Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 04:31:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 02:08:34 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:47:56 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:07:55 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:13:54 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:08:56 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:43:02 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:57:35 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 04:54:29 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 01:54:14 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:53:02 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:47:27 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:36:28 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Wetsuit recommendations  (Read 2856 times)

Tinker

I can't tell if this is the pace to ask the question, but here goes.

I want a full suit wetsuit.  I have no idea who's making solid products.  I'm looking for recommendation from the folks who wear them doing what I'll be doing in mine (not peeing, so let's skip right past that).

BACKGROUND

I have a dry suit, but I have too many situations in which I don't need that level of protection.  I have a spring "shorty" wet suit, but I've been in water where a little more would be a much better idea.  A full suit will be my Momma Bear immersion wear - not too much, not too little, but just right.

I fish with a guy who recommended a Henderson Talon and they appear to be great suits BUT... I can't see paying $400 for a suit I'll use maybe two or three times a year.

If this helps at all, I don't want to go with a farmer john/dry top combination if for no other reason than that's can be darned near as expensive as another dry suit.

Up here in NWKA, it's dry suit country.  Down here in NCKA, wet suits are much more common.  You folks would know what I should be looking at.

Give a fellow a hand, please?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 10:54:06 AM by Tinker »

Mojo Jojo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2016
I can't tell if this is the pace to ask the question, but here goes.

I want a full suit wetsuit.  I have no idea who's making solid products.  I'm looking for recommendation from the folks who wear them doing what I'll be doing in mine (not peeing, so let's skip right past that).

BACKGROUND

I have a dry suit, but I have too many situations in which I don't need that level of protection.  I have a spring "shorty" wet suit, but I've been in water where a little more would be a much better idea.  A full suit will be my Momma Bear immersion wear - not too much, not too little, but just right.

I fish with a guy who recommended a Henderson Talon and they appear to be great suits BUT... I can't see paying $400 for a suit I'll use maybe two of three times a year.

If this helps at all, I don't want to go with a farmer john/dry top combination if for no other reason than that's can be darned near as expensive as another dry suit.

Up here in NWKA, it's dry suit country.  Down here in NCKA, wet suits are much more common.  You folks would know what I should be looking at.

Give a fellow a hand, please?
Dude body glove 3mil or Excel 3/4 depending on expected water temp and how your body runs temperature wise but get a surfers suit it moves better in my opinion. YMMV. I have one of each in 2 xl if you drag your arse up here to fish you can try one.

2013 Jackson Big Tuna.........Ours
2011 Native Mariner Propel 12.5...His
2015 Native Slayer Propel 13.......Hers
20?? Emotion ,Sparky.....7 yr old grandson's
Event Coordinator
Heroes On the Water
North Oregon Coast Chapter
Team C.O.D. FISHING (Crazy Old Dudes)just for forum fun challenges

Tinker

Thank you, Mojo.  I'll be heading up to Portland in a couple of weeks, I might just hang a right on the way home and make a stop in Tillamook.

Lir

remember no matter which brand you buy ; relief zipper 

JohnnyAb

• Sea Lion
  • FISH IN THE SEA,LIVE IN THE WOODS,WORK AT BEACH
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2016
I got two "Surfing type" suits from SeaScum and they work well for me
What I like the most about the O'Neill, it came with two different Head/Neck options that connect via zippers below the neck in front and back
If I'm bodysurfing, I use the hood
But the best part in my opinion is the suit is extremely more comfortable without either being pulled over my head and tightly sealed around my neck. 
I also wear other outer items, but I seldom overheat with this, and if I do, I find it easy to pull down and cool off
"Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking”     -J.C. Watts

“we are a community that is committed to each other, the health of our waters, and the sport we all love"
-Scurvy

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2018
remember no matter which brand you buy ; relief zipper

sooooo true!
2015 Hobie Revo 13
2017 Hobie i12s
Stealth Fisha 460

garyjwebb

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
If you already know your size try swimoutlet.com good prices on surf suits.

Fisherman X

• Sea Lion
  • Going to the ocean is going home
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
If you are only going to use it 2-3 times a year and are “off-the-rack” sized, there are several mfr that have suits in the $149 - $199 range.

I’d recommend trying them on in a shop or doing web buys with co’s that offer no-hassle, free returns. A relief zipper is a HUGE benefit. Once you have one....
-Success is living the life you want-
Joel ><>

Hammerhead avatar in memory of CdM

Tinker

About Relief Zippers: I've read that recommendation several times here in NCKA but I've yet to see an off-the-rack wetsuit featuring one.  The closest thing I've run across is a full-frontal zipper, like the zipper on my NRS shorty.

I've also read that some folks have had a relief zipper added to their wetsuit.

If there are off-the-rack brands with such a marvelous option, would you let me know which brand(s) offer them?  And if you've had your wetsuit customized to add a relief zipper, who did the work for you?

We have a few surf shop up here, but nothing like you have in California.

- Kevin 

Fisherman X

• Sea Lion
  • Going to the ocean is going home
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
-Success is living the life you want-
Joel ><>

Hammerhead avatar in memory of CdM

Tinker

Mojo Jojo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2016
Thank you, Mojo.  I'll be heading up to Portland in a couple of weeks, I might just hang a right on the way home and make a stop in Tillamook.
I’ll be in Arizona August 3rd -9th plan on some tome to fish if you can I have 2 propels, if you don’t know how to peddle I have the Big Tuna as well.

2013 Jackson Big Tuna.........Ours
2011 Native Mariner Propel 12.5...His
2015 Native Slayer Propel 13.......Hers
20?? Emotion ,Sparky.....7 yr old grandson's
Event Coordinator
Heroes On the Water
North Oregon Coast Chapter
Team C.O.D. FISHING (Crazy Old Dudes)just for forum fun challenges

bdon

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016

Don't need a dry top.

NRS 3/2 Farmer John suit is $150.  Add a nice paddle jacket to this $100 and total is $250.  Much cheaper than a dry suit ($500+).  You can sometimes find these on sale online.

If you already have a windbreaker or something like that, you wouldn't even need the paddle jacket. 

A farmer john suit is way more comfortable than a full wet suit, and a lot more breathable and less hot.

Madraz

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2018
I bought a 3mm Storm John Wetsuit for $69 online from next adventure. It has a relief zipper and I already had 2 surfing wetsuits anyway, the relief zipper is a must unless you want to pee in your wetsuit. When surfing you can pee away to your hearts content as it gets flushed regularly since you are completely immersed sitting for hours in a kayak not so much. The zipper can opened either from the top or the bottom.

tehpenguins

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2019

Don't need a dry top.

NRS 3/2 Farmer John suit is $150.  Add a nice paddle jacket to this $100 and total is $250.  Much cheaper than a dry suit ($500+).  You can sometimes find these on sale online.

If you already have a windbreaker or something like that, you wouldn't even need the paddle jacket. 

A farmer john suit is way more comfortable than a full wet suit, and a lot more breathable and less hot.

+1
another +1

you also have the ability to layer some neoprene clothing, and it really does help.  If it's 60< even with a NRS Farmer John 3/2 and a 1 mil top I'm warm but not overheating, and if it's <60 I add a rashguard windbreaker and some 1 mil gloves and I'm sitting pretty warm.

and again to the price, I got it for 150 at REI and then they had 20% off on it after that. MSRP isn't bad.  got the gloves for 15, Already had the windbreaker and rashguard
- Shane

2015 Papaya Hobie Revolution 13
2014 Hibiscus Revolution 13
2011 Blue F150 with Camper Shell

anything