Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:40:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 11:13:05 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 03:17:35 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Ditch Your Weight Belt Offer  (Read 32717 times)

ex-kayaker

• mara pescador
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
I was reading Big Jim's post earlier today about a buddy that wisely decided to ditch his weight belt when he got into some trouble on a dive.

I've been in a few sticky situations in the past where I contemplated doing the same.....but letting a $100 bill sink to to the seafloor isn't always an easy decision to make.

I have about 6-7, 2lb dive weights laying around collecting dust.  I'm offering them up as a replacement to any member here that has to ditch their belt this season. Hopefully having a backup will make the decision to ditch a little easier if you're caught in a bad spot.  The only caveat, you gotta share your story with us. 

..........agarcia is just an ex-kayaker

BigJim

• A-Hull
  • No white flags.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
Heck yeah Art!!

If you end up needing more than the weight that Art has let me know and I will cover the difference.

:smt006

Sincerely,

Jim

~GS4  2010-1st~
~DOTY 2013-1st~
~T2B2 2015-1st~
*DOTY: 2012-5th~2014-5th~2015-4th~2016-7th~2017-4th~2018-5th~2019-5th~2020-2nd*

FishingForTheCure

• "I'm going to make dinner because my colors taste like hungry"
  • Manatee
  • LOWRANCE & SIMRAD PRO STAFF
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010
That is SOO awesome of you to do this!

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007
Great idea.

If it were something that could get going, I'd pitch in for a dedicated insurance pool.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
That is a great idea.
Too bad I sold all my extra stuff last season. I had a bunch of weights.
<=>

Yowlie

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2014
Also a good idea to dremel your phone number into one of your weights on the belt you wear.  Then when you ditch it, it may come back to you.  I think Mako will replace your belt if you ditch it?

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
I think I have one or two weights too that someone used as weights in my crab traps when they borrowed them.  I think one or two round ones, and one square one?  I'll look for them this weekend.
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

eiboh

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2015
I might have a 4 pound square mold on Fort Bragg property in one of the sheds I gladly donate to the cause. don't know when I'll make it up there next but I'll make it a point to look for it

Chet

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2013
Sorry for a threat jack. I lost mine at Coral st a while back. Anyone have one of this for sale or trade?

For sale [Lithium Battery] Version_2 -> Postponing
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=87570.0

For sale [Lithium Battery] Version_1 -> Postponing
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=84409.msg959037#msg959037

=======================================

2016 Dune Hobie AI
2011 Red Hobie AI
Trident 15
Tarpon 140
Prowler 13

My adventure
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=75214.0

GrimKeeper

• Sea Lion
  • To consume, you must produce.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2013
I have about 35 pounds in bare bones lead dive weights I could donate to the cause for anyone up here who has to ditch their belt.

I almost ditched mine twice in one day a few years ago. I was diving from a beach north of Fort Bragg for abalone and had my brother, his son and his sons' two friends along.

The surf wasn't too bad, but a storm had just laid down, so vis was nil for about a hundred yards out. It was June and the kelp was grown out quite a bit. I told my brother that the boys should stay on the beach for this one and he and I could possibly truck out to where brown met blue and be fine.

The beach was not very long and had an arm of rock to the north and an arm of rock to the south, both covered with abs. The tide was coming in. I didn't realize it, but with the incoming tide, there was current that was pushing against the beach and washing north and south, back out along the rocks.

I got in first, having more experience with putting on the gear and headed straight out from the middle of the beach. It didn't seem too bad. I was making headway. When I'd glance around to get my bearings, I noticed that the current was moving me north towards the shallower rocks. I readjusted my heading, but was still moving a little more NW than I intended.

I had just topped a small swell and moving down the back side of it, everything turned purple. I felt a few kelp creepers wrap around me, and it was a fine time to realize that I had an extra 5 pounds to much on my belt. I couldn't back out so I crawfished upright and grabbed a breath as the next swell came over me. My feet hit bottom in only about 7 feet of water. So I stayed upright and bounced backward off the bottom while breaking individual strands of kelp until I was free enough to turn over and kick home, yelling at my brother to get back on shore, we'll head over to NoYo harbor.

