Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 12:52:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 12:20:36 AM]

[April 19, 2024, 11:38:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 11:16:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 10:54:38 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 10:40:43 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 10:23:17 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 09:27:37 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 06:46:00 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 06:45:26 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 06:45:01 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 04:51:41 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 02:40:25 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 10:38:26 AM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:08:50 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:26:01 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:53:15 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 02:15:59 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 01:10:11 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 11:10:06 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:46:32 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:43:09 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:32:03 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: BAITSHARK Kayak Bait Bucket?  (Read 6089 times)

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2020
I have a baitshark and I like it. Very little drag is the main draw. 
Negatives are:
- 3D printed body is a kinda fragile
- Intake on the larger size will let 'chovies escape but easy to fix with a little mesh.
  I think a frabil on a float board would work pretty much the same, just need to keep enough water in the bucket.
    Frabil is nice because you can bring it on board filled with water, and the tube build on youtube has plenty of flow and little drag.  Baitshark does both of these pretty well. I can send you photos of the BS if you're trying to recreate it.
Slate Hobie Compass

2023 MBK 1st place

123engineering

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2017
Negatives are:
- Intake on the larger size will let 'chovies escape but easy to fix with a little mesh.
  I think a frabil on a float board would work pretty much the same, just need to keep enough water in the bucket.
    Frabil is nice because you can bring it on board filled with water, and the tube build on youtube has plenty of flow and little drag.  Baitshark does both of these pretty well. I can send you photos of the BS if you're trying to recreate it.

Detail photos will be great.

I want to make/purchase and compare the following three options:

1. 4" Dia. Black ABS DWV Pipe Bait Tube
2.  Frabil mounted on a kickboard
3. 5.5 QT BAITSHARK

I will let you know the pros and cons of each option.

Paul
Paul C.

YouTube: Kayak Fishing Couple
2018 Hobie Oasis Papaya & Grey
2022 Hobie Outback Papaya
2017 Hobie Outback Camo Sold
2014 Hobie Revolution 13 Red - Sold
CVN-72 Abraham Lincoln
2013 & 2019 Subaru Outback White

chopper

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2012
I picked up a bait tube from these guys and am happy with it -- pulls pretty easily in the water and it kept my macks alive all day down in La Jolla. I haven't used it with anchovies or other live bait up here yet.

https://torpedobaitbuckets.com/

Cheers,
Brad

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2022
Hi Paul,
I am interested in what you find..... I have a 4" tube model (diy) and have ordered a 6 qt frabill and will probably do a diy shark type but I think you may beat me to it.
Love the vids you do.... I have done the jb weld for bow and stern and it works very well..... may now do the sides gunnels as they have amassed a bunch of deep gouges and scrapes.  Also the bixpy mount vid helped me a bunch and is now my go to bixpy mount.... also did the drive plate mount but is a lot of hassle taking it in and out and I like the pedal and motor option at the same time.

Hope to fish with you again soon.

Troy

JMcKroid

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2018
I picked up a bait tube from these guys and am happy with it -- pulls pretty easily in the water and it kept my macks alive all day down in La Jolla. I haven't used it with anchovies or other live bait up here yet.

Cheers,
Brad

Interesting option, How many Macs have you been able to keep alive in good condition all day?

JMcKroid

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2018
Negatives are:

Detail photos will be great.

I want to make/purchase and compare the following three options:

1. 4" Dia. Black ABS DWV Pipe Bait Tube
3. 5.5 QT BAITSHARK

I will let you know the pros and cons of each option.

Paul

Awesome! look forward to seeing your conclusions.  I fish with 8-12" live baits in SE Florida.  I have a 4" ABS tube and a variety of homemade(including tuna tubes) and Hobie live wells.  So Far I prefer onboard-style live wells.  For my area, colder water = bait lives longer.   If I had the 5.5 qt bait shark, I would paint the top white for sun protection.   For onboard live wells in my area, the general rule of thumb is 1 bait per gallon of water.  8 Live baits will stay good in a Hobie 8 gallon tank.  One can put a dozen in there, but the bait will change color as they are oxygen starved and won't live all day.

123engineering

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Hi Paul,
I am interested in what you find..... I have a 4" tube model (diy) and have ordered a 6 qt frabill and will probably do a diy shark type but I think you may beat me to it.
Love the vids you do.... I have done the jb weld for bow and stern and it works very well..... may now do the sides gunnels as they have amassed a bunch of deep gouges and scrapes.  Also the bixpy mount vid helped me a bunch and is now my go to bixpy mount.... also did the drive plate mount but is a lot of hassle taking it in and out and I like the pedal and motor option at the same time.

Hope to fish with you again soon.

Troy

Hi Troy

Thank you.  You are one of the very few people who like my videos.

It will take me some time to do my test.
1. 4" Dia. Black ABS DWV Pipe Bait Tube - searching for cheap 4" ABS pipe, Home Depot sells 24" long piece for $25
3. 5.5 QT BAITSHARK - waiting for a retail store to carry them to avoid a $25 shipping charge.  The investor informed me that he is trying to distribute through local tackle shops.

I plan to test them in my condo swimming pool using a digital scale to measure the drag.

