Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:15:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:17:00 AM]

[Today at 08:02:19 AM]

[Today at 05:07:22 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: YARD SALE on Main Street  (Read 3089 times)

MCHN8

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2019
Just another example of how everything seems fine until it isn't. Luckily all of the important gear was tied down. I did leave the center hatch unlocked so my tackle boxes made a run for it. Note Kieth's ninja pounce and recovery, thank you!

TheKeeneroo

• Salmon
  • Eric
  • View Profile FIN + FORAGE
  • Date Registered: Feb 2018
Glad it turned out well and dude was there to promptly run down and help
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward

There's definitely a fish under THIS rock....

Eric, Pacific Grove
Instagram - @thekeeneroo
Facebook - @Ekeener1
Level 1 Free Dive Cert, EANx
FIN + FORAGE - Founder                  www.finandforage.com

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
Forward momentum will greatly help making it to shore w/o a yard sale.
Attack the shore. Paddle hard like your life depends on it.
Glad everyone made it back safely.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 09:58:56 AM by Tote »
<=>

kayak2DMax

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2018
Hey, at least we now have a "how to" instructional video.
2015 Tamarack Angler Kayak 10
2016 Field and Stream Eagle Talon 13
2018 Pescador Pilot 12.0

MCHN8

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Hey, at least we now have a "how to" instructional video.

Exactly! Let me know if you guys would like any other topics covered. :)

Martianfish

• Sea Lion
  • SEMPER PARATUS
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
? How to consistently catch fish ?  I know that this is a far fetched dream though🤬
Yakhopper's  Alameda Rock Wall  1st Place  June 13, 2010
2016 Hobie Outback
ARW Godfather

Grim Reefer

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2014
I’m not impressed.... I stick the landing like that just about every time...haha...as my kids 2nd grade teacher would say, this is a teachable moment...can the experts provide some advice?  I admittedly SUCK at landings...to me it looks like you braced on the wrong side and it was too late by the time you tried to switch? I need to just go play in the surf because it really is a weakness for me.  Can anyone suggest some surf launch/landing seminars?

Somewhere there is a vid of me eating crap at Cayucos... but I added a couple rolls for style points. 

MCHN8

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
I’m not impressed.... I stick the landing like that just about every time...haha...as my kids 2nd grade teacher would say, this is a teachable moment...can the experts provide some advice?  I admittedly SUCK at landings...to me it looks like you braced on the wrong side and it was too late by the time you tried to switch? I need to just go play in the surf because it really is a weakness for me.  Can anyone suggest some surf launch/landing seminars?

Somewhere there is a vid of me eating crap at Cayucos... but I added a couple rolls for style points.

:)

I grew up in Idaho whitewater kayaking and rafting, was a safety boater for two summers, etc, so IMHO the primary issue we have is inertia. Trying to turn one of these pigs with a paddle is a lesson in delayed response and then when they do finally rotate more than 5 degrees there's almost no chance of recovery (add in some velocity with a wave pushing you and input to turn rate response becomes even more asymptotic).

For me yesterday the boat was turning starboard, and I was bracing port-side to counter it, then rotated beyond the point of no return. The lesson learned for me was to drag harder. Drop that paddle like your dropping anchor, like you're plowing a field if you want to correct any rotation.

Other than that the advice above regarding coming in with a head of steam is good too.   

jp52

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2017
Glad you weren't hurt and didn't lose too much gear. Made me flashback to my own failed landing a few months ago. It looks like a wave caught you and pushed you toward shore before you wanted to go.

Mark L

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2017
It is totally possible to learn how to go safely out and in from the surf. I have taken two surf zone classes through River and Ocean. Following is a write up of my first one.

http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=83924.msg953468#msg953468
2018 Eddyline Yellow Caribbean 14 Angler

kayak2DMax

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2018
There are certain factors we can and cannot control when surf launching and landing. Certain circumstances instills doubt and tentativeness when making split second decisions.
Be prepared for the worst and hope for the best. Strap everything down, store away items that might break free and make sure nothing is sticking out that could potentially break during a failed launch or landing.
2015 Tamarack Angler Kayak 10
2016 Field and Stream Eagle Talon 13
2018 Pescador Pilot 12.0

chopper

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2012
Thanks for the video. Glad everything worked out. The only pointers I would offer is that when that first bigger wave went under you you hesitated for a second before paddling - you want to follow the backside of those waves in.

It looks like you're already trying to do my other point, but things just went south too quick and that is to give up on that drag on the left side sooner and switch to a brace on the incoming wave side (you're right in the video).

I not familiar with how the rudder is set up on the Compass, but if possible retract it for the landing.

And don't feel bad. I helped TLA gather his stuff from a much better wipe out there a couple years ago. Glad to see he finally replaced the landing net that he shortened that day by several inches.

Cheers,
Brad

crazyfisher

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015
thnx for the video! One thing I saw is that you were sitting in the danger zone for too long!! move quick and paddle as hard as you can after you timed the sets. Once you commit go at it hard and don't stop!!

Everyone has gone through the process, just takes experience and luck lol or be like chet and JT and go full out without timing it. Beast mode!

crazyfisher

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015
here is my landing at LM 2 years ago...Learning to brace is your friend when a sneaky wave comes at you!! Put all your body weight...I mean everything you got so no part of the kayak gets lifted up toward the wave. Fun times lol Let just say I have some footage of someone wiping out pretty bad that day but I won't post it

Lost_Anchovy

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile The Lost Anchovy
  • Date Registered: Mar 2008
Thanks for the video. Glad everything worked out. The only pointers I would offer is that when that first bigger wave went under you you hesitated for a second before paddling - you want to follow the backside of those waves in.

It looks like you're already trying to do my other point, but things just went south too quick and that is to give up on that drag on the left side sooner and switch to a brace on the incoming wave side (you're right in the video).

I not familiar with how the rudder is set up on the Compass, but if possible retract it for the landing.

And don't feel bad. I helped TLA gather his stuff from a much better wipe out there a couple years ago. Glad to see he finally replaced the landing net that he shortened that day by several inches.

Cheers,
Brad

We promised never to talk about that day brad.  :smt005 :smt005 :smt044 :smt044

It wasn't the sketchiest of days but it wasn't comfortable either. It's a beast to try and land the new Outback. It isn't a very surf friendly vessel, but i seems to handle well on the water from what I heard. Glad you made it back without a big yard sale and a lesson learned.  :smt001--TLA

www.Thelostanchovy.com
Kayak Adventures, blog and tutorials

Winner - 2014 Kayak Connection Derby
2nd -2103 MBK Tournament