Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:49:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:17:00 AM]

[Today at 08:02:19 AM]

[Today at 05:07:22 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Nutty Kayakfishing Clip on You Tube!  (Read 9512 times)

FisHunter

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Manatee
  • Mooch Taught Me How To Live Life
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2006
Welcome BWJ,......Hugs&Kisses to all who participated in this debate!  :smt056

Damn Adam, now you're starting to sound like a 3rd grader ...  :smt050

Come on ... where's that Raider Nation tough love.

-Allen
I'm just a NICE GUY, Allen....now cut the guy some slack and give him a "welcome shout-out"    :smt109
DUDE!  if he'll take me out to catch something BIG, i'll have mommy stick a note on me and send me down to his 3rd grade class. :smt047   and those were the BEST (pre)angling days in memory. 
Be Safe, Not Sorry = B'ropeUpFool!

Winner of nothing but goodtimes with good friends.

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Quote from: FisHunter link=topic=10235.msg93038#msg93038
I'm just a NICE GUY, Allen....now cut the guy some slack and give him a "welcome shout-out"    :smt109
[/quote

Ah hell, where's my manners.  Welcome BWJ.  Any tips for fishing the Big Island?  I'll be heading there over Thanksgiving ... http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php/topic,9974.0.html

-Allen

FisHunter

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Manatee
  • Mooch Taught Me How To Live Life
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2006
now don't you feel "better"?
Be Safe, Not Sorry = B'ropeUpFool!

Winner of nothing but goodtimes with good friends.

polepole

• Administrator

Ah hell, where are my manners?  Welcome BWJ.  Any tips for fishing the Big Island?  I'll be heading there over Thanksgiving ... http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php/topic,9974.0.html

-Allen
[/quote]

Bluewater Jon

Allen, if you will be on the Big island, I do have some experience there. That is a wild place. I mean, where else can you hook into 800 pound tiger sharks and 65 pound uluas at the harbor mouth, ten yards from the jetty? (No joke there either!) When I fish there, I always bring my shark shield. This may sound a bit sensational, but if you fish enough there, you will know why. So I assume you'll be fishing and you already know where you are staying. I can tell you where to rent a yak if you need a rental, that would be Kona Boys. Lemme know if you want more info on that. There are several places that I would recommend launching from. They have these Wal Marts there, for better or for worse, that are crazy stocked with fishing gear, so if you are like me and you think even for a day or two you need to pack every li'l thing, you don't. I mean like they sell unlimited guage tackle, you know, for the grander marlins there, at Wal Mart..! And Penn 130' s and all that stuff. I don't know how long you will be there and what kind of stuff you plan to do on the water. I certainly don't have it all wired but I sure have had a lot of luck there, and I feel more knowledgeable fishing there than I do here in San Diego. Another wild thing, among the many, about there is the insanely low cost of fresh high grade ahi for sushi. You can go into the local markets there, right, like Safeway or Vons, except they are called KTA, and buy a thick 7x1x3" slab of ahi, sometimes caught that am, for like 6-7 bucks. Don't worry about the bait situation there, go to KTA and get fresh dead opelu. Well anyway before I start rambling lemme know if you want to hear more, or what in specific might be of any interest or help to you.
Tx,
Jon Schwartz

Danglin

• Sea Lion
  • Accept Yourself, So Shall The World ...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2006

Welcome aboard BlueWater Jon :smt006,

Glad your here and what you do,

Keep up the Good Work ........... Danglin

« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 10:11:38 PM by Danglin »
There are 3 Types of people in the world,,,

The Sheep, The Sheep Dog & The Wolf,

Which are You ,,,

2006 NCKA Shark Fishing Tournament Champion    
2nd Moutcha Bay, BC. 2006 "Tyee" Surfing Contest
ELK 07  1st Place Loser
HMB 09 3rd Place
HMB 09 Sardine Champion
2009-2016 Northern California HOW Coordinator

