Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:41:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:49:33 AM]

[Today at 11:22:14 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: "Finished Business Tour"  (Read 11251 times)

Mahi

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2006
At La Jolla the mackerel were boiling!

• View Profile La Jolla Kayak Fishing
  • Date Registered: Aug 2005
We used to do a trip that left early Friday morning and returned on Sunday evening, on a much faster boat. You had time to fish, dive and relax, without feeling that you had to spend every minute pounding the fish. IT is a great way to go.

PAL

• Salmon
  • View Profile Kayak Fish magazine
  • Date Registered: Mar 2005
It's great to see the photos. Almost feel like I was there.  :smt001

I'm sure Sean communicated my regrets. A medical issue that couldn't wait grounded me. I'm thrilled you folks had a good time and completed the mission. I knew you were in good hands between the slick crew of the Islander and Jim Sammons. Classy hats Jim!

There must have been much love. I'm confident we've done everything we can to leave our friend Chef at peace. I couldn't go, but I feel much better now. 

I know the group had its sights set on big game - doesn't always happen, even at special SCI. Those calicos though, that was world class fishing. It is fantastic to see Bill got into some big ones. I love those big, old, battle-scarred bass.

If I book it again, and I plan on it, I would like to be out there for a day or two longer to increase the odds of being there at the right time, and to improve the driving to fishing time ratio.  Like to get feedback on that idea.

Sean, I'm way ahead of you. Shane would work with us to bring off a 2 or 3-day trip. Once you get into 3-day territory the options explode. Jim has a great hook-up too - the Grander 5-pack would be too cool for a smaller group. Let's make one of these happen.

Read about kayak fishing: www.KayakFishMag.com

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
I too spoke with Shane about a longer trip.  lets talk and set something up.

mickfish

• Global Moderator
  • Fish & Chill
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
Looks awesome guys too cool its like an Ocean Wilderness. Where there many boats fishing around you?
I too spoke with Shane about a longer trip.
Count me in.
Group IQ is inversely proportional to the size of the group.

A Steelhead always knows where he is going, but a Man seldom does.

Rock Hopper

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Global Moderator
  • A-Hull Muggle
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2005
Looks awesome guys too cool its like an Ocean Wilderness. Where there many boats fishing around you?
I too spoke with Shane about a longer trip.
Count me in.

Definitely count me in, too. I'll post more when I get back from the bar...hehe...including an OTWS of Mr. Joel's YT.

In Loving Memory of Mooch, Eelmaster, Shicken, and Cabeza De Martillo

I started kayak fishing to get away from most of you...

jselli

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2005
WTG guys!  Amazing pics and editorial.  Glad to hear all had fun finished business.
Jason
...The sea, once it casts its spell
holds one in its net of wonders forever.
                          Jacques Cousteau

Bungle

• Salmon
  • I have no idea what I'm doing
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
From whats been posted so far, looks like you guys had a sweet trip!  
Gotta say I feel pretty fortunate to know a group of folks who honor the memory of their friend in such a way.  Top notch.

Bill

• Sea Lion
  • My Brother
  • View Profile GulfStream Outdoors
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004

We saw one 6 pack boat a few times and one party boat made a brief appearance in the morning but it was pretty far away.

LJ was a totally different story, there where about 50 kayakers out on Saturday and a party boat ran right through the middle of us. Insane.

jdyak

• Salmon
  • Joel fishing Linda Mar Creek 06
  • View Profile
Looks like fun was had by everyone, the water and scenery look awesome.  Chef would have been smiling the whole time, enjoying every minute of it.

John
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.  - Herculites -
2006 NCKA BAM 1st place Catfish Winner

KZ

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile Kunz's Reel Rods
Was a great trip and a great group of guys and gals to share it with.  Paul and Sean... thanks a ton for setting this up!  Paul... you were missed on this ride.  It wasn't the same without you.  Also, very nice to meet Steve's parents and brothers and I was honored to present them with the rod that so many of you pitched in for.  Thanks again to all of you that made that project happen.

Even though the fishing was slow after the morning session, I'm glad to have gotten a taste for that style of fishing.  Looking forward to getting down that way again... after that long day of fishing, I would definitely have liked to have another crack at 'em for a second or third day.  This was a good first go at it... I think future trips can only improve fish count wise... everything else was the bomb.  The food was definitely Chefstefano worthy!

Here are some pics.

1.  Loading up and sporting our new lids (thanks Jim!).
2.  Got bait?  Loaded up with like 300 scoops of sardines.
3.  Kickin Bass wishing he hadn't taken the Bonine.
4.  Brian G wishing Bonine would work for him.
5.  Sean showing Leah a good time Ukiah style... Oreo's and Hiney. 
6.  Kickin Bass' money shot... first YT of the day.  Booyah!
7.  Muy Bonito!
8.  A nice calico bass that I caught in the boiler rocks.
9.  Chef's brother fishing the boiler rocks.
10. Our chef with crazy skills! 
11. Dinner is served... waiting like gentlemen for Leah... where the heck is Leah!
12. Closeup of the grand finale... tri tip done right!
2006 Elk Tourney Champion
2006 Angler of the Year 3rd Place

Kunz's Reel Rods
www.kzreelrods.com

Acts 10:13 And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.

