Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 10, 2024, 03:46:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 03:45:33 PM]

[Today at 03:43:02 PM]

[Today at 03:30:47 PM]

[Today at 03:18:30 PM]

by capo
[Today at 12:49:47 PM]

[Today at 03:36:08 AM]

[May 09, 2024, 01:04:03 PM]

[May 09, 2024, 10:15:40 AM]

[May 09, 2024, 08:12:28 AM]

[May 09, 2024, 07:35:53 AM]

[May 09, 2024, 06:46:52 AM]

[May 08, 2024, 04:58:49 PM]

[May 08, 2024, 12:29:15 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 06:30:10 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 05:11:37 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 02:59:57 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Understanding Wind Conditions San Francisco Bay - Kayak Fishing  (Read 3421 times)

Lost_Anchovy

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile The Lost Anchovy
  • Date Registered: Mar 2008
Here is an article i wrote to help keep us all a little safer. Once again, these articles are based on my own experiences and subject to what i have experienced through the years. Take it as you like. --TLA

UNDERSTANDING WIND CONDITIONS SAN FRANCISCO BAY KAYAK FISHING
Written by The Lost Anchovy 5.13.2019

Full article here: https://thelostanchovy.com/understanding-wind-conditions-san-francisco-bay-kayak-fishing/

Introduction

The San Francisco Bay area is one of the most ecologically diverse places in all of California and a jewel for Bay Area Kayak Anglers. However, like most things, the more beautiful it is, the more dangerous it can be — beware.

I hope everyone who reads my blog take the time to read this article and my other safety post. I write these articles to empower you with knowledge so you can stay safe, have fun and catch fish.

Below are three popular locations to kayak fish in the bay and the typical wind patterns that flow around them. Let’s get started.

Oyster Point:

Understanding the wind conditions around Oyster Point is important to staying safe. On most days, during the spring and summer months, oyster point will have lake like conditions when the right factors align. -- Don’t be fooled.

Oyster point can be down right dangerous when the wind conditions turn on. Typically, the wind will let you know before the fan turns on.  Be extremely mindful of the light breeze, as the fan usually follows it.

The wind off Oyster point blows offshore, meaning the wind will take you away from the launch.  Take heed of this when you are kayaking this area.  Being far off shore when the fan turns on is a recipe for disaster.

TIP: If the wind has not started to blow, I will stay near shore, around the markers, starting around 1pm. The wind around Oyster Point will usually pick up around this time.

Alameda Rock Wall
ARW or the Alameda Rock Wall is another popular location for spring and summer halibut and striper fishing. The wind at ARW will typically blow from San Francisco towards Oakland. I consider this a downward wind.

This is important consider when fishing near the second wall.  If you have an incoming tide and a downward wind ride it back to the launch site. If the wind and tide become too much, consider escaping from the wind by paddling on the inside of the wall. (See diagram below)

Berkley Flats
Of all the kayak fishing locations in the bay I consider Berkeley one of the most dangerous places. IMHO. Why? Unlike ARW or Oyster point, there are no natural barriers, besides TI and Alcatraz Island, that block the wind coming through the gate.

In simpler terms this means you will get the wind head on.  Expect lots of white caps and wind waves when the fan turns on.  This can be become very dangerous when flat conditions turn into dangerous ones.

Using the wind to your advantage
Although the wind can be make conditions rough, uncomfortable and potentially dangerous, it can also be used to your advantage. Depending on the tides, I will ride an outgoing tide to fish the Berkeley flats and TI area. When the wind turns on, and the incoming tide begins, I will ride the wind and tide back to the Berkeley.  Often, I will hook up with a few fish along the way.

Conclusion
There are lots of safety factors to consider when Kayak Fishing but I believe wind, tides, and swells are the most important ones to be knowledgeable about before venturing into the ocean or bays. Although these wind patterns are typical be ready to adjust should conditions change. I hope this article helps you to stay on top of the wind factor in the bay.  Good luck and tight lines --TLA

www.Thelostanchovy.com
Kayak Adventures, blog and tutorials

Winner - 2014 Kayak Connection Derby
2nd -2103 MBK Tournament

exhibita

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2010
Great info - Thanks!

scottymeboy

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2013
Thanks Keith!
Your articles are always appreciated
2014 Crabfest - 1st Place -Rock Crab Division
2014 Fall Classic - 1st Place

2019 Hobie Outback
2014 RTM Abaco 420

ReelKnots

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Sea Lion
  • Never leave FISH to find FISH.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
Good stuff Keith!!

