Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 10:48:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 10:26:01 PM]

[Today at 09:39:34 PM]

[Today at 07:53:15 PM]

[Today at 06:54:40 PM]

by jp52
[Today at 02:25:47 PM]

[Today at 02:15:59 PM]

[Today at 01:10:11 PM]

[Today at 11:10:06 AM]

[Today at 09:46:32 AM]

[Today at 09:43:09 AM]

[Today at 09:32:03 AM]

[Today at 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:07:55 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Richmond, Pinole Point, South San Pablo Bay Launches//Striper  (Read 3580 times)

Mark L

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2017
I drive over the bridge every weekday, and haven’t noticed any activity yet. I don’t think it happened the last two years. Closest area was Brooks Island Jetty last year. I hope you find some if you go.
2018 Eddyline Yellow Caribbean 14 Angler

SpeedyStein

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2020
Yeah, not super hopeful about herring there. Would be cool though, and I will bring a sabiki just in case.

I'm thinking more about sturgeon right now, and trying to decide where to target them. I am really unsure where they should be right now - should I be looking at San Pablo Bay or Bay Point? Shallow or deep? Shrimp, worms, or something else?  I feel like with the rain nightcrawlers are probably a good bet, maybe in shallow water near shore? Idk, haha.
- Kevin

JMcKroid

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2018
When I think of Stripers and San Pablo Bay, It reminds me of my Cal Maritime Academy days back in the 80's.  Every spring tank trucks would release fingerling salmon off the campus pier in Vallejo.  If one saw the truck coming through the gate, it was feasible to run up to the dorm, grab your rod and catch a limit of stripers between classes. 
I wonder if they still stock the Salmon there?

partycentral

• Sardine
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2021
I like trolling - keeps me moving and I can sell it as "exercise" to my wife - and occasionally to my boss as an early release for good behavior. 

Wondering if anyone has good advice on trolling strategy for targeting stripers. Are there surface minnow type lures that have decent action at kayak speeds?
In my pre-kayak days I had decent luck shore fishing in the area with SP minnow-types, Rat-L-traps, and swimbaits.

Also, how's the current past Pinole Point? Seems like there would be a lot of movement anytime outside of slack tides.

SpeedyStein

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Rattle traps and swimbaits work pretty well. Lighter bucktails, like 1/2 oz, work well - gotta have a trailer tho. Umbrella rigs are almost like cheating, haha. Troll shallow with these - if there are fish there, you will find em with any of those.

I have not launched there specifically, but generally the current in SP Bay and SF Bay can be pretty strong. I try to time my trips to work with the current.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 04:40:30 PM by SpeedyStein »
- Kevin

SpeedyStein

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Thinking about launching at Point Molate Beach this afternoon.  Haven't launched there yet, just bringing light gear for surfperch and striper.  There is a TON of structure around there, surrounded by shallow flat areas, so I imagine there are plenty of fish.  Water clarity is finally improving too, so hopefully fish are hungry!

Looking forward to exploring this area, and hoping that it makes a good spot for after work.  Watching Windy.com for a few days, looks like that spot might be a little more protected from wind than some of the other launch points in the area. 

Anyone else ever launch there? 

- Kevin

Mark L

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
My wife and I look for beach glass there sometimes. There is a steep 5' drop off to the beach, and at low tide there is mud for quite a way out. I will look for you when I'm coming home on the bridge.

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
I’d be landing at 4:30 according to the tide chart.  Outgoing tide looks kinda fast as well…up to you…bring a flair gun so Mark can see you if you need assistance…nah…it’s always fun to launch with water, different story on the landing… :smt006
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

SpeedyStein

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I'm headed that way very soon, probably on the water by about 1230 or 1.  Definitely mindful of the tide and mudwalk potential, as well as currents through there.  I plan to be off the water by about 4 - not gonna be a long day, just scoping out some new-to-me ground. 

I remember the drop off - when I scouted there a while ago there was a trail to side that had a more gradual ramp.  It looked about the same degree of difficulty as the drop at Rockaway, but that was before all the rain and king tides.  We will see - I will report back here tonight. 
- Kevin

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
I'm headed that way very soon, probably on the water by about 1230 or 1.  Definitely mindful of the tide and mudwalk potential, as well as currents through there.  I plan to be off the water by about 4 - not gonna be a long day, just scoping out some new-to-me ground. 

I remember the drop off - when I scouted there a while ago there was a trail to side that had a more gradual ramp.  It looked about the same degree of difficulty as the drop at Rockaway, but that was before all the rain and king tides.  We will see - I will report back here tonight.
Good.  I'm glad you're gettin' out.  Sounds mega fishy if it's your day.   :smt006
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

SpeedyStein

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Well, no perch to be found. I probably need smellier bait - tried some gulp grubs, and then some gulp worms that have been sitting in my box for too long, no avail. Also tried sabiki for nada.  All these wrecks and pilings look pretty promising...

Gonna troll for stripers for a bit, seems like the kinda place they would hang out.

Launch went well, the little access trail wasn't too steep for me, and I will probably drag up before putting wheels on for the trip back. Very pretty place put here, great views.
- Kevin

Mark L

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I could see him from the bridge, and from shore.

Tsuri

• Do I even fish brah?
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2009
Cool turned into a winter report.

Two areas up there that are known for stripers are under the bridge close to shore and between the Brothers during big tides but I've only caught halibut around there.
I have seen a sturgeon jump out of the water north of the marina but never targeted them.

Coincidentally only ever caught one striper from a kayak and it was at Treasure Island...... :smt001 :smt004

Thanks the live report and good luck!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2023, 04:15:37 PM by Tsuri »
P13. T160. Evo 465
Old and salty crew

"I think before the day is done I want to be a fisherman"    - Primus

SpeedyStein

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I could see him from the bridge, and from shore.

Hey, right on! Thanks for catching a pic of me put there!
Cool turned into a winter report.

Two areas up there that are known for stripers are under the bridge close to shore and between the Brothers during big tides but I've only caught halibut around there.
I have seen a sturgeon jump out of the water north of the marina but never targeted them.

Coincidentally only ever caught one striper from a kayak and it was at Treasure Island...... :smt001 :smt004

Thanks the live report and good luck!

Thanks! That's a nice pair there!  I think I see TI as my primary after work spot this summer, with Richmond being a close second depending on tides and winds.

No bites today - I think the stripers are still mostly up in the delta.  I thought for sure I was gonna get some bites on perch though, all those pilings and shipwrecks. No such luck today.

The launch and landing went very well. No mud walk, the shore here is pretty rocky for a ways out. The little hill wasn't too bad - bigger than Pacifica for sure, but solid dirt so good traction. I just dragged the kayak up that then put wheels on in the flat spot at the top. Easy peasy!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2023, 04:28:20 PM by SpeedyStein »
- Kevin

SteveS doesn't kayak anymore

• grumpy ex-kayaker
  • Sea Lion
  • winter sturgeon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
that area has a nice deep hole just on the outside of all those pilings, you can see it on a good chart...can be decent in summer.  We troll just up toward the brothers a lot for stripers, or plug the pilings- again in summer.

anything