Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 05:42:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 05:17:28 PM]

[Today at 05:16:40 PM]

[Today at 05:09:26 PM]

[Today at 04:31:01 PM]

by &
[Today at 04:22:40 PM]

[Today at 01:09:18 PM]

[Today at 11:46:31 AM]

[Today at 10:38:46 AM]

[Today at 10:16:10 AM]

[Today at 06:30:45 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:23:34 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 12:06:38 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Forecast app  (Read 1353 times)

Redbobber1498

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2018
Anybody know a good app for predicting wind and swells.  I noticed a couple of times the app I use is completely wrong and I end up wasting my time heading to the launch.  I use Wisuki on my iPhone.  Thanks in advance.

Nolanduke

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2016
Use the search function... there are lots of posts on this.  Magic Seaweed, Windy.com, swellinfo, surf-forecast.com, willy weather, etc.  There are lots of good ones, and everyone has their own way of making sense of it all.   :smt006

OLDMANRIVER

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2017
2019 Hobie Outback - Seagrass
2019 Hobie Outback - Papaya

Sakana Seeker

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
Use the search function... there are lots of posts on this.  Magic Seaweed, Windy.com, swellinfo, surf-forecast.com, willy weather, etc.  There are lots of good ones, and everyone has their own way of making sense of it all.   :smt006

Agree, I have a few different sources to compare and use to formulate an image of what conditions might be like. Keep in mind swells originate from further away and are based on ocean buoy readings, and given how waves travel through media, are somewhat more reliable of a forecast than winds, which are a more local phenomena and subject to more uncertainty the further out you are.
IG: @sakana_seeker

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

Redbobber1498

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2018
Thanks for the info.

Madraz

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2018
Windy, Magic Seaweed and Swellinfo. However Swellinfo and Magic can often seem not on the same page
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 06:42:34 PM by Madraz »

Scurvy

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2015
I'm an off and on avid windsurfer and sailor and have been paying attention to exactly what you're inquiring about for 30 years.  The app I use is free or cheap and I find it is spot-on and includes tidal data for the specific locations:  Windfinder Pro

If you have any doubts, ask Lost Anchovy or Darius because that's what I use when we fish together and that's where they get their intel from me  :smt002

bluekayak

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2005
Windy is good but whatever apps you use you should rely more on your eyeballs

Having all this info readily available is pretty new and a great thing but it has to be taken with a grain of salt

One example is if nasty weather is happening offshore but there’s no wind inside

Any current info you have from the apps is good but all of it is unpredictable as far as which way the weather will move

If you know there’s something going on offshore but it’s calm where you are you should bank on it moving in on top of you even if the forecast is for it to move south away from you Nothing more fun than being miles from a launch and having the ocean snap on you

Scurvy, do you know anything about reading current charts? I asked around with local sailing people and couldn’t find anybody who did

Scurvy

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2015
Scurvy, do you know anything about reading current charts? I asked around with local sailing people and couldn’t find anybody who did

I think I do, but I don’t have an up to date one in front of me.  The important thing to understand is that there are macro & micro currents like the Pacific Longshore Current or Gulf Stream versus local tidal currents that change every 6 hours or so.