Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:22:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 11:13:05 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 03:17:35 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Open Shelter II = REGISTRATION IS NOW CLOSED!  (Read 11872 times)

Jacks

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
A Beautiful Sunday at the cove. Caught and released a couple more legal small butts and a starfish.

Fisherman X

• Sea Lion
  • Going to the ocean is going home
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
Beautiful starfish! I can't seem to catch that type, I always seem to get the leggy ones!  :smt002
-Success is living the life you want-
Joel ><>

Hammerhead avatar in memory of CdM

Fiver

• Enlightened Soul
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2010
Awesome time this weekend, probably the flattest I have ever seen Shelter Cove.  Thanks to Eric & Verna for putting on the event!

Uminchu Naoaki

• Fisherman from Okinawa
  • Sea Lion
  • Uminchu
  • View Profile my YouTube
  • Date Registered: Jun 2006
Awesome time this weekend, probably the flattest I have ever seen Shelter Cove.  Thanks to Eric & Verna for putting on the event!
Awesome time & flat ocean indeed!!!
Wish could stay there longer...
Thank you so much Eric & Verna!!!
Ash, baby Skylar & I had a great time!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fisherman X

• Sea Lion
  • Going to the ocean is going home
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
Great photos, Naoaki! Just guessing, I'd caption them:
1. Watching Dad fishing with his friends, can't wait to go, too.
2. Hi Dad, whadya catch?
-Success is living the life you want-
Joel ><>

Hammerhead avatar in memory of CdM

cam3087

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2012
What an awesome time hanging with the crew. I've been so busy this summer I haven't been able to get out as much as I'd like. I trolled all day for salmon but wasn't it the cards for me. Conditions were great and even better the next day even though I didn't go out sunday. Thanks Eric Kai for a great tourney. Congrats Kevin for the win. Glad I got to witness the big Wahooo for the 5th species greenling. Awesome potluck too. F'in starving after a long day otw so my stomach was full. See most of you guys again soon.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

2nd Place 2014 Trinidad Rockfish Wars IV

Papa Al

• You can call me Al
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2005
Good to see some reports. I was wondering if the event actually happened.
Where's the official results?  :smt102

Al

crazyfisher

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015
had an amazing time as always!! very tiring but full report soon. Just a teaser...caught and release a 200-250 lbs fish, I'm editing the video now...

thank you Eric for hosting such an awesome event. Sorry I didn't make it over to the Inn...I blame it on Antonio for taking us to the bar the night before the tourny and pouring craft beer down our throat lol

E Kayaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2010
I had a great time. Started out in the fog. I haven’t done much kayaking in the fog. It took a little while to get used to using my compass, I’m glad I have one mounted on the deck. When I fished the last Gimme Shelter I created a waypoint whenever I hooked up. I figured if there was a fish there then there’s a good chance there will be more. I headed out to fish those spots and came across a pinnacle at one location. It seemed like good structure so I kept at it. The drift was so fast and the area wasn’t that big so I had a hard time staying on it. Every time I’d stop paddling for a minute I’d have to paddle back. Every time I caught a fish or broke off I’d have to paddle a long way back. I spent the whole time paddling to try and stay on the structure. I ended up with 3 decent blacks, one was 19 1/2 inches. The day ended up with a fun time at the pot luck and beautiful conditions next to the beach. I hope I can make it again next year.
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=42846.msg470404#msg470404

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.  ~John Buchan

crazyfisher

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015
Here is my report. Drove through the night on Wed from Fresno to Shelter Cove. Arrived at 2:30 am, slept in the car until sunrise. Fish all day with no salmon/pac hali/ca hali love. Secure a campsite and rinse and repeat the next day.

Friday roll around and on the water. Started around the green can since JT got one on Thursday. With not much action around there, I started to explore south of the green can. I'm in 90-100 feet of water with my kripple anchovy on the DR down at 50 feet. Noon arrive and the line pop off the DR. The line takes off like Usain bolt running the 100m lol It was unstoppable. Could this be it...the monster salmon that I have been looking for!! I reach down and started the gopro to record.