We need to go catch some halibuts together next spring.

Paul

Paul C.

CVN-72 Abraham Lincoln

123engineering

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile

Cheers,
Brad

Hi Brad

If I am unhappy with all my options, I will test Torpedo Bait Bucket.  I used Hobie Livewell when I was chasing yellowtail at La Jolla.

Paul
Paul C.

CVN-72 Abraham Lincoln

FishingAddict

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007

Cheers,
Brad

I was watching a video and the bottom is solid. Doesnt that cause drag or am I missing something?
2018 Hobie Revolution 13 Cheeesy Orange Papaya
2019 Hobie Revolution 11 Seagrass Green

ark

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2006

chopper

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2012
Sorry - lost track of this thread. I think I had 6-8 palm sized macs in at one time and all stayed healthy during the day. I never had an issue with drag from it - the sleek shape kept it down. I plan to give it some more use this year live bait fishing for halibut.

Cheers,
Brad

Sakana Seeker

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
I have both the Stealth Bait Torpedo and the Baitshark.  I like the Baitshark a little bit more, but neither are perfect.  The issue with both is when moving from Point A to Point B under power and additionally, moving with delicate anchovies.

First the Stealth Bait Torpedo.  Pros: light weight, foldable, durable, easy to open and close Velcro top.  Cons: despite the torpedo-like shape there's quite a bit of drag, the wide vent holes at the fore and aft are nice for flow but allow too much water to flows through the tube when moving and delicate bait fish like anchovies will get crushed/suffocate while moving, there's no way to take the bait tube out of the water without the whole tube draining.  Best for drifting only adventures.  Maybe a friend has a live bait well with lots of bait fish, and you are just taking 3-4 at a time and drifting.  This tube wouldn't be a bad option. 

Baitshark: Pros: well made design that minimizes drag while moving.  The design is quite smart, actually.  When pulled, the front of the Baitshark lifts up and acts like a boogie board in the water, minimizing the drag at the front, and the back of the bait tube has a fin and just a small part of it actually sits in the water.  It's designed to minimize drag, overall.  It's not like there's zero drag, but it's one of the best designs around, possibly.  In a pinch, if you have to move fast, you can lift the whole thing out of the water and sit it up like a bucket and the water won't drain out.  The vent holes are not at the back/bottom, but around the sides.  It's large enough for a few fish and even the delicate anchovies are happy most of the day.  Cons: the door flap to get bait in and out is a little cluncky.  It doesn't fold down so it takes up some space.  The whole thing seems a little more delicate than the other options, but I have only had it for one year so we will see how long it lasts. 

Ideal design....I would love a mini-ama style live baitwell.  Something that hangs close off the side, has minimal drag, and is easy to open and close from the top, that is circulating water constantly. 

PS-Revo13 owner so I don't have the deck space for a live well plus kill bag...without some compromise.   

IG: @sakana_seeker

SpeedyStein

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2020
Ideal design....I would love a mini-ama style live baitwell.  Something that hangs close off the side, has minimal drag, and is easy to open and close from the top, that is circulating water constantly. 

PS-Revo13 owner so I don't have the deck space for a live well plus kill bag...without some compromise.

This is a great idea. Would enhance stability and expand storage.

For folks with AMAs, what effect does adding weight to the AMA have? I would think it might improve overall stability since you are really changing the weight distribution, but it might also mess with handling and tracking?

Have been thinking a lot about an AMA/outrigger situation...
- Kevin

123engineering

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Thank you for your detailed comparison of Baitshark and Bait Torpedo.

Paul

I have both the Stealth Bait Torpedo and the Baitshark.  I like the Baitshark a little bit more, but neither are perfect.  The issue with both is when moving from Point A to Point B under power and additionally, moving with delicate anchovies.

First the Stealth Bait Torpedo.  Pros: light weight, foldable, durable, easy to open and close Velcro top.  Cons: despite the torpedo-like shape there's quite a bit of drag, the wide vent holes at the fore and aft are nice for flow but allow too much water to flows through the tube when moving and delicate bait fish like anchovies will get crushed/suffocate while moving, there's no way to take the bait tube out of the water without the whole tube draining.  Best for drifting only adventures.  Maybe a friend has a live bait well with lots of bait fish, and you are just taking 3-4 at a time and drifting.  This tube wouldn't be a bad option. 

Baitshark: Pros: well made design that minimizes drag while moving.  The design is quite smart, actually.  When pulled, the front of the Baitshark lifts up and acts like a boogie board in the water, minimizing the drag at the front, and the back of the bait tube has a fin and just a small part of it actually sits in the water.  It's designed to minimize drag, overall.  It's not like there's zero drag, but it's one of the best designs around, possibly.  In a pinch, if you have to move fast, you can lift the whole thing out of the water and sit it up like a bucket and the water won't drain out.  The vent holes are not at the back/bottom, but around the sides.  It's large enough for a few fish and even the delicate anchovies are happy most of the day.  Cons: the door flap to get bait in and out is a little cluncky.  It doesn't fold down so it takes up some space.  The whole thing seems a little more delicate than the other options, but I have only had it for one year so we will see how long it lasts. 

Paul C.

CVN-72 Abraham Lincoln

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"