Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 06:47:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 06:39:16 PM]

[Today at 05:17:28 PM]

[Today at 05:09:26 PM]

[Today at 04:31:01 PM]

by &
[Today at 04:22:40 PM]

[Today at 01:09:18 PM]

[Today at 11:46:31 AM]

[Today at 10:38:46 AM]

[Today at 10:16:10 AM]

[Today at 06:30:45 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:23:34 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 12:06:38 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Hobie AI/TI aluminum haka benches  (Read 8365 times)

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
I was browsing the Hobie forums and came across this interesting post by a guy who is making some quality aluminum haka benches, suitable for an AI or TI:

http://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=67112

He plans to sell them, if there is interest, although he's not yet sure about the price. I contacted him, and he'll let me know when he has the price nailed down. I suspect the killer is going to be shipping, since he's in Florida.

If any of you AI/TI owners might be interested in this (depending on price, of course), let me know. Shipping several at once would probably save a lot of moolah.
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

yakyakyak

• Sea Lion
  • Huh? What?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016

17.2 lbs?  Been waiting for one of these, although a spine board is still attractive.  I am in if I haven't figured out my haka solution.

2019 Hobie Outback
2017 Hobie Adventure Island
2016 Santa Cruz Raptor G2 - Surf/stability champ!
2015 Hobie Revolution 16 - Speedster
2016 NuCanoe Frontier 12 - Extra stable with crazy load capability

-----------------
FOR SALE
-----------------

Rods and Reels: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=88549.0 (Shimanos, Casting/Spinning Rods + Reels

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2015
what would this board be used for ?
2014 Revolution 13 - sold
2015 Pro Angler 12 - sold
2019 Outback - sold
2015 Adventure island

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#

17.2 lbs?  Been waiting for one of these, although a spine board is still attractive.  I am in if I haven't figured out my haka solution.

That 17 lb weight was for his original prototype which he did in 3/16" aluminum. He's building one now out of 1/8", and he's confident it'll be more than strong enough. If so, that'll take the weight down to something under 12 pounds. That's a little less than the spine boards that I've seen.

I plan to attach them with Railblaza mounts that will allow the ama to fold in with the bench attached. I've got a PVC pipe version that I use now for extra storage (it's too flexy to sit on), so I know that'll work.

Btw, he tells me that for just the bare aluminum (no clamps, no no-slip surface, etc.), he currently estimates about $75 each. If that holds up, that would be a pretty great price, IMHO.

As for shipping, I took a look at shipbikes.com, and they would charge about $60, not including the box and packing. So maybe the shipping cost wouldn't be prohibitive.

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
what would this board be used for ?

A "haka" bench on an AI/TI. Among other uses, when sailing, you can "hike out" on the bench on the upwind side, to counteract the tipping force of the wind and thereby gain some speed. I think the longest thread in the history of the Hobie forum is about this topic:

https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=37645

Lots of people build wood versions, but those are heavy. Others have tried everything from SUPs to aluminum ladders. Some look pretty wacky.

There have been rumors forever that Hobie is about to come out with a haka bench, but I don't think it's ever going to happened.

sebast

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015
Looks interesting, but what are the advantages of this vs. spineboard?
2015 TI
2017 Outback

yakyakyak

• Sea Lion
  • Huh? What?
  • View Profile
Stronger, less flex, and you can drill them (i.e. put in a boat seating or heavy duty downrigger).  Looks like the attachment points will be stronger as well.

2019 Hobie Outback

-----------------
FOR SALE
-----------------

Rods and Reels: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=88549.0 (Shimanos, Casting/Spinning Rods + Reels

yakyakyak

• Sea Lion
  • Huh? What?
  • View Profile

That 17 lb weight was for his original prototype which he did in 3/16" aluminum. He's building one now out of 1/8", and he's confident it'll be more than strong enough. If so, that'll take the weight down to something under 12 pounds. That's a little less than the spine boards that I've seen.

I plan to attach them with Railblaza mounts that will allow the ama to fold in with the bench attached. I've got a PVC pipe version that I use now for extra storage (it's too flexy to sit on), so I know that'll work.