That afternoon, we had a successful dive at the harbor, with everyone getting in some time in the water and getting some abs. I popped mine quickly so I could get in some spear time and help if needed. I was hanging out by the small jetty there and I'll be damned if the dang kelp didn't wrap me up in about four feet of water and keep me horizontal. I had one hand on a rock and scrabbled for about 30 seconds trying to untangle myself and eventually had to just grab a breath and pull myself up onto to rocks to break free of that stuff.

Both situations had the idea of ditching the belt pop into my head. I haven't dove in the summer since.

DG

• Sea Lion
  • First joined in 2013
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2014
Very true guys.  I have come close twice but got out of trouble just as I was ready to release. 

I have seen at least one spear shop say they would replace the weights at cost if someone bought their weights and ended up ditching it. 

It's nice to remind people that ditching a belt could save your life. 
-----------------------------------
NorCAL HOW Volunteer

2018 NCKA - DOTY Committee Member

2017 DOTY 2 biggest fish awards
2016 DOTY 2nd place / 4 biggest fish awards
2016 Triton X - 2nd place
2016 Triton Open - Biggest Lingcod
2014 DOTY - 1 biggest fish award

spinal tap

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2005

I had just topped a small swell and moving down the back side of it, everything turned purple. I felt a few kelp creepers wrap around me, and it was a fine time to realize that I had an extra 5 pounds to much on my belt. I couldn't back out so I crawfished upright and grabbed a breath as the next swell came over me. My feet hit bottom in only about 7 feet of water. So I stayed upright and bounced backward off the bottom while breaking individual strands of kelp until I was free enough to turn over and kick home, yelling at my brother to get back on shore, we'll head over to NoYo harbor.

That afternoon, we had a successful dive at the harbor, with everyone getting in some time in the water and getting some abs. I popped mine quickly so I could get in some spear time and help if needed. I was hanging out by the small jetty there and I'll be damned if the dang kelp didn't wrap me up in about four feet of water and keep me horizontal. I had one hand on a rock and scrabbled for about 30 seconds trying to untangle myself and eventually had to just grab a breath and pull myself up onto to rocks to break free of that stuff.

Both situations had the idea of ditching the belt pop into my head. I haven't dove in the summer since.

But what would have ditching your belt accomplished in these two situations?  It sounded like both times you were tangled in kelp.  Did you have a knife?

baitNbeer

• Sea Lion
  • "kick his ass sea-bass!"
  • View Profile delta rats & salty bay dogs
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
Who needs lead to melt down? Got tons of it
www.mossdalemilitia.com
 once you go yak , you dont go back
"But really though, I dont know how my wifes cucumber melon bodywash got in my dive bag"

GrimKeeper

• Sea Lion
  • To consume, you must produce.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2013
I didn't have a knife. The first time, I had too much weight and the bottom was deeper than I was tall. I had an instant spike of adrenalin and the buoyancy of releasing the belt seemed like the right thing, until my feet hit the bottom and I knew I could break kelp and back out.

The second time, I can say that a lot of it was exhaustion and again, the buoyancy came to mind. It's amazing how quick the mind can come to conclusions in a split second in those scenarios.

I can say that it was a lesson learned in respect, knowing precisely how much weight I need to use and my limitations.

RacinRob

• AOTY Committee
  • Wilderness Systems Pro Staff
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
I had a situation last year where i was down about 20' and my leg cramped up bad. I don't have great breath control and had been down for a little bit. My first thought was head up of course. When I saw how far it still was and could only kick with one leg my hand went instantly to my belt, I was seconds away from ditching it not sure if I could make it back up. I made it and did not drop. I think for new divers it is a good idea to practice dropping it and knowing how to do it quickly just in case the need arises. I have been scuba diving for 30 years and know every bit of my equipment and how to get out of, and into it under water. I know where my octo is if my main goes bad too.
http://WildernessSystems.com      http://ATPaddles.com
http://ShastaTackle.com               http://MacksLure.com

Wilderness Systems Kayaks Pro Staff           Heroes on the Water Coordinator
Mack's Lure Pro Staff

2018 AOTY 2nd Place
2017 ARW Halibut 3rd Place
2017 Berryessa Salmon Slam MBF winner
2014 GS8 1st Place AOTD
2014 Trinidad Rockfish Wars 1st Place--- Teamed w/ATD
2014 AOTY 3rd Place-Again
2013 AOTY 3rd Place
2012 Berryessa Salmon Slam  1st Place