Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:22:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:17:00 AM]

[Today at 08:02:19 AM]

[Today at 05:07:22 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Nutty Kayakfishing Clip on You Tube!  (Read 9512 times)

PAL

• Salmon
  • View Profile Kayak Fish magazine
  • Date Registered: Mar 2005
For what it's worth coming from another SoCal - do I count as "somebody" on the site? - I've known Jon for years. I've written about him a bunch of times in FishRap (it's a SoCal thing), WON, and even gave him some national pub in Canoe and Kayak, because he's an authentic nut (I mean that in the kindest way Jon). That childlike enthusiasm in his videos - it's real. This dude loves to fish, and the way he's wired, well... if I were an elementary school teacher, I think I'd have to bust loose now and then too.

Anyhow, I don't think it comes through on these postings, but Jon keeps quite a low profile on the boards. He's really not connected to the kayak fishing mainstream. I'm the one who told him, 'Hey Jon, I know a bunch of hardcore cases who'd get a kick out of your antics. Go check them out at NCKA.' BTW, this isn't a guy with a big head. If you've seen his DVD, you know he doesn't take himself too seriously.

I can also vouch for him as a stand-up dude. I know Jon mentioned his altruism here, and it got a collective yawn because he mentioned a small number, $250. Yeah, bad move, looked like he was on his high horse or something, spiced up with an inflated ego. BUT - this truly is a guy with a soft heart, who has been giving his all and then some to his students, the children of Marines who've been deployed time and again. There's no way to put a dollar value on the things I've seen him do, without publicity, because he wants to make the world a bit better for kids and families of those who put their lives on the line for our country. As a veteran, Jon has earned my everlasting respect. I'd hope any other vets here would give him the benefit of the doubt.

Paul
Read about kayak fishing: www.KayakFishMag.com

Ed

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2005
Jon, welcome aboard I read one of your articles a while back talking about Tuna, so I was excited when you started posting here.  Your article started me thinking of how and if to target different species from the kayak.  I really appreciated your ideas and found your discussion interesting.  The clip was pretty neat especially the underwater stuff.

Ed

Bluewater Jon

Wow, this really turned around. I was about to throw a hissy fit and crawl into a ditch and now it seems I've made some friends.  ABKing, tx for the kind reply.  Ed, tx for the welcome, and Paul, thanks for the kind words. Kinda choked me up, now I'm all verklempt :smt010.
Take care guys.

KZ

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile Kunz's Reel Rods
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
now I'm all verklempt :smt010.

Talk amongst ya-selfs...

Welcome Jon...

I liked the footage in your video clip... definitely has entertainment value.  Your passion for this sport definitely shows, and that's what this group is all about. 

Now... when you see guys post about fishing Baja or Hawaii, etc., feel free to chime in with some advise on gear, techniques, resources, etc.  That's where the rubber hits the road... and it'll help to shake off that spam stigma.

EK
2006 Elk Tourney Champion
2006 Angler of the Year 3rd Place

Kunz's Reel Rods
www.kzreelrods.com

Acts 10:13 And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.

Bushy

• Administrator
  • First, you do everything right.Then, you get lucky
  • View Profile http://theletsgofishingradioshow.com
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
Jon, put me on your friends list as well, please!

Any pal of PAL's............

Allen

SANTA CRUZ KAYAK FISHING Guide Service  2004
NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News

PISCEAN

• no kooks please!
  • Sea Lion
  • humming to the bear...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
I was a bit put off at first as well, but I held my posting because I think its due to my own issues not yours Jon. I think the vid is cool ( I watched it without sound-no speakers). I mean, the fish do most of the work for the camera, their colors & antics are great. Who that is into fish wouldn't be entertained by that? Nice work (to you & the fish)! The kids in your class that are into the sea etc., must be sooo stoked to have you as their teacher!
 My own view is that I'm more of a shore based, paddle-to-the-fish type of fisherman so these offshore big fish things don't capture my interest quite as much as other adventures that are more "accessible" to me, such as some of GWKC's vids. However, like I said these are my own views & I don't put them on you Jon. It's like how movies of giant Teahupo surf are cool, but I get more stoke seeing local CA longboarding & bodysurfing stuff. There's a place in the spectrum for all of it.
 Not to be too proud, but I do feel like of all the kayak fishing sites out there, NCKA does have it "going on", and hopefully your input will add to that & expand all of our thoughts & interest in pursuing & catching fish (large & small) from what are essentially glorified surfboards!
I'm glad to see this play out as it has. This is NCKA. Welcome Jon.
-Sean
pronounced "Pie-see-in"
"Every day is a fishing day, but not every day is a catching day"-Countryman
sponsored by: Piscean Artworks
Randomness rules the universe. Perseverance is the only path to success..but luck sometimes works too.

