trips

How difficult would it be?

I contacted manufacturer, they forwarded me to the shop, who have not responded yet.

2. Any way to find out if electrical and lights are waterproof (I know I can submerse them and see :) ) ? Do these (4th pic) look waterproof to you, or I'd better re-do them? 

Update:  according to manufacturer - they are. We'll see :) I still will probably re-do them at some time.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 04:07:47 PM by sebast »
2015 TI
2017 Outback

Mojo Jojo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2016
I custom built this one and the rack is removable in two pieces (3 since the tops two pieces)  with the lower 4 post rack slipping into 4 inch square tube steel stake pockets, there bolted but a good hitch pin would work as well.  And the guy I built if for did the wood deck and rails.

Edit: I would redo at least the wire job on the lights and be sure the housings don’t have any holes and the lenses have a gasket where they screw on.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 03:32:53 PM by Mojo Jojo »

2013 Jackson Big Tuna.........Ours
2011 Native Mariner Propel 12.5...His
2015 Native Slayer Propel 13.......Hers
20?? Emotion ,Sparky.....7 yr old grandson's
Event Coordinator
Heroes On the Water
North Oregon Coast Chapter
Team C.O.D. FISHING (Crazy Old Dudes)just for forum fun challenges

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Easiest solution would be to remove the sail and simply stack your second kayak on top of the TI, with pool noodles between the kayaks to reduce the shock/impact of bouncing up & down.
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

sebast

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile

Edit: I would redo at least the wire job on the lights and be sure the housings don’t have any holes and the lenses have a gasket where they screw on.

Thanks! Great looking trailer, too!

2015 TI
2017 Outback

sebast

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Easiest solution would be to remove the sail and simply stack your second kayak on top of the TI, with pool noodles between the kayaks to reduce the shock/impact of bouncing up & down.

Yes, absolutely! This (+ loading bunch of crap inside TI) is what I'll be doing on next trip unless I find better option

Still, since trailer is rated 675 lbs and TI is less then 200 lbs (+ 2x HAKA = 25 lbs, 225 lbs total) I was hoping to be able to add some more capacity.
2015 TI
2017 Outback

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
You could probably find someone here to weld on some additional square pockets/bed stakes towards the trailer tongue (similar to the ones in the rear). Then fabricate a rack that fits in the new pockets and rear pockets. When you want to bring 2+ kayaks, you’d insert the rack into the pockets; otherwise take it off when transporting just the TI.
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

sebast

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
You could probably find someone here to weld on some additional square pockets/bed stakes towards the trailer tongue (similar to the ones in the rear). Then fabricate a rack that fits in the new pockets and rear pockets. When you want to bring 2+ kayaks, you’d insert the rack into the pockets; otherwise take it off when transporting just the TI.

Yes, welding is definitely beyond my skills :)  How about bolt-on - any concerns?

Looks like something like this might work (?): https://www.amazon.com/MaxxHaul-70423-Universal-Aluminum-Truck/dp/B011NP8UHA - just need to find a way to mount bases to they don't interfere with extended AMAs.

Thanks!
2015 TI
2017 Outback

Mojo Jojo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile

Yes, welding is definitely beyond my skills :)  How about bolt-on - any concerns?

Looks like something like this might work (?): https://www.amazon.com/MaxxHaul-70423-Universal-Aluminum-Truck/dp/B011NP8UHA - just need to find a way to mount bases to they don't interfere with extended AMAs.

Thanks!
Your going to likely need something custom made and I’d shy away from putting it in the back frame hole as this will put the top kayaks back too far in my opinion.

Event Coordinator
Heroes On the Water

sebast

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile

Thanks!
Your going to likely need something custom made and I’d shy away from putting it in the back frame hole as this will put the top kayaks back too far in my opinion.

Yes, makes sense - thanks. My OK Ultra is 15",  TI is 18", so I'll want to put Ultra closer to the front.

I found plenty different pockets, but they are mostly for 4x2. What would you use as posts, if not pre-made rack like on the link above?
2015 TI
2017 Outback

Mojo Jojo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I’ll try to make sense but no promises!  :smt003

Get some 1-1/2 square tube steel like (.095 thickness) that can be
U-bolted on top of the frame if there’s room for the T” to clear it if not it will need to be placed under the frame.... it will go out far enough on either side to clear the T”  with “goal post”risers.

On top of the cross tube and pointing straight up  get a shop to weld another tube that’s 4-6 inches that the 1-1/2 tube can slip into kinda  like your trailer hitch does only pointing up.

Have two “goal posts” made that can sit in the receiver tubes (need the shop to weld that) then drill the receiver tubes and uprights for pins.

If you were up here I could literally make that mod in about 2 hours with it welded to the trailer. Likely a one gallon Jack or Jim job  :smt002

Event Coordinator
Heroes On the Water

sebast

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile

U-bolted on top of the frame if there’s room for the T” to clear it if not it will need to be placed under the frame.... it will go out far enough on either side to clear the T”  with “goal post”risers.

On top of the cross tube and pointing straight up  get a shop to weld another tube that’s 4-6 inches that the 1-1/2 tube can slip into kinda  like your trailer hitch does only pointing up.

Have two “goal posts” made that can sit in the receiver tubes (need the shop to weld that) then drill the receiver tubes and uprights for pins.

If you were up here I could literally make that mod in about 2 hours with it welded to the trailer. Likely a one gallon Jack or Jim job  :smt002

Thanks!
2015 TI
2017 Outback

Mojo Jojo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile

Thanks!
So you want to fish Oregon? I’m repairing crashe’s Cali trailer today and tomorrow. I’m not a “statist” I’ll weld a trailer no matter the state, although when grinding on a California trailer I have to wear a respirator because as you all know everything in the state of California is known to cause cancer in laboratory animals !  :smt044

Event Coordinator
Heroes On the Water

sebast

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Haha.. Jokes aside, we are planning our early August vacation and Oregon is one of the options we started looking at. Any nice lakes?
2015 TI
2017 Outback

Mojo Jojo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Haha.. Jokes aside, we are planning our early August vacation and Oregon is one of the options we started looking at. Any nice lakes?
Quite a few, you looking costal or mountain? There’s also a few good bay’s and rivers. All depends on your experience level and what your looking for, species, scenery, hardcore or luxury?
Edit: first week of August we’ll be making a trek to Arizona.

Event Coordinator
Heroes On the Water

sebast

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Quite a few, you looking costal or mountain? There’s also a few good bay’s and rivers. All depends on your experience level and what your looking for, species, scenery, hardcore or luxury?
Edit: first week of August we’ll be making a trek to Arizona.

In perfect world I'd be looking for a waterfront, suitable for some sailing, with dock for TI, not crowded, swimmable, kids and dog friendly, nothing fancy, not too hot / open.

I know I'm asking too much :) Good fishing would be nice to have, but I learned to set priorities :) Do you know some places that could look like this? Just names, we can google it from there. Thanks again!
2015 TI
2017 Outback