Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:04:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:24:53 AM]

[Today at 07:23:39 AM]

[Today at 07:16:05 AM]

[Today at 07:13:27 AM]

[Today at 04:15:52 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 09:45:12 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 08:39:39 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 04:31:01 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 11:46:31 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 10:38:46 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 10:16:10 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 06:30:45 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:23:34 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 12:06:38 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: electric motor suggestions  (Read 3601 times)

kokoloco

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
I have a 2013 Hobie Outback.  I'm interested in putting an electric motor on it.  What are some suggstions as to what motor/battery to use and any other insight into what modifications provide the best results.  Thanks for any help.

Sam
« Last Edit: January 30, 2023, 01:19:48 PM by kokoloco »
Emperor of the World

123engineering

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2017
I have been using Bixpy Jet and you can see the details below:

Paul
Paul C.

YouTube: Kayak Fishing Couple
2018 Hobie Oasis Papaya & Grey
2022 Hobie Outback Papaya
2017 Hobie Outback Camo Sold
2014 Hobie Revolution 13 Red - Sold
CVN-72 Abraham Lincoln
2013 & 2019 Subaru Outback White

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
If you're on a budget,  you can modify and install a trolling motor that fits into the Mirrage drive operating.  I can post a picture tomorrow if you are interested.
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

JMcKroid

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2018
That looks sweet! My buddy did a side mount using Aluminum similar to YouTuber Kayaker in KeyWests for his Torqeedo. Being able to pedal with motor assistance is the best, but it is harder to make turns in the direction opposite the engine's side. It is the best choice as it allows the best motor access while offshore.   You can also use 1-1/2" PVC pipe in the rod holder if you heat PVC with a heat gun.  There are some youtube videos of people doing that to get a tighter fit for rod holders.  If you mount the motor deeper in the water, it will have less chance for cavitation, but I think the increased drag will offset the benefit.  That was my conclusion using the gas Suzuki 20" verses 15" 2.5 HP. 

ThreemoneyJ

• Sea Lion
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2014
I don’t know anything about them, but was intrigued by the motor that goes on/into the Hobie guardian plate. For the older outback they have one that is rudder mounted.

https://texaspowerpaddle.com/
-John
Angler Of The Year is currently free!!
NCKA Angler of the year (AOTY)link http://aoty.norcalkayakanglers.com/
NCKA AOTY how to link https://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=62574.0
Send me a message if you want to be signed up for AOTY

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
How loud are the bixpeys in the water?  Saw a torqueedo video and the thing was kind of annoyingly loud.
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

123engineering

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
How loud are the bixpeys in the water?  Saw a torqueedo video and the thing was kind of annoyingly loud.

I have not measured the noise level, but the noise hasn't bothered my wife or me.
I could measure with my decimal meter for accurate measurement, but it might be better for you to witness one being used.
We have been using Bixpy for over three years using several installation methods, including a Mirage drive insert, side mount, and rudder mount.
We can hear the motor spinning and tell if there is any issue with the motor, typically debris getting caught.
You should contact the manufacturer directly if you want more accurate measurements.

Paul

Paul C.

CVN-72 Abraham Lincoln

kokoloco

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
Looks like some good ideas here. Has anyone ever tried the Watersnake?  I saw a YouTube video of using the Hobie drive plug to mount it in the drive slot.  Any other suggestions as to battery type or amps?  Thanks again for the responses.

Sam
Emperor of the World

SpeedyStein

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2020
We have been using Bixpy for over three years using several installation methods, including a Mirage drive insert, side mount, and rudder mount.

Paul

Hey Paul, what is your preferred installation, and on which hull?  I have a non-Hobie tandem I've been thinking of motorizing, definitely interested to hear from someone who has tried different methods.  I figure side mount is probably easiest to rig - sort out a bracket and clamp on the motor and off to the races.  But if rudder mount or through the drive hole is better for fishing, maybe I should focus/plan on that instead? 
- Kevin

123engineering

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile

Paul

Hey Paul, what is your preferred installation, and on which hull?  I have a non-Hobie tandem I've been thinking of motorizing, definitely interested to hear from someone who has tried different methods.  I figure side mount is probably easiest to rig - sort out a bracket and clamp on the motor and off to the races.  But if rudder mount or through the drive hole is better for fishing, maybe I should focus/plan on that instead?

My video explains pros and cons of different options:

Paul
Paul C.

CVN-72 Abraham Lincoln

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Looks like some good ideas here. Has anyone ever tried the Watersnake?  I saw a YouTube video of using the Hobie drive plug to mount it in the drive slot.  Any other suggestions as to battery type or amps?  Thanks again for the responses.

Sam
I would recommend th Lithium Ion type battery over the marine type as it's lightweight and more advanced.   The capacity is dependent on your motor power rating.  I have a 100AH battery for my 50lb thrust motor.
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

Rock Hopper

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Global Moderator
  • A-Hull Muggle
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2005
Check out my boy Savage_Hooksetters if you have IG. He has a sick motor set-up.

In Loving Memory of Mooch, Eelmaster, Shicken, and Cabeza De Martillo

I started kayak fishing to get away from most of you...

SpeedyStein

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2020

Paul

My video explains pros and cons of different options

Paul

Good info there, thanks for posting that! I was thinking about a rudder mount, but hadn't considered the debris\snag hazard. I think that confirms that if I motorized my big tandem party barge, will go with a side nount. Thanks again!
- Kevin

Mark L

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2017
I have a Torqeedo mounted on the back of a Eddyline. I just want to mention that no matter how hard I try not to catch the motor it happens too often. Once snagged you have to shut off, or the shaft seal will be ruined. The only way to clear it is to paddle back in, or jump in. The last time at HMB I caught it again and opted to jump in and clear it. Once at Albion I paddled in after snagging, and when I pulled the line in there was a nice sized rock fish on the lure.

So I recommend mounting a motor where it can be accessed while out on the water.
2018 Eddyline Yellow Caribbean 14 Angler

yakyakyak

• Sea Lion
  • Huh? What?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016

Mount it on the side and make sure your yak have enough stability or practice so you can clear line easily.  Stability is not an issue with 2019+ Outback, see below for mounting.

http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=97365.0

2019 Hobie Outback
2017 Hobie Adventure Island
2016 Santa Cruz Raptor G2 - Surf/stability champ!
2015 Hobie Revolution 16 - Speedster
2016 NuCanoe Frontier 12 - Extra stable with crazy load capability

-----------------
FOR SALE
-----------------

Rods and Reels: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=88549.0 (Shimanos, Casting/Spinning Rods + Reels

anything