beenfishin

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2005
Nice to see things come full-circle.  I'm sure it's a blast to make the videos, keep 'em coming!
tight lines,
beenfishin

Usagi

• Sea Lion
  • The results of a negative WAF account...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2006
You don't quit playing because you get old, you get old because you quit playing...

Bluewater Jon

Hey guys. Funny thing is, I lived in Santa Cruz, and then the Peninsula area, and then SF, from 1988-2000. I started off at UCSC, then I was in the restaurant business, ( I had a restaurant in downtwon SCruz post earthquake until 95) then I started teaching in East Palo Alto, then Redwood City, and then left for San Diego with my wife once we saw that for the same amount that you could buy a 3br nondescript fixer upper 40 min away from any beach, you could get a new 3-4 br two blocks from the beach in North County SD.
     I guess the prices have levelled out now but we sure lucked out before they did. Initially I moved here to surf more also but I had to get shoulder surgery as soon as I got here from getting worked on a huge day at, shoot now I can barely remember any names any more, but the awesome point break just before 41st ave, just before Capitola.  Then when we moved down here I couldn't surf so I was looking for a new hobby and I got into surf fishing.
     Well my wife got tired of me coming home at 3am with a corbina or less 4 times a week and I heard that you could catch stuff on a surfboard, so I paddled out past the kelp and landed some things that I never saw before. Good thing I put them on my board,released them, and didn't touch them- they were sculpin! Paddling around with a rod in my teeth was kinda limiting though, and then I heard about yakking, and thought, maybe that would be fun. So that's how I got into yakking. I wish I could have done it while I was up there in NorCal. I worked in the CCC (California Conservation Corps) doing trailbuilding and stuff like that all up and down the coastal area near Santa Cruz, and always wondered what the fishing was like there at places like Manresa and Davenport and 4 mile. I've been out surfing at 4 mile alone in the early am with the fog where I just got really creeped out, you know, you get that weird 6th sense like your place in the food chain has just fallen several notches, and I wonder what it would be like to paddle around with a big bait like a live bonita bridled with a 12/0 there...
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 06:22:16 PM by Bluewater Jon »

Bushy

• Administrator
Pleasure Point

BTW, I was the proctor at kresge while you were at UCSC.

LOL

allen

NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News

Bluewater Jon

Allen, That is wild. Pleasure point, that's it. I don't entirely know what the proctor position is though. I remember seeing the sign for provost I think, near the Whole Earth restaurant.  I bet I would hardly recognize the campus now. Used to play gigs all around campus in bands.

Bushy

• Administrator
I was the guy shutting down the music at 1am.......

NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News

sackyak

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2006
What can I say, NCKA is a great group of Kayak fishers with what I consider a good sense of humor and the maturity to know when things may have gone to far and then make things right.  This is a great example of a self regulating process working as it should, a beautiful thing  :smt007 .  Just do not go overboard on the maturity issue or you may not let me play anymore  :smt005 .

Welcome BWJ, Where are the good launches in North County?  We mostly hear about La Jolla.
Etienne

FisHunter

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Manatee
  • Mooch Taught Me How To Live Life
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2006
Welcome BWJ,......Hugs&Kisses to all who participated in this debate!  :smt056
Be Safe, Not Sorry = B'ropeUpFool!

Winner of nothing but goodtimes with good friends.

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Welcome BWJ,......Hugs&Kisses to all who participated in this debate!  :smt056

Damn Adam, now you're starting to sound like a 3rd grader ...  :smt050

Come on ... where's that Raider Nation tough love.

-Allen