Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:18:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 03:09:46 PM]

[Today at 02:40:25 PM]

[Today at 02:13:58 PM]

[Today at 12:23:11 PM]

[Today at 10:38:26 AM]

[Today at 08:08:50 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:26:01 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:53:15 PM]

by jp52
[April 18, 2024, 02:25:47 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 02:15:59 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 01:10:11 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 11:10:06 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:46:32 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:43:09 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:32:03 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: FishFinder location - left or right side?  (Read 3158 times)

JonM

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013
Hey all, I'm getting ready to install my first fish finder this weekend (late Xmas gift - Lowrance HDS Live 7" with Active 3in1 Trans) and I'm wondering if there is a "standard" side to mount the unit.  From what I've been able to dig up in previous posts, we "should" mount it on the non-primary fishing side, meaning if I fish on the right side, mount it on the left? 

I ask for 2 reasons:
1) I am new to kayak fishing, so I want to get it "right" the first time with the understanding that there are a lot of other people who have done this before me and they may have figured out a better way to start out. I think I fish off the right side more often, but I've only been out a few times, so I'm still open to changing how I fish if there is a more "standard way"  in-order-to make my life a little easier down the road.
2) I see most installation videos on Youtube seem to default to installing on the right side, meaning people fish the left side of the boat.

I fish on a Outback, saltwater, and I'm right handed, if that makes any difference.

Jon M
Jon M

Hobie Outback - Mango

Clayman

• AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010
The posts you dug up are sound advice. If you typically jig or mooch with the rod in your right hand, you'll want to place your depthfinder on the left side of the kayak.
aMayesing Bros.

HOLY TOLEDO

• 2009 Angler of the Year
  • Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007
There is also a Ram mount that will fit in the Hobie mast hole. While it’s a bit of a reach, it frees up both sides of the kayak for fishing.

https://www.headwatersadventure.com/search/Ram+wedge/
WE BROS

SpeedyStein

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2020
I am right handed, but use left handed reels on the right side of the kayak, with FF on the left. I have the entire right gunnel clear to make netting/landing fish easy.  I will occasionally troll with a rod on each side, but not typically for larger species.
- Kevin

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
I'm right-handed and usually fish from the starboard side. My FF is also on the starboard side, as I have a holder for my iPhone on the port side. I've never had an issue, but then I don't have anything close to a 7" screen either...
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

KPD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
The buttons for my fishfinder are along its right edge, so I find it easiest to reach with my right hand and push buttons with my thumb while stabilizing my fingers against the edge of the fishfinder as I’m bouncing around in the chop. I also tend to do most of my fishing and netting on the left side, so for these reasons the fishfinder is mounted on my right.
Wanted to buy: Stealth ProFisha 575 or 525

bogueYaker

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2020
Just throwing an alternative out there - after deciding the sides of my boat were too cluttered when configured for trolling I decided to mount my FF on my center hatch. I like and will continue doing this with future kayaks/FFs, but it's not without its drawbacks, namely:
- Makes the front hatch even more inaccessible on the water
- Accessing center hatch takes a little more effort
« Last Edit: February 20, 2023, 05:28:38 PM by bogueYaker »

Fisherman X

• Sea Lion
  • Going to the ocean is going home
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
There is also a Ram mount that will fit in the Hobie mast hole. While it’s a bit of a reach, it frees up both sides of the kayak for fishing.

https://www.headwatersadventure.com/search/Ram+wedge/

Agree with PL - I’m right handed, usually bring fish in on left and have FF in the center
-Success is living the life you want-
Joel ><>

Hammerhead avatar in memory of CdM

123engineering

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2017
The buttons for my fishfinder are along its right edge, so I find it easiest to reach with my right hand and push buttons with my thumb while stabilizing my fingers against the edge of the fishfinder as I’m bouncing around in the chop. I also tend to do most of my fishing and netting on the left side, so for these reasons the fishfinder is mounted on my right.

I do the exact same way with my 2022 Hobie Outback.  Also, I like to keep my left side clear to get on and off the kayak from left side.

Paul
Paul C.

YouTube: Kayak Fishing Couple
2018 Hobie Oasis Papaya & Grey
2022 Hobie Outback Papaya
2017 Hobie Outback Camo Sold
2014 Hobie Revolution 13 Red - Sold
CVN-72 Abraham Lincoln
2013 & 2019 Subaru Outback White

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
Just throwing an alternative out there - after deciding the sides of my boat were too cluttered when configured for trolling I decided to mount my FF on my center hatch. I like and will continue doing this with future kayaks/FFs, but it's not without its drawbacks, namely:

How you can pedal with that huge thing between your legs?

Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

SpeedyStein

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile

I do the exact same way with my 2022 Hobie Outback.  Also, I like to keep my left side clear to get on and off the kayak from left side.

Paul

I was just thinking about the same - but for my right/starboard side.  One of the reasons why I keep that side entirely clear - I like to wade out to about knee/thigh deep water and hop on from the side. Having no obstructions makes this a LOT easier.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2023, 08:44:07 PM by SpeedyStein »
- Kevin

123engineering

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2017

Paul

I was just thinking about the same - but for my right/starboard side.  One of the reasons why I keep that side entirely clear - I like to wade out to about knee/thigh deep water and hop on from the side. Having no instructions makes this a LOT easier.

I think it is like snowboarding, regular and goofy.  You have to determine your preferred side.

Paul
Paul C.

YouTube: Kayak Fishing Couple
2018 Hobie Oasis Papaya & Grey
2022 Hobie Outback Papaya
2017 Hobie Outback Camo Sold
2014 Hobie Revolution 13 Red - Sold
CVN-72 Abraham Lincoln
2013 & 2019 Subaru Outback White

SpeedyStein

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile

I think it is like snowboarding, regular and goofy.  You have to determine your preferred side.

Paul

Very true, everybody does it a little different. Just gotta play with it and go with what feels right.
- Kevin

ThreemoneyJ

• Sea Lion
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2014

That’s what she said!  :smt044

Also pick whichever side works better for you. It’s not too hard to move the FF from side to side on the Hobie since they already have the wiring holes from the factory.

For ease of landing fish, ease of entering the kayak, etc a lot of folks like to leave one side of the kayak clear.

I’m right handed, but fish left handed reels, mount all my crap on the right side of the kayak, and land fish/enter the kayak on the left.
-John
Angler Of The Year is currently free!!
NCKA Angler of the year (AOTY)link http://aoty.norcalkayakanglers.com/
NCKA AOTY how to link https://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=62574.0
Send me a message if you want to be signed up for AOTY

bogueYaker

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2020

Uhhh... years of experience?

But for real, it doesn't impact peddling. Maybe due in large part to the hobie lawnchair seat?

anything