JTF..

• EastBaySlayer
  • Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2005
Great pictures, and a great cause, glad that 2 guys caught YT's.
2008 Elk Fiesta Survivor
2007 1st Place Elk Fiesta
2006 3rd Place Paddlefest Shark Derby
2006 Elk Fiesta Survivor
2005 Elk Fiesta 14th place
Mooch is OG

fishshim

• Sea Lion
  • thanks for the pic PAL!
  • View Profile Mark Shimizu Design-Jewelry
  • Date Registered: Aug 2005
Nice post and pics Erik! Wish I was with you guys. There will be more. Those pelagics are hard to beat  in their power per pound.

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
Had a great time at San Diego! Many thanks to Frank for the most comfortable road trip I ever had  :smt045

Sat morning, NCKA had a good turn out at La Jolla....pelicans were dive bombing just outside of the surf -  a good sign! Paddling out of La Jolla reminded me so much of Linda Mar...but the bigger version. The cool thing was that you were able to drive your vehicles right to the shoreline to drop off and pick-up your yak...something unheard of in Northern California  :smt011 Anyway, we joined by the L J natives out by the kelp beds - only a mile paddle away....it seemed strange to see other kayak fishermen out there and not knowing any of them  :smt009  But Chuck did represent NCKA well with a White Sea Bass at the end of the day  :smt023

Sunday, some of us decided to hit all the tackle shops and tried to get more fishing info from the natives. We must have hit at least half a dozen T-shops - most of which were walking distance from one another (da horror  :smt002). Wish we had that problem  :smt002

Sunday night we boarded the Islander and off we went. I ended up bunking with Brain G in a two bedroom. My bunk was very uncomfortable  :smt013 I'm just thankful that Brian G gave up his bed on the trip back - which was waaay more comfortable. Thanks Brian!!  :smt023 I owe you big time  :smt023

Monday morning, woke up to rocking seas.....breakfast was served and I couldn't handle eating it all (as much as I wanted to)...the boat was swaying and I felt like blowing chunks  :smt078 ....Chuck came to the rescue and gave me some good stuff (Thanks Chuck :smt023) and I felt better in no time. Still, I felt uneasy as I began to get ready to suit-up. I just couldn't wait to get off the boat and into my comfy kayak.

The crew of the Islander were pros....getting the yaks on the water and giving some final tips on were to look for the fish. I opted to stay close to the boat since I was very tired (lack of sleep on the small bunk bed). It ended up being a good decision as I hooked up with my first yellow tail ever  :headbang: though, it wasn't the trophy size.....it was good enough for me  :smt045 I was fly linning an 8 inch mackerel while I paddled across two large kelp beds when my rod tip (a light action lamiglass off shore series - rated to 15 to 25# line) pointed down to the water....my yak began to move as the line started peeling on my reel (a shimano corvalis loaded with 20# power pro and 5 feet of 25# trilene big game) Dustin / Rockhopper was close by as I battled da beast. After what it seemed to be forever, I managed to get a glimpse of the fish and was thrilled to see that it was what I was hoping for = a yellow tail  :smt007
 :metal Had the fish within gaffing range and I kept missing it  :smt013 Dustin kindly offered me a hand but I was so determined to gaff this fish (with the specially made EK gaff....by the way, did I mention the I'm pretty bad with the gaff  :smt011 FInally, I stuck the gaff lightly on the head and it came up without a fight. After a few kodak moments, Dustin radioed in the Islander and they quickly sent a zodiac to pick up my fish (that's what you call top notch service :smt002) I re-baited and decided to follow the same pattern and slow trolled a fly lined live bait about 20 ft. away from the kelp beds and about 20 mintes later, I hooked up again - but unfortunately, the fish headed directly into the kelp beds  :BangHead: I pulled and pulled, waited for a few minutes, hoping the fish would undo itself...never happend so I spent nearly 20 min. trying to get free off the snag. I figured I was wasting time, so I cut my line and got into the game again. This time, I tried jigging right along the edge of the kelp with a megabait and got a few calicos to bite = photoed and released....coz I could hear Jim Sammons voice...commanding me to :smt118 :smt003

Wish Chef was among us...then again, I'm sure he was  :smt001

Would I do this trip again?     :smt045 :smt045 :smt045 :smt045 :smt045 :smt045 :smt045

pics to follow.....

PS: forgot to mention...the Shimano Corvalis that I used to land the YT is no longer in working order  :smt011 I have found a new respect for pelagics  :smt045 Time to pay Alan Tani a visit  :smt002

« Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 10:58:25 PM by Mooch »

ZeeHokkaido

• Sea Lion
  • Kayaking + Fishing = Happiness!
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Hokkaido
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Looks like an awesome trip, nice reporting fellas. Would love to get down there and join ya on an SD trip. I'll be looking out for the post.

Z
2010 NWKA Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - 1st place
Stealth Kayaks
Kokatat Watersports Wear
Hobie Polarized Sunglasses
Orion Coolers

anything