Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:08:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:06:57 PM]

[Today at 06:46:00 PM]

[Today at 06:45:26 PM]

[Today at 06:45:01 PM]

[Today at 05:32:15 PM]

[Today at 04:51:41 PM]

[Today at 03:38:04 PM]

[Today at 02:40:25 PM]

[Today at 12:23:11 PM]

[Today at 10:38:26 AM]

[Today at 08:08:50 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:26:01 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:53:15 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 02:15:59 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 01:10:11 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 11:10:06 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:46:32 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:43:09 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:32:03 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Official 2006 Elk info thread- More prizes added!!  (Read 8155 times)

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010

This is an absolutely awesome event, in a beautiful location, with unmatched angling.  The event is a fundraiser for the Greenwood Community Center.  While it may seem like there are a lot of "restrictions", its all to maintain the love.  This is my favorite event of the year, and you will have a blast.  Good cause, great people and scenery, outstanding angling.

Registration

Registration for this event is limited.  The town of Elk doesn't want this to be a huge event, so we have to live with these rules.  The good news is the "small" size does keep it cozy. Even at the limited size this will likely be the biggest kayak fishing tourney in Norcal.  The limitations are as follows:

50 "overnighting" non-mendocino county residents.  The 50 only includes registered kayak anglers, not family members in your group.  Reg for this group is $45, which includes "overnighting" (formerly known as camping) at the Greenwood Community Center (GCC) for Fri. and Sat. nights.

Unlimited reg to "non-overnighting" Mendocino county residents. Reg. for this group is $30 for the tourney and events on Sat. Does not include any overnighting.

Between out-of-county and local participants expect around 60 anglers

About the GCC and the event

We will have all of the same facilities as last year.  The commercial kitchen has been improved, in part, from our donation from last year. 

We will have outside showers again and nice porta potties, as well as indoor potties and showers for the ladies.  PLEASE use them, no wizzing outside!

We will do movies and popcorn again on Friday night.

Potluck on Saturday, with a keg of Great White courtesy of GWKC.  This is the best part of the event.  Be prepared to bring a big dish to share.  The quality of chow produced by the NCKA members is outstanding!!! Be hungry!!! 

The potluck is open to anyone, including non-anglers and the community.

To prevent damage to the GCC septic system, we cannot park on the lawn this year. Be prepared to park in a designated parking area and schlep your overnighting gear to the "lawn" area.

Tourney

Tourney will be on Sat.  Launch at 0600 or as soon as it is deemed safe.  Weigh-in at 1330 at the GCC.  Single heavy fish format.  Last years winnng ling was 26#s...so was second place...3rd was almost 20#.  Oh my!!!

First prize is a Cobra Marauder from Cobra Kayaks or a pair of his and hers Mini-X's from Malibu Kayaks, which ever the winner chooses.  Second place gets second choice... :smt003.  Lots of other great prizes as well.  Sponsors include GWKC, Cobra Kayaks, Malibu Kayaks, Surf to Summit, Cannon Paddles, and West Marine.  Plenty of loot to be had!

About the Resources

This is a low-pressure fishing area, and as a result the fishing here can be outstanding.  We ALL want it to stay this way.  Please harvest selectively.  A warden lives directly adjacent to the GCC.  He doesn't like this event.  Expect ALL DFG regs. to be strictly enforced.  Since most will be on site for multiple days be mindful of both daily and possesion limits.  With the quality of fish to be had, you WILL leave with PLENTY of fish. 

Shirts

Surf to Summit recently aquired a new digital t-sirt machine, so we will have shirts this year.  The vermllion rockfish at the top of the page will be on the back in full color.  If you want one, please tell us your size and how many you would like when you register.  Shirts will be $15.

Raffle

Erik Kunz will be doing a raffle to benefit Coastside again this year.  Knowing Erik you can only imagine what first prize will be!  Lots of other great prizes too.

About the town

Elk is a small town on Hwy 1 about 9 miles south of Hwy 128. It is a living postcard...beautiful.  Expect it to take approximately 1.5 hours from the town of Cloverdale.  Aproximately 3 hours from the Golden Gate.  Traffic in Sonoma County can be hell! 

There are several outstanding cafe's within walking distance and a small general store next door.  Lots of nice boutiques etc. too.

The whole town will be watching us this year.  While most were fine with the event from last year, there were also a few detractors.  Please help us keep this event alive by being who we are. 

About the launch

We will be overnighting on a bluff.  There is a long, moderately steep fire road to the beach.  You will need some sort of cart.  It is WAY too long to carry a yak.  The launch is a surf launch that varies with the swell.  Under 6 feet its generally not too tough if your an experienced surf launcher.  Over six feet is for the experienced only.  If its too rough or too long of a walk, you are allowed to launch anywhere in the vicinity and enter your fish. 

