Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2024, 06:50:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 06:30:57 PM]

[Today at 06:09:58 PM]

[Today at 05:19:42 PM]

by Clb
[Today at 05:19:05 PM]

[Today at 01:30:39 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:58:15 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:57:35 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 09:34:00 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 04:54:29 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 01:54:14 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:53:02 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:47:27 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:36:28 AM]

[April 14, 2024, 11:07:25 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Old Town Predator 13  (Read 4779 times)

Dave W.

• Imposter Dave W. !!!!!
  • Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2014
So I've been borrowing my friend's hobbies outback (he has weekends off I have Monday and Tuesday off) to get used to kayak fishing. It's time for me to get one if my own. I think the outback is out of my price range. I've been looking at the predator 13. Anyone have thoughts on these or a suggestion for a good 'yak that's somewhere around $1300.

Thanks so much for the help!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 11:03:48 AM by Cen Coast »

RacinRob

• AOTY Committee
  • Wilderness Systems Pro Staff
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
Before you buy any kayak try several out to see what works for you.
http://WildernessSystems.com      http://ATPaddles.com
http://ShastaTackle.com               http://MacksLure.com

Wilderness Systems Kayaks Pro Staff           Heroes on the Water Coordinator
Mack's Lure Pro Staff

2018 AOTY 2nd Place
2017 ARW Halibut 3rd Place
2017 Berryessa Salmon Slam MBF winner
2014 GS8 1st Place AOTD
2014 Trinidad Rockfish Wars 1st Place--- Teamed w/ATD
2014 AOTY 3rd Place-Again
2013 AOTY 3rd Place
2012 Berryessa Salmon Slam  1st Place
2012 Sonoma Slam 1st Place---Teamed w/ATD
2012 TRW 2 1st Place----Teamed w/ATD
2012 PIF Big Salmon Winner
2012 Fresh Kats Series Champion
2012-13-14 Team NCKA Kayak Wars 1st Place Team Overall

RBark

• Shark Week every week I am OTW
  • Sea Lion
  • That Deaf Guy
  • View Profile
I have the Predator 13. It's a nice boat, but admittedly I have very limited experience with Kayaks. It's the only one I could stand up on relatively easy (6'0 and 285), and is crazy comfortable.
Thresher in avatar and Soupfin Shark in signature both caught and pic taken by me.
3rd place Kayak Connection Derby, 2014
45th place / 423 pts / 3 Species - AOTY 2014 (nowhere to go but up!)
30th place / 1132.25 pts / 7 Species - AOTY 2015 (moving up a little!)

Always looking for new people to fish with!

ravensblack

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2007
Its a great boat to have.
"I always entertain great hope" Robert Frost

The X Inn Keeper

• Life is Good!
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
Love this boat, all day comfort, and room to spare.
I have one left at the shop (yellow) with paddle $1200 ;0)
Call me
Eric
Fisherman's warehouse (Fresno)
(559)225-1838
Hobie Outback (dune)

RBark

• Sea Lion
  • That Deaf Guy
  • View Profile
I don't mean to derail, but has anyone taken this kayak out to ocean? HOw did it do?
Thresher in avatar and Soupfin Shark in signature both caught and pic taken by me.

Dave W.

• Imposter Dave W. !!!!!
  • Salmon
  • View Profile
I don't mean to derail, but has anyone taken this kayak out to ocean? HOw did it do?

Great point. I was wondering this too but forgot to ask in my OP.

Squidder K

• On the 7th day God created fishing!
  • Sea Lion
  • Old Squidder's never die!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
try a few boats out, every boat has its pro,s and con's.  Also try loading it and carrying it on your vehicle by yourself.  When you get around 13 feet things can get challenging in certain circumstances.  If all you are doing is throwing in a truck bed, not to bad, if you are putting on a a full size van roof, more challenging.  To get to my backyard, I had to go through a car port and two cars (one was a clunker that was getting given away for charity auction, the other was mine, care to guess which would I would aim towards if I was going to hit anything?). 

Also handholds can be interesting as well, Hobbie for a while made these funky built in what I call semi handholds, that were useless (my boat was made in 2006)  I ended up buying some aftermarket ones and installing them.

Hatch access on the water is a big deal too, too far forward or rearward (stern)   you won't use them.  So it is just a wasted item.  What works for a guy 6'2", won't work for my gf who is 5'0" and vice versa.
Kevin Storm
"A bad day fishing, still beats a good day of work!"
Hobie Quest
Necky Kyook
Hero's on the Water
Veteran 36th Infantry Division "The Fighting Texans"
Patriots Fan since 1967
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=field+artillery+song

Codzilla

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
I Love mine, I am 230 lbs. and can stand up on mine with ease. It is very comfortable and I have had several days over 8 hrs on it. It is not the fastest kayak but it is very stable. I have had mine in the Ocean several times, with the seat in the high position, and love it. Like everyone else has said try a few out first, the Jackson is also very stable.
Jeff
3rd place Trinidad Rockfish Wars lll
6th place GS11

Camo Hobie Outback
 Old Town Predator 13

RBark

• Sea Lion
  • That Deaf Guy
  • View Profile
I Love mine, I am 230 lbs. and can stand up on mine with ease. It is very comfortable and I have had several days over 8 hrs on it. It is not the fastest kayak but it is very stable. I have had mine in the Ocean several times, with the seat in the high position, and love it. Like everyone else has said try a few out first, the Jackson is also very stable.
Jeff

That's good to know, I've heard a lot of reports of poor secondary stability in the ocean. I had a difficult time seeing how, as I was able to nearly stand on the edge of my kayak during 10-12mph winds in the Delta.