Love Baja…  :smt055

Bluewater Jon

Tx Danglin
Jon
Oh there was a question re: North County launches. Cardiff Reef is excellent. La Jolla is like surfing Steamer's Lane- not many people who fish a lot go there during the weekend, cuz it's too crowded. Well I should ammend that to,  if you can, you'd rather be there on a weekday. Cardiff, on the other hand, you're less likely to get hooked up to a big fish, but you get more solitude and beauty in my opinion. It's also a really good surf spot but you know, ya just time it between sets and all that and stow everything. Man I used to sit out there and tie off onto a kelp stringer and pothole for bass all day. There are good gamefish there though, I've landed yellows there, and when you do, you're ten times as stoked. The kelp is also very close to shore there, for at LJ you must paddle out maybe 3/4 of a mile, not a biggy at all, but compared to Carfiff, the kelp is like 200 yards off or less. Other launches, that's actually all I have done, except for mess around right in front of my house off of Tamarack. There is a canyon out there and threshers but I haven't landed one there yet. Maybe if my kids were all boys dying for dad to take them out I would be out more but my girls aren't super stoked, they'd rather just play, so I save up most of my fishing time brownie points for solo daddy trips to Hawaii or Baja where I can scratch the itch w/o any other care in the world.

polepole

• Administrator
Well anyway before I start rambling lemme know if you want to hear more, or what in specific might be of any interest or help to you.

Ramble away.  Target species?  Rigging?  Technique?  Location?

-Allen

ganoderma

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2006
I'm interested to hear about Big Island launching spots. On the east side, I assume Pohoiki (Isaac Hale Park) is the best. How about the Kona side?
- Ganoderma

Santa Cruz

Frankfishing

Bluewater Jon,
Way to stick with it and not recoil away from the initial comments of this post. Sales pros know that rejection is part of the JOB but with every 20 No's you'll get your product into more and more hands. Looks to me like you did your job by standing firm which also shows your probably someone I would love to fish with.... but then again I am a fishing wh@#$.
The dialog here just shows how this site works-"oops"-"sorry" followed by "no big deal" is why I keep coming back and fishing with these jokers. This is a site that always seems to show the better side of people. Those who can't break through usually don't last because when all is said and done we really love what we do out on the water.
Welcome aboard Jon and if your ever in my area give me a shout I would love to hook up with you. Gotta love this sport, Frankfishing

PS: By the way third grade teacher I spell checked before posting :smt044

Bluewater Jon

Target species?  Rigging?  Technique?  Location?
Ok here it is. First, contact Steven Heusser, he lives there and knows whatsup big time. Contact me for his info. Two basic approaches, topwater trolling with fresh dead opelu that you buy at KTA as soon as you get your gear in your hotel room. Double hook it, with a thin wire leader, your stinger hook should be half way back into the bait. I like a circle in the front, and a j in the back. Unless you tie enough leaders prior to launch, bring knottable wire leader out with you, you can tie more out there when the wahoos and sharks bite you off and so forth or otherwise lose a rig. Topwater trolling may net you mahi and ono, maybe barracuda, or sharks, though the latter is more likely to be found at mid water column. It gets deep super quick there. As a rule every 100 feet from shore is 100 feet deep, sometime way more deep than than. You can be trolling 30 yards from shore in 300 feet! So of course it's the bait onto the double hook rig, maybe 24" of wire leader (or 10 inches, your choice, your rate of hookup will change and so will your bite off rate).
     At the end of the leader you'll want a ball bearing swivel, and then it's 40 # line. Don't go any smaller than that. I have landed some fish upwards of 60 with 30# original P-line and a TLD 15, so yeah you can fish light, but don't count on enough cranking power should it be a big fish or go deep, gotta be lucky. Better off with a TLD 20 with braid, 80#, maybe with a 50 yard topshot. Rods, in the 30-50 pound class. Rent your yak from Kona Boys, look them up on the net, talk to Frank there. get something with flushmount rod holders.

