Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 15, 2024, 09:01:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:53:24 PM]

[Today at 07:44:11 PM]

[Today at 04:54:29 PM]

[Today at 03:55:19 PM]

[Today at 02:08:42 PM]

[Today at 01:54:14 PM]

[Today at 11:53:02 AM]

[Today at 11:47:27 AM]

[Today at 11:32:34 AM]

[Today at 10:36:28 AM]

[Today at 10:19:30 AM]

[April 14, 2024, 09:28:20 PM]

[April 14, 2024, 11:07:25 AM]

[April 14, 2024, 07:39:42 AM]

[April 13, 2024, 05:09:58 PM]

[April 13, 2024, 12:52:23 PM]

[April 13, 2024, 11:43:58 AM]

[April 12, 2024, 10:13:23 PM]

[April 12, 2024, 10:01:01 PM]

[April 12, 2024, 05:54:36 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Trailers & Campers for kayaks (with pics)  (Read 133124 times)

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
After the last couple of trips to Mendo, I have big time trailer envy.  I've seen a few DIY trailers used here including nice ones by scwafish and Tote.  But I don't have the time right now to build my own.  Anyone have any recommendations?  I'm looking for something that can hold 4 kayaks sitting upright and has storage room for other gear.  Something like a utility trailer with short sides underneath, with a couple of T bars overhead.

-Allen
« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 03:43:14 PM by Mooch »

bsteves

• Fish Nerd; AOTY Architect
  • Sea Lion
  • Better Fishing through Science!
  • View Profile Northwest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
Jim "InSeine" bought one last year, but I don't know the brand.  He uses it to lug my gear around for me :)
Elk I Champ
BAM II Champ

fishshim

• Sea Lion
  • thanks for the pic PAL!
  • View Profile Mark Shimizu Design-Jewelry
  • Date Registered: Aug 2005
I believe Tote and KickinBass also have trailers modified for kayaks.

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
Tote's trailer carries 20 kayaks  :smt003.....OK...maybe not THAT much :smt002

Papa Al

• You can call me Al
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Tote created a very nice trailer. I believe he started with the basic Home Depot utility trailer.

Holds 4 kayaks with plenty of storage space below.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2007, 05:55:42 PM by alfredo »

polepole

• Administrator
Yup.  I like Tote's in the sense that it has plenty of storage space.  But I want to be able stack kayaks upright, basically so I don't need to strip them down of seats, etc.  So the 4 J racks are not what I'm looking for.  I like the ability to be able to toss em on the rack and go.  That being said, I maybe don't need to be able to have 4 upright.  One crossbar that can handle 2 upright satisfies the majority of my needs as I usually only have 1 or 2 kayaks.  With a middle upright bar I could stack 4 on their sides for the times I need that many, and deal with stripping them down in that situation.  I suppose a utility trailer with a couple crossbars wide enough to accommodate 2 upright yaks would satisfy my needs.

Other ideas?

-Allen

Papa Al

• You can call me Al
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Other ideas?

Here's my trailer. Very basic cheap 4x8 utility. I had the trailer sitting around unused for years. My father-in-law welded the lower cross bars and added the  upper aluminium cross bars. I added two sets of hull rests (land sharks?)Very simple, no storage. It's good for the local runs, but I worry about those little tires and hubs on long drives.

http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?action=gallery&g2_itemId=1265

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
I needed something to haul kayaks and gear quite a distance. That is the reason for the J cradles.
The trailer is from Home Depot.
Both ends have the ability to lay flat. That said you could put 2 kayaks fully rigged in it side by side.
You could also put cross bars over the top and put your rigged kayaks on that with room underneath for storage.
I believe Stuart got a H/D trailer as well and uses it for his kayaks and gear.
For the price the H/D trailer has tons of possibilities.
<=>

polepole

• Administrator
Me thinks I'll be visiting Home Depot in the near future ...

Thanks Tote.  The trailer you have, without the J racks, and the end uprights (perhaps move 1 to the middle) would be about what I'm looking for.