After 30 mins, I quickly realized that it wasn't a salmon. What could it be...a thresher shark went through my mind. Sweet...I always wanted to get one. After an hour of fighting, it ran toward my kayak with lightning speed. I reel as quick as possible. I need a two speed high ratio reel, any recommendation lol...anyways as it got to the kayak I got a glimpse of it. Its a shark!! what kind is still up in the air.

Another 30 mins goes by and I got on the radio to get some help from JT. Just in case something were to happen to me lol Another 30 mins, I got it close to the kayak and tried to look for the tell tale sign of a thresher shark. The long tail!! since at this moment it was on the surface and the tail should be whipping by now. However I don't see the tail. Yikes!! It only gave me a few second to look before it dart off and taking 300 feet of line in a matter of second. I had to chase it down or else it would have spooled me. I quickly gave chase and regain the lines back. I was determined to 100 percent verify if it was a thresher shark or not. I must be stubborn or dumb lol

I continue to fight it. Its now taking me east away from shore. I'm about 3-4 miles from the launch at this point. JT is around circling me in case I needed help. He was like its a thresher shark. I ask I should see the long tail don't I...well after another 30 minutes, I got it next to me again and sure enough no long tail!! It sure look like a great white shark. I'm not a shark expert so I assume the worst. I have caught leopard and sand shark before and the tail doesn't look like it at all. It look like the tail of a great white. I could see that its about 5-6 foot against my kayak. I can see the gills and big head!!  I can see the triangle nose and white belly!! After 2.5 hrs, my gopro battery died and I tried to take picture of it but was tough to handle the phone (especially a wet iphone, I couldn't get the screen to work with wet salty fingers). It was either try and take a picture and lose the rod since the shark was camera shy.

At any rate, no luck on getting a picture. After 2.5 hrs, I finally want to verify it one more time. Got next to the kayak and verify that it wasn't a thresher shark. I reach over and cut the line. I was able to get my flasher back at least.

After doing some research, it appear its a salmon shark since it looks like a great white. After seeing picture of what a salmon shark look like, I'm pretty sure it was a salmon shark and not a great white lol Good thing I guess lol I also saw a video of someone teasing a salmon shark at Shelter 3 years ago   on youtube.

At any rate, thats my crazy shark story. Sorry if I alarm some at campsite about the GWS I caught. It was crazy!!

Beside that, I fished it hard for 4 days for salmon and pac hali. On Sat, I did hookup on a 32 inch salmon north of Abalone point. But unfortunately it was a coho :( Other than that numerous RF and lingcod. One lingcod was about 35 inch which was fun.

Thanks again Eric for putting on the tournament. It was awesome hanging out with everyone at camp and sharing stories. A lot of craft beer and great food consumed. Looking forward to next year!! Hopefully the salmon and pac hali are around...even the abacore tuna would be awesome lol someone told me they came in as close as 7 miles!!

Enjoy the shorten version of the fight. I cut it down from 2.5 hrs to 6 mins.

• Cabeza de Martillo
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
I blame it on Antonio for taking us to the bar the night before the tourny and pouring craft beer down our throat lol

:smt059   :smt077 
Pronounced in Spanish  ka·be·za de mar·t·yo
Translates to Hammerhead in English for my Gringo amigos.
....and yes that's me with a 6ft. green moray in the avatar.

"Spearos before Hos" - Silent Hunter

"Give your son a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach him how to spearfish and he'll feed you for a lifetime" - Cabeza de Martillo

Proud Papa of ...........
2018 JAOTY Lucas aka Baja Ninja
2018 JDOTY Noah aka Silent Hunter

Dogwood

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2013
Great account of your fishing trip at Shelter Cove. With I could have been there. Great video. Glad it was not a great white. Not quite sure what I would do if I had to fight a fish for more than 2 hours. Don’t think I would make an hour fighting a fish like that. Enjoy reading your fishing experiences. Glad you had a Hobie, I’m sure your experience would have been different if it was not a Hobie, nice going . :beer3 :beer3

Jacks

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
Thanks Eric and Verna for organizing and hosting another great event at the Cove, “where life is good.”  I had another great stay at the Tides Inn and was able to enjoy the two surfers 🏄  🏄‍♀️ on Sunday from the comfort of my room.

anything