To target amberjack and giant trevally (kahala and ulua over there), you will be dropping down baits. Big trick? Get those 2oz torpedo sinkers and stick them down the gullet of your bait so that it will drop at the same rate as your sinker, otherwise it will helicopter. Steven Heusser taught me this. You will need 6-8oz of sinker to get the bait down. I fly my olive sinkers over before I go as they are too heavy to take in my gear, though you can buy ok ones at Wal mart there, they're not olive though, they look like, uh, bowling pins but will suffice. Now, slowly drop baits down and drift or slow troll. Oh yeah bring your portable FF over there, plus, but a cooler at Wal Mart that will fit in your tank well.
     Do not have your baits all over the place dripping, you will attract big sharks, like tiger sharks, and they can/will harass you to the point where you can either not make it back unless you have protection, or not make it back at all, or swear off the sport. I'm not exaggerating. Two guys did the latter there, one of who was a super hard core big game yakking pioneer there who was also a leaderman and deckhand on tournament boats there targeting and leadering 1000 pound marlin for over 5 years. Talk to Tracy at Melton's Tackle- the other guy, he kept going in , "Yay, I landed a 30 pound amberjack", next day, "Yay, a 40 pound ulua"... well the next day the guy drops all his gear off outside the store and tells them they can have it, he swore off the sport after barely making it past a tiger that wanted him off his yak and kept ramming him. The place is weird because nobody targets sharks there, either because of the Hawaiian code of not messing with sharks, or because they are after gamefish, and sharks there are not regarded as such, even though they can get over, shoot, 1000 pounds there...close to shore. 
      I have had several experiences with tigers, and if you want to read about them in detail you can go to www.bluewaterjon.com and check out the stories section. Now, people of course swim there, surf there, and kayak there and do not get gobbled, so why might a yakker get messed with? Answer IMO is that you have a bait scent on/near you, or worse, trailing it from you (that's why you use a hard cooler!), and also, you are not cruising around all the time. I believe that the sharks have better things to do than hunt you down, but if you are slow trolling or stopping and starting in fishy areas, they are naturally curious, and unlike dogs, cannot come up and sniff your crotch and decide to leave you alone after a once over, so they mess with you.
     For example, at or inside the harbor they are sometimes seen snapping at palm fronds that are floating on the surface. Back to fishing... drop baits down slowly to avoid helicoptering, and slow troll or drift in fishy areas. Where is that? Talk to Steve about the spots, but I like to launch out of Honokohau Harbor, Keaohou (sp?), and another spot rather south whose name escapes me. At 240 feet you will be in wahoo territory, and past that, tuna, marlin, sails, mahi, sharks. Ulua I've found can be anywhere, just not on the surface.  Another thing about sharks- don't hang out after you caught something, leave, and be ready for a shark to appear when you are on a fish. If you want to release a fish keep an eye out if you need to mess with it for an extended period of time. I always have my shark shield with me, and on, especially if I am near the harbor, trailing blood, reviving a fish, or reeling one up- only sharks can sense the charge they give off- sharks and you (if you get really close to it or touch it).
     Kayakfishing is not all the rage there, some people do it but it is not so popular, so don't count on seeing anyone out there, or getting any courtesy from the powerboaters. Have your submersible VHF, cell phone, pfd, and oh yeah- spear. No joke. Go to Home Depot there, get a wood handle 4 feet long, get the biggest nail/spike you can find, they have these big fat nails that are probably used for railroad ties, and fasten that with duct tape to the end of the handle, and make a grip on it. Make sure it is sturdy. If you land a wahoo that is snapping at you, or get approached by a curious shark, you will want one of these. It feels good to have one. I used one of these to subdue a 111 pound yellowfin there.  The funny thing was, I did a lot of research on how to kill a tuna with a spear or similar tool, it all said, hit it once in this spot and you will stone it, and when it came down to it, I leadered the tuna to me and stabbed the poor thing continuously for several minutes, making swiss cheese of his head, and he barely blinked. If it wasn't for the blood loss he would've never stopped! Here's a frame grab from that battle:

Here is a still taken during the battle as well, you can see I had a gaff in his gill plate after awhile to hold him to me while he thrashed around like a bull, and I kept using the spear on him.