What should I be looking for in the wheel/axle in terms of durability for a long haul.

I gotta make a run up to Seattle and back this summer.  Thinking of either fishing my way down, or up depending on how my schedule works out.  On my way down, I'm bringing a load of stuff.  So I gotta have something that can put some miles in with a load, without me having to worry too much about it.

Anyone got any welding skills in the South Bay?  I got a welder sitting in my garage (but no 220).  And, I have no idea how to weld so it really doesn't matter if I have power or not.  Hmmm ... I'll trade someone a old used welder for a day of work on a trailer.

-Allen

Danglin

• Sea Lion
  • Accept Yourself, So Shall The World ...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2006
 I think Insanedwane is wise in such things, I'm good with welders @ destroying things rapidly :smt003......

I've been thinking of a tent trailer with front storage, Put 4 j racks on it and 2 birds one stone....

I've talked with a jayco service person and he said it would handle it, Jury is still out..........Danglin
There are 3 Types of people in the world,,,

The Sheep, The Sheep Dog & The Wolf,

Which are You ,,,

2006 NCKA Shark Fishing Tournament Champion    
2nd Moutcha Bay, BC. 2006 "Tyee" Surfing Contest
ELK 07  1st Place Loser
HMB 09 3rd Place
HMB 09 Sardine Champion
2009-2016 Northern California HOW Coordinator

Love Baja…  :smt055

Tote

• Global Moderator
  • View Profile
Me thinks I'll be visiting Home Depot in the near future ...

Thanks Tote.  The trailer you have, without the J racks, and the end uprights (perhaps move 1 to the middle) would be about what I'm looking for.

What should I be looking for in the wheel/axle in terms of durability for a long haul.

I gotta make a run up to Seattle and back this summer.  Thinking of either fishing my way down, or up depending on how my schedule works out.  On my way down, I'm bringing a load of stuff.  So I gotta have something that can put some miles in with a load, without me having to worry too much about it.

Anyone got any welding skills in the South Bay?  I got a welder sitting in my garage (but no 220).  And, I have no idea how to weld so it really doesn't matter if I have power or not.  Hmmm ... I'll trade someone a old used welder for a day of work on a trailer.

-Allen

If you can schedule a day and swing by Placerville we can get 'er done!
I have a welder and all the tools needed. Just have an idea of what ya want and I am sure we could crank it out.
One thing nice about the H/D trailer is that it has REAL tires, not the tiny chinsey ones.
I have had that thing all over the place, Mendo, Ft Bragg, Ocean Cove, Tahoe; used it to haul a couple loads of road base and it has had no problems at all.
<=>

polepole

• Administrator
Hey Tote!  Thanks for the offer.  I don't have a free weekend in the next month as I have a lot of travel coming up, but perhaps if I don't have this solve yet by late June we can hook up for some welding fun and some fishing of course.

-Allen

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
Kicknbass also has a VERY nice trailer.  While his is home built, you could easily modify a pre-built to its specs.  One like Kicknbass has with a removable "T" to increase capacity to 4 yaks when needed would be a very sweet setup.

There are times when trailers are a PITA, but generally speaking it is a super ez, back friendly way to move and launch yaks. We have also been using mine or Andys to facilitate carpooling.  This weekend we'll be using Mahi's diesel to haul all of our stuff and guys to Humboldt, good for the planet and EZ on the wallet to split it 3 ways!

Tote

• Global Moderator
  • View Profile
Sean's and Andy's trailers both ROCK. The craftsmanship on Andy's trailer is definitely top notch.
Can we see some pics of both trailers guys? The more ideas out there the better.
Polepole~ Whenever is fine with me. Personally if I could get Andy to help I would because he is closer to better fishing. :smt003
<=>

ScottThornley

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Home Depot doesn't seem to carry theirs any longer, unless it is just not shown on their website. I've found these:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=90154
or
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=94564

Scott