Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:04:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 02:58:59 PM]

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:49:33 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Bad news for PIF...  (Read 10175 times)

yakyakyak

• Sea Lion
  • Huh? What?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016

I think there is no doubt that all of us support you and your family, Jim!  Make sure you are not footing the bill, all the time and effort you put into this are already worth more than what is owed to IRS (so don't feel bad).  I would say the next batch of $$ should be spent on making sure PIF can operate the way it is as much as it can (i.e. accountant advice, etc).   History says this is a good thing and the community supports this long term.

2019 Hobie Outback
2017 Hobie Adventure Island
2016 Santa Cruz Raptor G2 - Surf/stability champ!
2015 Hobie Revolution 16 - Speedster
2016 NuCanoe Frontier 12 - Extra stable with crazy load capability

-----------------
FOR SALE
-----------------

Rods and Reels: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=88549.0 (Shimanos, Casting/Spinning Rods + Reels

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
It’s a tough spot for sure. This is only an issue because we hit the #s that trigger an automatic filing with paypal (200 transactions OR $20k). We can never exceed those triggers again (with any 1 specific paypal acct) or they will file again for FY18, for example.

This leaves us with a handful of options, for how to proceed. Here’s a few of the options we’re considering:
-create a second paypal acct that we switch to if/when we get close to the #s that trigger autumatic filing (we’d only have to update the embed code for the PIF or AOTY/DOTY button)
-cash only, leave paypal out of it completely (which would probably result in less donations)
-file paperwork & pay fees to become a recognized nonprofit (but that requires people to agree on stuff and we’d have to file taxes every year)
-shut it down (it’s been a good run!)

Just because Paypal triggers aren't met, doesn't mean taxes shouldn't still be filed.  I would avoid discussion of possible tax evasion strategies in a public forum like this.

I also just finished taxes.  Running AOTY/DOTY sites is putting significant strain on our NCKA/NWKA server, causing us to have to pay for upgraded services.  At the same time, ad revenue is at an all time low.  We recorded a loss on the year, for the first time ever.  We should have discussions on what it is going to take to keep AOTY/DOTY running for next year.

This message will self destruct in ...

-Allen

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
Any CPA should be able to advise you on how to avoid the situation again in the future and still be able to manage an account that gives you a net zero profit.
I bet it has cost you plenty of your own resources to operate the account.  The very computer you managed the account, the internet services, etc.  Aren't all those deductible against the gross?

Maybe for this year, itemizing the expenses against the contributions would offset the increase that triggered the tax?  I don't know.  I just feel bad that there are  tons of loopholes designed to keep lawyers in business in order to even do a good deed anymore. 
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 03:51:54 PM by Ski Pro 3 -- Jerry »

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
I was already planning to ‘archive’ any indicting info after the discussion concludes :-)
But yes, we should probably have some discussions about the future of AOTY/DOTY (committee plus you & brian).
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

wormguy

• The trouble with the rat race is that even if you win, you're still a rat
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2012
Is there a new plan?
Native Slayer Propel 13
Hobie Revolution 11

Hojoman

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
Collect contributions/donations via personal check or money order.

Mojo Jojo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2016
Collect contributions/donations via personal check or money order.
Cash works better, that is if they still print it?

2013 Jackson Big Tuna.........Ours
2011 Native Mariner Propel 12.5...His
2015 Native Slayer Propel 13.......Hers
20?? Emotion ,Sparky.....7 yr old grandson's
Event Coordinator
Heroes On the Water
North Oregon Coast Chapter
Team C.O.D. FISHING (Crazy Old Dudes)just for forum fun challenges

bmb

• Please unsubscribe me from the
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Is there a new plan?
For AOTY?  Someone will take it over.  Most likely we'll make one of the youngins' do it.  For PIF they'll continue to do what they did last year, benefits going directly to the individual.

Midwest

• AOTY Commitee 2018
  • Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2011
Thanks Jim, your awesome for doing as much as you have. It’s not a bad thing we’ve become to big and are able to now raise a good amount of money to help others plus use up all of Poles internet data ;).
   Seems the time has come to make these taxable if we want to continue. I’m always happy to help just not with the tax stuff  :smt003

Licensed Fishing Guide since 2015 
Hobie Fishing Team 
Pacific Outfitters Fishing Team
Follow Me @Kayakfishsonoma

TheKeeneroo

• Salmon
  • Eric
  • View Profile FIN + FORAGE
  • Date Registered: Feb 2018
I participated in PIF and DOTY for the first time this year. I've learned a huge amount from this group. While I won't be diving nearly as much next year due to Baby Bella's arrival in early Feb., I'd be more than happy to discuss how I might be able to help with events moving forward. I have experience and success in event planning, fund raising and marketing. My free time is up in the air as we're new parents with no idea what to expect (other than a lack of sleep) but keep me in mind to help with stuff as needed.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward

There's definitely a fish under THIS rock....

Eric, Pacific Grove
Instagram - @thekeeneroo
Facebook - @Ekeener1
Level 1 Free Dive Cert, EANx
FIN + FORAGE - Founder                  www.finandforage.com

SteveS doesn't kayak anymore

• grumpy ex-kayaker
  • Sea Lion
  • winter sturgeon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
Jim,

Check your PM

My wife is tax account and works for a CPA firm here in marin. I showed her this, and then the principal. The gifts you reviewed and are recorded on the 1099 are deductible, since they're gifts. Irrespective of the 1099.

screebo

• Sand Dab
  • I can tune a fish 🎣
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2018
Jim,

Check your PM

My wife is tax account and works for a CPA firm here in marin. I showed her this, and then the principal. The gifts you reviewed and are recorded on the 1099 are deductible, since they're gifts. Irrespective of the 1099.
Nice catch, Steve! Kudos: Steve’s wife.  Team work! 😁👍
-John

CA Lifer License
2019 Hobie Outback

BigJim

• A-Hull
  • Manatee
  • No white flags.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
Thanks for all the info Steve!

Unfortunately, we already paid the tax bill back in April.

The only $$ left in the account is $$ that was generated via AOTY/DOTY reg fees and will be spent on prizes.

We did not use the PayPal account for this year's PIF event and instead gave all $$ raised directly to Shicken.

I agree that a non-profit is the way to go and maybe one day in the future that will happen...

Thanks again!

:smt006

Sincerely,

Jim

~GS4  2010-1st~
~DOTY 2013-1st~
~T2B2 2015-1st~
*DOTY: 2012-5th~2014-5th~2015-4th~2016-7th~2017-4th~2018-5th~2019-5th~2020-2nd*

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007

The only $$ left in the account is $$ that was generated via AOTY/DOTY reg fees and will be spent on prizes.

We did not use the PayPal account for this year's PIF event and instead gave all $$ raised directly to Shicken.

I agree that a non-profit is the way to go and maybe one day in the future that will happen...

Thanks again!

Sincerely,

Jim

You can file an amended return and get a refund.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

Bulldog---Alex

• Sea Lion
  • 27.4 lb Cali Hali
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2006

Thanks again!

Sincerely,

Jim

You can file an amended return and get a refund.

Ya, but then they will audit him and he wont be able to produce that 3,500.00 in receipts for all his home upgrades.  :smt005
Enjoying the fam
PA14
Revo 13
Hobie Outback