-Kiel
1st Place ARW Handline Tournament 2024
1st Place ARW King Of The Wall 2019
1st Place - Albion Open 2009
OK Trident 13 ( My Trophy )
495 Stealth Evolution
Hobie Revo 13

In Loving Memory of Joel " Mooch " Lotilla.

Lost_Anchovy

• Sea Lion
Good stuff Keith!!

-Kiel

Thanks King Kiel! Oh...that has a nice ring huh?  "King Kiel" ---> Until you get dethroned. Not bad.  :salut: :salut: :salut: :salut: :salut: :salut: :salut: :king:
www.Thelostanchovy.com

2nd -2103 MBK Tournament

ReelKnots

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Sea Lion
  • Never leave FISH to find FISH.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
Good stuff Keith!!

-Kiel

Thanks King Kiel! Oh...that has a nice ring huh?  "King Kiel" ---> Until you get dethroned. Not bad.  :salut: :salut: :salut: :salut: :salut: :salut: :salut: :king:

:smt005 ......Nah ah!!! you da man Keith!!!  :smt002

-Kiel
1st Place ARW Handline Tournament 2024
1st Place ARW King Of The Wall 2019
1st Place - Albion Open 2009
OK Trident 13 ( My Trophy )
495 Stealth Evolution
Hobie Revo 13

In Loving Memory of Joel " Mooch " Lotilla.

chuckfish

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
Great info for me as I have yet to venture into the bay but plan on it soon. Plus, this gives me another post..😁

Hunt4fish

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2019
I know this is an older post, but it's great this is out there. I windsurfed all over the bay for about a decade and this is spot on. Spelling it out for people has probably saved quite a few newcomers from learning the hard way. You can't underestimate the wind in SF Bay!

Dale L

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2005
I would only add one thing, you covered it but I'd stress that the wind over the bay can go from calm to dangerous in the space of a few minutes, BTDT.  Depending on your level of experience, head for shore the minute the wind changes.  You can always re-think it from closer to the launch,

Lost_Anchovy

• Sea Lion
Moo and I recently fished paradise and the wind there got pretty bad. It pushed us offshore and I had to work pretty hard to get back. I'm not sure the wind pattern at paradise so I didn't list it but I think it's an offshore wind too. (Meaning it blows you away from land.)
www.Thelostanchovy.com

2nd -2103 MBK Tournament

Baron

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013
Moo and I recently fished paradise and the wind there got pretty bad. It pushed us offshore and I had to work pretty hard to get back. I'm not sure the wind pattern at paradise so I didn't list it but I think it's an offshore wind too. (Meaning it blows you away from land.)
This is true, it usually blows you away from shore. But if you hangout closer to the pier the hills give a good break from the wind

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Work is for people who don't know how to fish

sonomian

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2018
Oyster point can be down right dangerous when the wind conditions turn on. Typically, the wind will let you know before the fan turns on.  Be extremely mindful of the light breeze, as the fan usually follows it.  quote from TLA
You are absolutely right Keith about the OP.  Thank you for the great info. I always stay close to shoreline after I  feels that light breeze.

Eric B

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
Great info.

Another tip for ARW if you’re fishing east of the launch and the wind kicks up, easiest to come back around thru Ballena Bay.  It’s a pleasant paddle.

Lost_Anchovy

• Sea Lion
Great info.

Another tip for ARW if you’re fishing east of the launch and the wind kicks up, easiest to come back around thru Ballena Bay.  It’s a pleasant paddle.

Thanks for the extra tip. Maybe i should update the article and put paradise on there?
www.Thelostanchovy.com

2nd -2103 MBK Tournament

Rui

• Rui
  • Salmon
  • Rui
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2017
Hi TLA, I saw you held your paddle last year at ARW when the fan turns on. Did you do that to balance your kayak?