« Last Edit: July 19, 2006, 06:55:19 PM by scwafish »

KayakJames

• Sea Lion
  • Yes it is good
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2006
can we sign up now I really dont want to miss out on this one.
Where did he go george

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
If we come with 2 kayakers out of 3 in the group how much will registration be?
<=>

bsteves

• Fish Nerd; AOTY Architect
  • Sea Lion
  • Better Fishing through Science!
  • View Profile Northwest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
Sweet, my vermilion photo is going to be a t-shirt.  It looks great and I can't wait to get one.  Hey, can I get a guaranteed spot in exchange for the use of my photo on the t-shirt?  How about as returning champ to defend my title? 

Sounds like there are going to be about 500+ disappointed Nor-Cal kayak anglers (and probably plenty of So-Cal ones as well) who won't be able to register for this event.

Brian
Elk I Champ
BAM II Champ

Bill

• Sea Lion
  • My Brother
  • View Profile GulfStream Outdoors
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
If we come with 2 kayakers out of 3 in the group how much will registration be?

That would be $90 Tote, every angler has to pay $45 entry fee.

Bill

• Sea Lion
  • My Brother
  • View Profile GulfStream Outdoors
can we sign up now I really dont want to miss out on this one.

Watch this forum around noon for signup info!

KZ

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile Kunz's Reel Rods
Coastside Raffle Information

Again, I'll be coordinating a raffle at the Elk Tournament to benefit the Coastside Fishing Club.  You all know how greatly the CFC has benefitted all Californian anglers this year (i.e. we actually have a salmon season for starters), and they continue to fight the good fight on our behalf.  Consider this your opportunity to show your support for Coastside by bringing plenty-o-cash to the Elk derby to buy a big pile of raffle tickets.

Tickets will be sold for $5 each.

Prizes:

I am building a custom rod for the raffle that I would normally sell for upwards of $300.  It'll be a 7', 15-25# Composite rod with solid titanium framed guides, acid wrapped, with oversized foregrip designed to make the rod float if dropped overboard.  More details on that once the rod is finished.

The rest of the prize list will be posted at a later date prior to the derby.  If it's anything like last year, the prize list will be very substantial.

Soliciting for Prizes
If you are able to solicit local businesses or otherwise provide prizes for the raffle, please send me a PM or email to let me know what the prizes are so that I can keep a list of prizes and contributors. If businesses request a letter / reciept indicating the purpose of the raffle, I'll provide that upon request.

Last year our raffle raised a generous $600 for Coastside... I think we can easily surpass that number this year.

The raffle will be open to all who attend the Derby / Potluck dinner (entrants, guests, and visitors alike).  You must be present to win, or make arrangements for someone to accept your prize(s) on your behalf if you have to leave early.

EK

2006 Elk Tourney Champion
2006 Angler of the Year 3rd Place

Kunz's Reel Rods
www.kzreelrods.com

Acts 10:13 And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.

MolBasser

• Sea Lion
  • Kayak disguised as a Bass
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2005
Looks like a beautiful spot....

MolBasser
2006 Kayak Connection Father's Day Champion
"The Science of Fishing"
Relax, Don't Worry, Have a Homebrew!
  :happy10:

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
To all who did not attend last year....this is what you missed  :smt002

http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/bb/index.php?topic=1409.0

akonuia

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2006
after reading and seeing all the great pics...i can't wait till the sign-up is ready...

Mahi

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Coastside Raffle Information

Soliciting for Prizes
If you are able to solicit local businesses or otherwise provide prizes for the raffle, please send me a PM or email to let me know what the prizes are so that I can keep a list of prizes and contributors. If businesses request a letter / receipt indicating the purpose of the raffle, I'll provide that upon request.

EK,

I am the Vice President of the Mendocino County Deputy Sheriff's Association and will be attending the Elk event. On behalf of the Mendocino County Deputy Sheriff's Association, I will be donating two $50.00 gift certificates from the Outdoor Pro Shops. I will bring them with me on the 11th of August.

Thanks for all your hard work, as I too have been tasked with organizing prizes for our Christmas dinner. I know things can get hectic.

Dan

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
Hey Dan,

How about a few "get out of jail pass".......or even better "get out of a speeding ticket pass" since most of us go past the speed limit just to get to Lake Mendo intime for the striper boils  :smt003

MolBasser

• Sea Lion
  • Kayak disguised as a Bass
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2005
How about a dozen doughnuts for the local uptight warden?

MolBasser
2006 Kayak Connection Father's Day Champion
"The Science of Fishing"
Relax, Don't Worry, Have a Homebrew!
  :happy10:

Mahi

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I'm going to try and hook-up with Kevin (The Warden) and see what the deal is. Maybe he could come and teach a short class Friday night? I know th
e guy and he really is good guy. I'm serious.

And I only have one doughnut, it's the one just above my belt line and right below my sunken chest.

CHEERS!

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
He seems like a good guy to me too. He has checked my catch several times and always been courteous etc.  Kevin's beef with this event is that we are fishing in "his" spot.  He'll tell you otherwise, but from what I can tell it's a NIMBY issue.  There is no real biological or ecological reason to be opposed to a one day event like this.  Our take will be equivalent to one party boat for one day...in other words, insiginificant.