Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 01:56:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 11:58:24 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 09:24:28 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 07:49:41 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 09:45:43 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:27:22 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:37:51 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:28:42 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 09:08:36 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:41:07 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:12:18 AM]

[April 19, 2024, 10:54:38 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 10:40:43 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: When is a 2-speed reel worth it?  (Read 3440 times)

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
Generally I fish 100 fow or less, and really haven't felt that a two speed reel would be of benefit in my arsenal.  But with the new depth restrictions I started re-thinking that, maybe if I want to go deep I should invest in a 2-speed.  If I bought one I'd probably go with an Avet, still looking for a low profile reel for kayaking but with the 2 speed.  Is there any other benefit to a 2-speed other than fishing deep?  Just curious if there are other applications for them.
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

Corey

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2016
Anyone is welcome to correct me - but a two speed reel won't help with increased depth in and of itself. Typically, you'd be using the higher gear for faster line retrieval and 'normal' catches. The Second speed is a lower gear to give you more power / torque specifically for larger fish. Especially when they are still down below you (surface fish can change direction more commonly benefiting the higher, standard gear and faster line retrieval to avoid putting slack in the line).

Two speeds (and 3 speeds) in CA are frequently used for tuna fishing in CA.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2023, 08:12:22 PM by Corey »

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
I appreciated the 2 speed reel the last time fighting the Humboldt Squids.
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007

Ah, I see then I completely misinterpreted the use of a 2-speed it seems  :smt005. So it it's more torque, it's more like a winch  setting to pull in a big fish?
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
I only use 2 speed reel when high torque needed to pull them up from bottom like Humboldt Squids, Lingzillas, Pac-Halibuts, etc..
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

Poopsmith

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2020
I use my 2-speed pac-hali fishing as well, I don't think ur wrong in your thinking.

After a couple 300 ft bait checks sometimes you feel like working a little easier. If the goal is to get your gear up quick or fishing lighter weights you can basically stay in the high speed gear but after a long day of fishing with a pound ball, the lower gear is awesome! Plus you can kick it down if you want to wench up a big ling or just need the extra muscle.

While on a cattle boat out of SD I've used my avets low gear once on a big tuna but usually those deckhands make you stay in high gear to get the fish up quick and out of the way of other people lol. (and they scream REEL REEL REEL in your ear)

I say GO FOR IT!
"I'm not a human I'm Amphibian" - Larry the Fisherman

IG/FB: Poupsmith

AOTY 2023 1st Place* (no salmon, cali limit reduced, stunted rockfish season, etc.)
AOTY 2022 2nd Place
AOTY 2021 5th Place
2019 Outback, 2023 Replacement Hull

HG

• Salmon
  • View Profile Paubox
  • Date Registered: Aug 2013

Ah, I see then I completely misinterpreted the use of a 2-speed it seems  :smt005. So it it's more torque, it's more like a winch  setting to pull in a big fish?

If you wanna go DEEP, an electric reel is the way to go. But for the price (and hassle), imo it's only worth it if you're going 600+ feet down, which I'm not even sure is allowed in CA from a kayak. I don't have an electric reel btw, but there's kayakers in HI that use em.

The only time I've engaged the low gear on my Shimano Talica 16II or Tiagra 50W is when fighting marlin. Otherwise, I don't think it's necessary.

Then again, I've never hooked a Humboldt squid :)

« Last Edit: February 28, 2023, 10:20:12 PM by HG »

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile

If you wanna go DEEP, an electric reel is the way to go. But for the price (and hassle), imo it's only worth it if you're going 600+ feet down, which I'm not even sure is allowed in CA from a kayak. I don't have an electric reel btw, but there's kayakers in HI that use em.

The only time I've engaged the low gear on my Shimano Talica 16II or Tiagra 50W is when fighting marlin. Otherwise, I don't think it's necessary.

If you ever hooked a nice one,  you definitely appreciate the 2 speed reel.

HG

• Salmon
  • View Profile Paubox

If you ever hooked a nice one,  you definitely appreciate the 2 speed reel.

I bet!  :smt001

poulton

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2011
After my last trip to Florida fishing deep I am going Elec
After couple hours cranking that much, elec is nice
They do make small elec and large. Seems more smaller being produced? Lately
They do have a time and place to use compared to other tackle

Duckguy

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2014
I have a smallish 2-speed bait caster I use for bass fishing. It’s normally set for high speed, but has a clutch like a drag adjustment that downshifts at an adjustable resistance. I leave it set for very high resistance shifting. Once in a while, in the Delta, a large striper will hit a big crank bait. When the whole boat changes direction, I’m really glad for that low gear! It’s really rare, but yeah.
Warning! Retiree; Knows it all and has plenty of time to tell you about it.

Santa Cruz Kayaks Raptor G2

wannabe

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2014
I once lost what felt like a HUGE ling on a nautical day on the water because I got lazy and used the lower gear on my 2-speed reel.  I had it hooked up, and I took my time slowly brining it to the surface.  Unfortunately, when I crested a rather large swell, the lower gear wasn’t fast enough for me to keep tension on the line while going down the backside of the swell.  In that short amount of time where I lost tension, what felt like my PB ling spit the hook. 

I still love that Daiwa Saltist 2-speed lever drag reel, but I never used the lower gear again after that incident.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2023, 03:07:31 PM by wannabe »
"Do it while you're young. You may never have another chance to do anything this stupid again!" - Tom Magliozzi

ark

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2006

I guess that you've never caught a tuna. I've caught yellowfin and bluefin both and don't know what I'd do if I didn't have the two speed. Heck two speed would be good on those large yellowtail who won't budge and keep getting your line spooled out. I go down to SD a lot so I have at least 5 2-speed reels.

Up here we don't have a lot of reason unless you want to get into those large bluefin that have been appearing lately every year.

HG

• Salmon
  • View Profile Paubox

I guess that you've never caught a tuna...

brah, I'm from Hawaii. Caught my fair share of tuna, shibi, whatever you wanna call it.

Blue marlin, five miles out, unassisted, different story.
https://www.paubox.com/resources/kayak-fishing-marlin-hoala-greevy/
« Last Edit: March 01, 2023, 10:49:59 PM by HG »

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016

I guess that you've never caught a tuna...

brah, I'm from Hawaii. Caught my fair share of tuna, shibi, whatever you wanna call it.

Blue marlin, five miles out, unassisted, different story.
https://www.paubox.com/resources/kayak-fishing-marlin-hoala-greevy/
Brah!  Dat read was o' so good!  I needed that...tanks to da max... :smt006
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

anything