Btw, he tells me that for just the bare aluminum (no clamps, no no-slip surface, etc.), he currently estimates about $75 each. If that holds up, that would be a pretty great price, IMHO.

As for shipping, I took a look at shipbikes.com, and they would charge about $60, not including the box and packing. So maybe the shipping cost wouldn't be prohibitive.
I am sold, count me in.
2019 Hobie Outback

-----------------
FOR SALE
-----------------

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
I am sold, count me in.

Awesome. I'll let you know when he has a firm price. Hopefully, we can save some on shipping by combining orders...

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#

That's a fair question. I'd say that if you plan to just strap it down with bungees (and there's nothing wrong with that), then spineboards are a good option to consider. But, I want to be able to fold the amas, and just leave the hakas on when trailered.

I've attached a couple of pictures of my current PVC pipe setup. It's too flexy to sit on, but works great for extra storage. It's attached to a couple of Railblaza mounts. I plan to do a similar thing with the aluminum benches, but also will include something on either side of the mounting point to prevent it from rocking when the ama is in the "open" position.

crazyfisher

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile

I would think a spine board can be used as a floatation device? Haven’t tested it myself. The aluminum board looks interesting!

I strapped a stadium seat to the spineboard...it’s awesome and comfortable for the guest. I wish it was a tad lighter and less bulkier so aluminum might be good for transporting

Depending on price I might be down  :smt006

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
Depending on price I might be down  :smt006

Great! I’ll keep you posted.

I just thought of one thing... Does anybody know if the spacing between the aka bars changed on 2015 and newer AIs, or if it’s different on TIs? It’s 60” OC on my 2014 AI and the same on the builder’s AI, which is 2009. If spacing is different on your AI/TI, would need to know that before ordering.

sebast

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile

I would think a spine board can be used as a floatation device?

I actually tested it. Short version: It floats and helps you to float.

Long version.
I've been using spineboards for several years now.

1. They are not created equal. Despite the ratings written on them. Those I used before were much (!) heavier and slightly (subjectively) more robust. Ones I use now are lighter (~11 lbs), rated for 450 lbs. and so far were pretty sufficient.

2. For floatation I tested them this summer on the lake - they float and do add some floatation, but nowhere close to help you.

3. Depending on configuration I use two (with 2 kids) or 1 (w/ 1 kid or when I load/unload from the dock). They have been absolutely solid to stand on for kids and wife, and I stand on them (it's probably about 250 lbs), though I try not to.
They have been absolutely solid as HAKA for hiking under heavy wind, I did not feel any flex.

4. I use them over tramps, and I'm still struggling to come up with semi-perm mounting solution for the front (I have two solid mounts on the back to keep them from sliding). W/o tramps they would be mountable on the front exactly the same way, not sure if aluminum would make difference.

In any way, if I were mounting HAKA *on top* of other mounts / attachments (i.e. railblaza, or I'm using Pat's mounts) I would triple-check how solid it all is for standing on/hiking, esp. lateral movement (I saw attempts and failure reports, though there are probably success stories too :) )

What I would be consider for improvement:
- lighter / more rigid. I heard that wood might actually be a better solution, but never tried. If aluminum version works better I'd be all for it!
- perhaps - narrower HAKA. Especially with tramps it might make sense to have something narrower than what I have (16").. or maybe not.
- mount on the front (but in my case it's tramps that are bottleneck, not HAKA itself)
2015 TI
2017 Outback

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
Last call...

The price will be $75 each (bare aluminum), with about a 2 week delay from the time we order until they ship (from Florida). Shipping is yet to be determined, but I get $90 on shipbikes.com for 3 pairs, not counting the box and packing. The more we order, the better the shipping cost per unit. I plan to have them all shipped to me, then I'll distribute to whoever ordered.

NwM

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
After some UPS adventures, the aluminum haka benches arrived. They look to be indestructible. I want to do a little sanding, as there are some rough edges--hopefully, I'll get these installed this weekend...