Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:35:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 11:13:05 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 03:17:35 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Is a 8.5' sit-on-top kayak good enough for near shore ocean?  (Read 6558 times)

bluestar

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
Hey there is another used Perception kayak for sale, for $300.  This one looks old too as color seems to be fading; bigger concern is it has 2 repair patches.  Are the patches a concern?  Any view on this one overall?

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/boa/d/san-francisco-perception-tribe-135/7596421125.html

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
Yes patches are a concern! Run away!!!!!
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

SpeedyStein

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2020
That one looks like it is in pretty rough shape - I'd find a better one. Check local kayak shops, they often have used rentals/demos at a discount.  I bet you can even rent one, see how you like it, then negotiate the rental price from the purchase price.
- Kevin

murky waters

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2022
If you can find a scupper classic or any scupper pro kayak they will be well worth your money.
 Search Facebook marketplace or Craigslist. You can usually find one for 300 or under. The perception is also a great kayak if you can get a twin hatch.

bluestar

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Want to update my progress on the acquisition (in case years ago this thread is dug up).

I searched and patiently waited for 2 weeks to find the most ideal used kayaks. Cost is a consideration because I am buying two. Most sea worthy kayaks, even heavily used, are priced from $300 and up. There is one pair of 12 footers that looks really ideal, but the owner wanted extras for each seat and each paddle and each other attachment. I resisted the urge to get this done asap and just kept looking. I checked craigslist and FB marketplace every few hours.

Finally last Saturday one post popped up. Two 12-footers for sale. Having seen so many ads, I knew these are it. Committed to seller I would come from Bay Area to Monterey to pick them up the next day (because I had to put up the rack); offered to send money via Zelle as deposit to show my commitment.

Then on Sunday I went down to Monterey with one of my kids. Arrived there early; went to MBK beach to check out the launch site which I never visited before. This looks even better (flatter) than San Carlos beach actually, just that I don't seem to see a shower there. 

Went by MacCabee beach; found that there is no free parking on the street, and there was loads of people and activity on the street even on this chilly day; probably not a good site to launch kayak in the summer.

Went by Lovers Point; there are free parking along the street which is nice; but we did not find a flat path to the beach. Is there one? Maybe we just did not explore enough. We saw the shore and could not resist to park and hiked down the cliffy trail to touch the water. Hung out there till the time to pick up, then we went over to the owner's house.

After a short greeting we got to the business. Two kayaks; originally listed for 250 and 150 each; the seller gave them to me for 350! Pleasant surprise! What a nice seller. Pays for the gas.

Load them on to the rack, tied them down with 6 ropes, two of which are sailboat sheets so thousands pounds of load capacity. They will not come off for sure. My main fear is whether they will rip off my rack which is bolted to the Tacoma track rails which are attached to the truck bed with just a few small screws.

Then we got on the road. This is the first time I have such big things on my rack; previously I only occasionally haul long lumber with it; this time I feel like I have a sail on my truck. It was kind of windy Sunday, and going north from Monterey I was against the wind, so wind was felt. I drove at 55 mph the whole trip back.

One question I have is: Is it better to put these 12' kayaks on top of the rack and take the wind's torque, or put them on the bed for a lower profile and have the end sticks out 5-6' behind the truck?

Anyway we arrived home same and sound.  Now the kayaks are sitting on my deck awaiting my next modifications. Your comments are welcome about the sea worthiness of these kayaks.

I am very happy with these kayaks because:

1. They are used but in good shape.
2. Very economical
3. Bright in color
4. They a matching pair!
5. One of them have 3 seats. We may even take my wife out once in a while.

I previously committed to buying another older perception kayak ($150), so I still have to pick that up when the owner is back from vacation. So now I will have 3 kayaks to play with.

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
That seems like a great deal on some classic yaks. Right on!
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
Want to update my progress on the acquisition (in case years ago this thread is dug up)....

I didn't get any further than this, as my head exploded.
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia
Got a condo made of stone-a

bluestar

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Want to update my progress on the acquisition (in case years ago this thread is dug up)....

Just want to record that this time action was taken. As opposed to procrastinating for another n years…

AlsHobieOutback

• Administrator
  • View Profile
Hah!  Well as a horrible procrastinator I approve of your expedient decision making skills.   :smt003

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011

Just want to record that this time action was taken. As opposed to procrastinating for another n years…

OK, but I want to know what sort of weird time travel will be required for this thread to be dug up in the past. I doubt that even if Mr. Spock and Doc Brown combined forces that they could make it happen…
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia
Got a condo made of stone-a

AlsHobieOutback

• Administrator
  • View Profile

OK, but I want to know what sort of weird time travel will be required for this thread to be dug up in the past. I doubt that even if Mr. Spock and Doc Brown combined forces that they could make it happen…

Just pretend you are reading this thread: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=13595  :smt003

Fisherman X

• Sea Lion
  • Going to the ocean is going home
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
AHO wrote:
Just pretend . . .

Al, you          !!!!

:smt064
-Success is living the life you want-
Joel ><>

Hammerhead avatar in memory of CdM

AlsHobieOutback

• Administrator
  • View Profile

Then we got on the road. This is the first time I have such big things on my rack; previously I only occasionally haul long lumber with it; this time I feel like I have a sail on my truck. It was kind of windy Sunday, and going north from Monterey I was against the wind, so wind was felt. I drove at 55 mph the whole trip back.

One question I have is: Is it better to put these 12' kayaks on top of the rack and take the wind's torque, or put them on the bed for a lower profile and have the end sticks out 5-6' behind the truck?

I carry my kayaks upside down with non-ratcheting straps, but cinched tight, so they are well connected to the crossbar that I've looped around the kayak to make it double strapped, in the front and the rear.  I also add a front and rear tiedown to further steady my kayaks while traveling.  I have a bit of a lead foot if i'm not towing my trailer  :smt044 So I commonly reach up to 80 mph with this setup unless it's windy, and then it's a very good idea to slow the f down.  :smt005. I'm sure in the back of your bed it's going to be less drag and "sail" due to aerodynamics.  It's also usually easier or faster to unload from the bed vs the whole tie down stuff I previously mentioned.  Good luck, see what works for you either way!  A good friend of mine on this site always used rope to tie his kayaks, and he never had an issue. 

Fisherman X

• Sea Lion
  • Going to the ocean is going home
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
For me, carrying the yaks deck down has been the best method. I tried deck up once but it doesn’t work well with w/o saddles IME. Round bar Yakima racks on a camper shell, foam pipe insulation on the round bars. I used to use b asic camlock tie downs, but switched to braided climbing type rope - one at each end looped around the bars making each connection a double. I’m not quite as fast as Alain but move along. No bow rope, my boats haven’t moved.

Transporting the yaks in the bed would be great, but I need the room for ice chest, suit, vest, rods, tackle, etc. I agree that inside could be quicker to deploy and repack as well as less wind influence potential, but we need the addtl storage space in the bed o the truck.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2023, 08:43:54 AM by Fisherman X »
-Success is living the life you want-
Joel ><>

Hammerhead avatar in memory of CdM

AlsHobieOutback

• Administrator
  • View Profile
Actually should mention that the front and rear tiedowns are for my Hullavator, that doesn't 'firmly' grip my kayak.  But on the straight bar I do like FmX and securely secure the kayak on the bars to the bars, and do not need the front and rear ties.  :smt002

anything