Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 09:13:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:53:15 PM]

[Today at 06:54:40 PM]

by jp52
[Today at 02:25:47 PM]

[Today at 02:15:59 PM]

[Today at 01:10:11 PM]

[Today at 11:10:06 AM]

[Today at 09:46:32 AM]

[Today at 09:43:09 AM]

[Today at 09:32:03 AM]

[Today at 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:47:56 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:07:55 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: spider's T140  (Read 13264 times)

H2Ospider

finally got around to cleaning up the inside and securing my power box. Used velcro tape for both box and wires.  Still plan on balancing the boat with a second power source. 

SF Alex

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2006
sandman-
From one bungee snagger to another-that is a smart swap! It appears that you are able to secure a larger flat box under your legs as a result - another plus. As you probably found out, the bungees can only hold a very limited size box. 

H20 Spider- A nice clean job in the hull. Doesn't look like your set-up weighs much at all. I guess they gave you enough wire slack for that transducer? ha
My FF has finally been shipped. I also bought a wiring kit from kayakfishinggear that includes rechargeable AAs, a charger, and a waterproof bag to hang the batteries inside the hull.
I did not get any bargains- but I skimped on Valentines Day this year!

SF Alex

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2006
H20 Spider-

thanks for the word on the RAM mount. It was easy to find and easier to install

SandMan

• Salmon
  • Fishing the Bean
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2005
Spider, SF Alex, Troy anyone else with a Tarpon, if you need some surgical tubing for the bungie changeout send me a PM with an address and I'll send you some...my treat.

I've never mounted anything in the bow bungies and will probably replace it with surgical tubing or remove them this season.

Another Tarpon retrofit should be to add a front hatch strap.  I adapted Troy's setup after I had my tupperware hatch ripped open going through the surf.  At least it didn't happen when I was on the freeway otherwise the hatch would have been history.  I would reccomend using a plastic snap buckle from REI because its easy to use and is very reliable.  I access the front hatch everytime I come in for a beach landing to stow my gear.

Speaking of stowing gear I have my FF transducer mounted to the side of the hull where Spider's battery is mounted so I can slide my rods down the middle.  The transducer shoots through the hull just fine and there's no loss of contact with the water. 

Oh, by the way if you want to remount something cemented in goop, just hit with a hair dryer until its soft enough to pull loose.  I learned that the hard way when I read the instructions (after installation) and figured out that I mounted the transducer backwards (duh!).  Would have been OK as long as I paddled backwards all day. 

I really like how clean the velcro mounts make the battery box and the wires sit.  I've tried to tie wrap everything into place and its hard to do that given the space limitations.

That ram mount looks really good and I'm going to have to give that some serious consideration.  My hesitation is that I scoot forward to stow my gear and that thing might be in the way...but if I mount where I can swing it out of the way that would work. 

Pimp On!

Gary
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.

H2Ospider

The weather has got the bass hunkerd and the slime sled was long over due for some love. The FF hadnt worked since B3, the boat rul-r markings were rubbed away,and it took a powerwasher to bust through the layers of sunscreen from 07.  I had the technology to make it better than it was before. better, stronger, faster.
The only reason that im sharing any of this is that one of the projects was to improve the vanity mount. This version is just a tester to see if this solves my problems.
Crotchshot no more? Im hoping so and Im sure those who read my reports hope so too.

Marmite

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Little easier to see

H2Ospider

The 140 was overdue for some water proofing so I tried to recreate the work that was done on the aft section of the 160. Hopefully this will also keep my rods/gear where they belong even after surf launches. :spiderman:
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 01:13:36 PM by Hydrospider »

prodigal

upgrades include the hard hatch in the aft, new foot pegs, functional floatation, secured wiring, a new transducer with a long temp probe for temps at depth, and of course, a vanity mount upgrade.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 08:48:57 AM by prodigal »

The Kraken

• Team Bridgeport
  • Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2009
Wow, it sure looks a lot different now than it did when I used it a few years back for my first RF trip. Good job resurrecting the old "work horse."

prodigal

"Workhorse" is a very appropriate label to throw on this boat. It can do a little bit of everything and has taken alot of beatings and always held tough.
Its relatively quick for a fishing barge and beyond stable.
One of the things I appreciate about the old style Tarpons is the flat workspace that is comfortable to stand on.
 Its ok in moving water. Ive never paddled it in any big hydrolics but Ive played around in some small wind chop. I had to work a little but still enjoyed the short glides. Ive also paddled  the 140 in some slow moving rivers. Again, not really the right tool for the job but it I didnt have to swim.
Its just a great all around boat. Especially for folks that arent into having a huge quiver of different kayaks for different conditions.
If something happened to it there is no doubt I would purchase another.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 12:30:23 PM by prodigal »

Hydrospider

Next evolutions. Sound dampening and better bulk heads/less dead space throughout the boat.

Danglin

• Sea Lion
  • Accept Yourself, So Shall The World ...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2006
I Dig 140's…

Definitely see one or maybe a dozen in our future
There are 3 Types of people in the world,,,

The Sheep, The Sheep Dog & The Wolf,

Which are You ,,,

2006 NCKA Shark Fishing Tournament Champion    
2nd Moutcha Bay, BC. 2006 "Tyee" Surfing Contest
ELK 07  1st Place Loser
HMB 09 3rd Place
HMB 09 Sardine Champion