Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 04:14:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 11:58:24 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 09:24:28 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 07:49:41 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 09:45:43 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:27:22 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:37:51 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:28:42 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 09:08:36 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:41:07 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:12:18 AM]

[April 19, 2024, 10:54:38 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 10:40:43 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Shark Shield vs. GWS  (Read 5739 times)

Rk2fish

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2018
My wife and I have been trying to get into the salmon action the last couple of weeks but one of the main issues besides the drive that is keeping me from actually doing it -Sharks!  It seems there have been more shark sightings lately. I've been researching the Shark Shields lately and I'm seriously thinking of getting one. Only problem, I might have to get two. So that being said, would I be able to get by with just one as long as we stay close to each other? Do some of you guys just wing it without the SS and not worry about the taxman?  Do you guys actually have proof it works like you saw a shark close by, turned it on and the shark left the area? Am I making a bigger deal of this situation? I am also considering just buying another boat again just for the ocean. 

FishingAddict

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007
If you want to join an exclusive club then dont buy one.    :smt002
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=50078.0
2018 Hobie Revolution 13 Cheeesy Orange Papaya
2019 Hobie Revolution 11 Seagrass Green

coop

• Salmon
  • View Profile Mojo Magic
  • Date Registered: Jun 2014
I don’t think it would cover two kayaks unless you were literally within feet of each other. Unless it went by the ss first and it detoured him from the general area. It’s easier to say this because I’m on an AI but I keep mine next to me in a dry bag. I found the battery doesn’t last as long as I do out there, creates extra drag I don’t need and I just don’t worry as much. I keep it with me in case one comes around or I’m still on the AI after being hit. I could deploy fairly quickly. My biggest fear  is a hit strong enough to knock me off and watch the AI sail away. Especially because I’m out there solo frequently. With the amount of sharks rising quickly along with their size I have considered strapping it to my ankle like a diver so I can turn it on if this happens. So far my laziness has out weighed my fear.  Odds of getting a full attack is very rare. Odds of him sticking around after realizing your not food even more in your favor. Unless he’s protecting something or just having a really bad day. I will say just having it does give me extra peace of mind which has made it worth it for me. Expensive placebo though 
Aka Mark
Red Hobie AI
Yellow Hobie TI

http://www.mojomagic.com

Fisherman X

• Sea Lion
  • Going to the ocean is going home
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
<snipped> Do you guys actually have proof it works like you saw a shark close by, turned it on and the shark left the area?

There’s this:
-Success is living the life you want-
Joel ><>

Hammerhead avatar in memory of CdM

• Fishing is the perpetual series occasion of hope.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2009
I'm just curious, instead of having 2 kayaks, why can you just get Tandem? That way it you only need 1 SS not to mentioned saving money on the kayak alone. I do have shark shield. Does it work? I think so, I get the peace of mind I needed. I've seen too many sharks before I purchase it. There was one at Bean Hollow I had 3 encounter. Too much and freaks the shit of me. Now I have Shark Shields and Crocs to deter sharks  :smt044
Live today for tomorrow's sake.
We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give.

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
IMHO, the best evidence that the SS works is here:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/cdn.freshdesk.com/data/helpdesk/attachments/production/14001192296/original/Effects%20of%20an%20Electric%20Field%20on%20White%20Sharks.pdf?X-Amz-Algorithm=AWS4-HMAC-SHA256&X-Amz-Credential=AKIAJ2JSYZ7O3I4JO6DA%2F20190822%2Fus-east-1%2Fs3%2Faws4_request&X-Amz-Date=20190822T031749Z&X-Amz-Expires=300&X-Amz-Signature=f98674ee5079f3940825761aec0935d2c76a8992fe42e8461d33293a1e1e204e&X-Amz-SignedHeaders=Host&response-content-type=application%2Fpdf

In particular, see Table 4, as that is the most relevant for kayakers. In that table, the number of “surface interactions” with the SS turned on is 0–as opposed to 16 with it turned off—and numbers like that don’t just happen by random chance.

The theory is that sharks spend some time scouting out their target before launching a “Polaris” attack. It’s during that scouting phase where the shark shield has an effect, as the shark senses that something is not right and moves on to something else. So, I’d say it’s a mistake to think that you can deploy the SS after you see a shark, as when the shark is deciding whether to attack or not, you’re not going to see it.
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Quote from: Rk2fish
Do some of you guys just wing it without the SS and not worry about the taxman?

This is, by far, most of us.  Having a SS is much more common now, but it's still a vast majority of us that do not have it or do not have it on.

I've been doing this sport for over 20 years and am deeply invested in time on the water.  I've seen one GWS, and it wasn't interested in attacking anything.  I'm not saying you don't need the SS, but having a life threatening encounter is still just a remote possibility, IMO.

Get out there and catch a salmon!
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

Rk2fish

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2018
I'm just curious, instead of having 2 kayaks, why can you just get Tandem? That way it you only need 1 SS not to mentioned saving money on the kayak alone. I do have shark shield. Does it work? I think so, I get the peace of mind I needed. I've seen too many sharks before I purchase it. There was one at Bean Hollow I had 3 encounter. Too much and freaks the shit of me. Now I have Shark Shields and Crocs to deter sharks  :smt044
That was our intention early this year, to buy a tandem because we hated loading two kayaks and double everything else in our truck or kayak trailer. So we sold our Pescudor Pilots and went up to CCK to demo three tandems. We ended up with two Outbacks! Go figure. lol.

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
... having a life threatening encounter is still just a remote possibility, IMO.

Certainly an attack is not likely. But it seems to me that’s we do see a serious GWS event involving someone on this forum at least once per season.
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

tubbz808

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2016
Whats the price tag on a shark shield and where to purchase?

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Nolanduke

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2016
Get out there and catch a salmon!

+1
also, while close threatening encounters have happened, most all targeted are still here fully intact to tell the tale.  Again, supporting odds I would take in any situation besides fishing - Like driving to work on the 101.  That shit is no joke! 

Fisherman X

• Sea Lion
  • Going to the ocean is going home
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
-Success is living the life you want-
Joel ><>

Hammerhead avatar in memory of CdM

• View Profile
Whats the price tag on a shark shield and where to purchase?

Message me. I know someone that can give you good deal.  :smt002

tubbz808

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2016
I tried to msg but it wont let me

• View Profile
I tried to msg but it wont let me

too bad  :smt044