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Jeff

That's good to know, I've heard a lot of reports of poor secondary stability in the ocean. I had a difficult time seeing how, as I was able to nearly stand on the edge of my kayak during 10-12mph winds in the Delta.

Just curious ... where are you hearing "lot of reports of poor secondary stability".  I've had a Pred13 for a year now and have taken it out in all sorts of conditions including the ocean and on class II rapids.  I just don't see any issues with secondary stability.

-Allen

RBark

• Sea Lion
  • That Deaf Guy
  • View Profile

Just curious ... where are you hearing "lot of reports of poor secondary stability".  I've had a Pred13 for a year now and have taken it out in all sorts of conditions including the ocean and on class II rapids.  I just don't see any issues with secondary stability.

-Allen

When I was doing research on what kind of Kayak to buy that would best suit my needs, that is a comment I came across a lot in google searches. I recall finding a few people saying it can't be taken out in the ocean safely in anything but the flattest water. But, I think a lot of them did not own the Predator and were mostly talking without evidence.

That's why I wanted to ask here where people have actual experience in Pacific Ocean conditions. I already bought the Predator, but it was in keeping in mind that I'm probably not going to venture out into the ocean until next year, and if the Predator turned out poor for that condition I could look into a Kayak better suited for it. But with some actual feedback now I don't think that will be necessary.

Dave W.

• Imposter Dave W. !!!!!
  • Salmon
  • View Profile
try a few boats out, every boat has its pro,s and con's.  Also try loading it and carrying it on your vehicle by yourself.  When you get around 13 feet things can get challenging in certain circumstances.  If all you are doing is throwing in a truck bed, not to bad, if you are putting on a a full size van roof, more challenging.  To get to my backyard, I had to go through a car port and two cars (one was a clunker that was getting given away for charity auction, the other was mine, care to guess which would I would aim towards if I was going to hit anything?)

Do you have any suggestions on where to go to try these boats out?

Good point on how to transport them. I will have a roof mount on a Subaru outback. Originally when I looked at the predator it said the weight was 72 lbs. I just looked at their official website and it now says 86 lbs. that's asking a little much for one person to put that on a roof of a "car"

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004

-Allen

When I was doing research on what kind of Kayak to buy that would best suit my needs, that is a comment I came across a lot in google searches. I recall finding a few people saying it can't be taken out in the ocean safely in anything but the flattest water. But, I think a lot of them did not own the Predator and were mostly talking without evidence.

That's why I wanted to ask here where people have actual experience in Pacific Ocean conditions. I already bought the Predator, but it was in keeping in mind that I'm probably not going to venture out into the ocean until next year, and if the Predator turned out poor for that condition I could look into a Kayak better suited for it. But with some actual feedback now I don't think that will be necessary.

Are you sure they were talking about stability when they said it can't be taken out in the ocean safely?

I've heard comments about the ocean, mainly along the lines of it being slower kayak.  In terms of speed, I paddle various kayaks in the range of 3.3 to 4.3 mph on a steady paddle.  The Predator 13 comes in right around the middle of the pack at 3.6-3.7 mph for me.  For comparison, an Ultra 4.7 comes in at the top end of this range.

It also has a bit more windage.  So paddling against a wind can be tougher than other kayaks.

But does either of these mean it is not an ocean boat?  Nope.  It just means you pick your days better.  But if you picked unwisely, I don't think you are in any more danger of flipping.  But perhaps you get a little more workout on the way back to the launch.

-Allen

RBark

• Sea Lion
  • That Deaf Guy
  • View Profile
try a few boats out, every boat has its pro,s and con's.  Also try loading it and carrying it on your vehicle by yourself.  When you get around 13 feet things can get challenging in certain circumstances.  If all you are doing is throwing in a truck bed, not to bad, if you are putting on a a full size van roof, more challenging.  To get to my backyard, I had to go through a car port and two cars (one was a clunker that was getting given away for charity auction, the other was mine, care to guess which would I would aim towards if I was going to hit anything?)

Do you have any suggestions on where to go to try these boats out?

Good point on how to transport them. I will have a roof mount on a Subaru outback. Originally when I looked at the predator it said the weight was 72 lbs. I just looked at their official website and it now says 86 lbs. that's asking a little much for one person to put that on a roof of a "car"

I'm stronger than most people - I can bench press 240 pounds, 12 reps. I would not be able to load the Predator on top of my Chevy Tahoe without help, or some tool to keep the top of the tailgate from getting scraped up. I plan to buy something in combination with the Thule Glide and Set.. some kind of roller maybe in order to help load it on top of my Tahoe but it's still a beast of a thing to load. Right now I just load it in the bed of my truck, it sticks out about 48" and the tailgate is half open. A temporary measure until I can afford a roof loading setup.

RE: Trying it out, I plan to be at either Lake Del Valle or Shadow Cliffs (Livermore / Pleasanton) on Saturday to spend the day not catching fish. You can try mine out for 30-60 mins if you want to meet up with me. I'm deaf so communication would be iffy, though. E-Mail me at rjbarker@gmail.com if you'd like to do this.

@polepole:

It is entirely possible I misunderstood what they were saying. Thanks for the feedback on ocean usage!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 11:21:57 AM by RBark »

anything