You'll have to excuse the promo lettering on the bottom pic, I happen to have that pic ready as is and don't have time to take that out in photoshop :smt003
     I know that you didn't need all of the info re: pfd and stuff, that's standard kayak stuff but I just wanted to cover myself in case someone who is new to the sport took this post as a how to over there, which it is not meant to be. If someone new to the sport (or not, right?) wants to fish over there, pm me and I will hook you up with Steven. I launch solo usually just cause when I go there I am on the water at 6:00 and stay all day on the water,  but I suggest going for shorter spells, with plenty of water in your cooler.
     Wear mud, not suntan lotion, unless you already have a tan, or at least gob on that 70 SPF stuff in the grey bottle with the blue top. Consider buying super long soccer-style socks that you can wear almost to your knees, and wear long trunks, because the sun is just brutal there, and I always use ankle length surfing booties. Ya never know when you will have to land on coral or lava. The wind, I guess like everywhere, picks up at 1:00 and dies at 5:30, usually. Stay close to your launch site and tread over the same area rather than going far, you might even have more success that way and if you have probs, or the current and or wind picks up, you're safer. Don't eat the amberjack and ulua there- in fact unless you have an ono (wahoo) or mahi or tuna, don't eat it; ciguaterra is a toxin that is in a lot of the fish there and you do not want to risk it, because you can get strange problems with your nervous system, like things that are cold will seem hot, and vice versa. Yeah you can buy a kit at the store to test it but what the heck, ya know? You can get the freshest fish ever there for a song at the markets so no point in risking your health.
     When I have time i will post some pics that go with this post, re: rigging, and even one or two re: the spear. If you do land a fish and it is beyond revival, you can give it to a local. They seem to know how to deal with the fish there, although I don't know how. They clean the fish in a special way but I have heard conflicting reports as to where the toxin lies and whether that would be an effective safeguard.
Bluewater Jon
www.bluewaterjon.com
Extreme Kayak Fishing Stories, Pics, and Video
« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 12:24:30 AM by Bluewater Jon »

ganoderma

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2006

I like to launch out of Honokohau Harbor, Keaohou (sp?), and another spot rather south whose name escapes me.
www.bluewaterjon.com
Extreme Kayak Fishing Stories, Pics, and Video

South of Keauhou, there are some areas that may now be marine preserves: Kealakekua Bay and Honaunau, for instance. Great places to snorkel and swim with dolphins, but I have never seen anybody fishing there. South of Honaunau, there is Hookena Beach. I have seen guys catching big Ulua from the shore there. Is that an area you have launched from? I have launched kayaks there before, but didn't fish there. South of there, you get to Milolii, which is a fishing village. Have you tried that area on a kayak?
- Ganoderma

Santa Cruz

Bushy

• Administrator
  • First, you do everything right.Then, you get lucky
  • View Profile http://theletsgofishingradioshow.com
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
whoa!

Quite a how-to.  I can't wait to try!  I assume you buy the parts and make the spear over there?  TSA would't pass that weapon, I think.

Great post, Jon thanks for the excitement this morning!

allen

SANTA CRUZ KAYAK FISHING Guide Service  2004
NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News

Bluewater Jon

Ganoderma, Yeah, the spot I was thinking about was Honaunau. To my knowlege the reserve is farther in, and you must paddle out past it, just like a lot of places, and that's what I did. I have never lucked out there but I know people who have. I haven't fished farther south than that. I would like to fish South Point, you know, the place where you can get your baits (fishing from the cliffs) out 1/4 mile so that you can land billfish from the beach!)Allen, no I brought the spear there! The first time of course I made it there but I am pretty sure I have brought a pre-made one over there. I always put it in my PVC 7'long 4"wide rod tube along with gaffs and such. They are mainly looking for dope and fruits I think, at least that's what Steven Heusser told me. Not only is he the go-to guy for guide advice on the Big Island, he also worked for the TSA at the airport in Kona for years ( but recently moved on to another job). Funny story though, I made the spear on Steven's advice. Well I was thinking, what else could be a good weapon against sharks and big tuna, and I spent a good hour trying out all sorts of evil looking garden tools with spikes on them there at Home Depot, including the pitchfork style things- but eventually settled on the spear idea due to Steven's rec. I was holding these garden instruments in my hand and sitting on the cement floor in Home Depot and trying them out, gesticulating menacingly with them and pretending to stab fish at my yakside- I'm sure I must have looked rather strange!
Bluewater Jon
Extreme Kayak Fishing Videos, Stories, and Pics
http://www.bluewaterjon.com/
« Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 04:04:47 PM by Bluewater Jon »

KZ

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile Kunz's Reel Rods
Jon... any reason why one of these wouldn't work better for dispatching large fish in Hawaii? 

http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php/topic,2611.0.html
2006 Elk Tourney Champion
2006 Angler of the Year 3rd Place

Kunz's Reel Rods
www.kzreelrods.com

Acts 10:13 And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.