Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 08:25:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:09:27 PM]

[Today at 07:50:07 PM]

[Today at 07:29:14 PM]

[Today at 07:26:53 PM]

[Today at 07:22:48 PM]

by Rick
[Today at 06:21:18 PM]

[Today at 06:03:14 PM]

[Today at 06:03:07 PM]

[Today at 06:01:09 PM]

[Today at 05:53:10 PM]

by &
[Today at 05:23:24 PM]

[Today at 01:20:14 PM]

[Today at 09:23:34 AM]

[Today at 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 09:45:43 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Spear fishing for surfperch in the surf zones  (Read 3907 times)

FishHunt(Ty)

• Salmon
  • Name: Tyler
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2015
Just wonder anybody does Spear fishing for surfperch in the surf zones>

Thanks

• Cabeza de Martillo
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
Perch are everywhere don’t need to dive in the surf for them.
It’s probably easier along a reef or kelpy area.

Vis would be better too.
Pronounced in Spanish  ka·be·za de mar·t·yo
Translates to Hammerhead in English for my Gringo amigos.
....and yes that's me with a 6ft. green moray in the avatar.

"Spearos before Hos" - Silent Hunter

"Give your son a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach him how to spearfish and he'll feed you for a lifetime" - Cabeza de Martillo

Proud Papa of ...........
2018 JAOTY Lucas aka Baja Ninja
2018 JDOTY Noah aka Silent Hunter

FishHunt(Ty)

• Salmon
  • View Profile

Vis would be better too.

I think dive in the surf would be safer due to shallow water, sandy and near the beach so you have fun in the beach too and with other family members.

Tez

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017

Vis would be better too.

+1

They're everywhere.  Perch were the first fish I saw underwater, about 30 sec into a dive in shallows of a protected cove.  Good target shape as a practice fish to get started spearing, too.   Also used to sometimes smash up a few purple urchins with the butt of my gun and come back a few minutes later.

TheKeeneroo

• Salmon
  • Eric
  • View Profile FIN + FORAGE
  • Date Registered: Feb 2018

Vis would be better too.

I think dive in the surf would be safer due to shallow water, sandy and near the beach so you have fun in the beach too and with other family members.

I really dig the idea of bringing the family down to the beach while you get some perch. There are lots of places that have beaches for family where perch would be easier to shoot, like Coral st in PG, or even Lovers 3. Perch are everywhere and probably one of the easiest fish to find and spear.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward

There's definitely a fish under THIS rock....

Eric, Pacific Grove
Instagram - @thekeeneroo
Facebook - @Ekeener1
Level 1 Free Dive Cert, EANx
FIN + FORAGE - Founder                  www.finandforage.com

FishHunt(Ty)

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Thank you for the information. Hopefully, I will give it a try soon.

pedxing

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2011
I grew up in Southern California and dove for corbina right in the surf.  I found the easiest was to be right behind the wave.  If you're actually in the surf you're going to get pounded by the waves and its going to roll you and rip things off.  Also you gotta be really careful in knowing your surf.  You're not paying attention to it, so you won't see any potential sleeper waves coming in.  You'll have to get a feeling for those.  Also polespears, belt stringer and short open heel fins are going to be your friends.  Other things is make sure you spear away from others as people's feet can be on the other side of that fish.

good luck!

FishHunt(Ty)

• Salmon
  • View Profile
I grew up in Southern California and dove for corbina right in the surf.  I found the easiest was to be right behind the wave.  If you're actually in the surf you're going to get pounded by the waves and its going to roll you and rip things off.  Also you gotta be really careful in knowing your surf.  You're not paying attention to it, so you won't see any potential sleeper waves coming in.  You'll have to get a feeling for those.  Also polespears, belt stringer and short open heel fins are going to be your friends.  Other things is make sure you spear away from others as people's feet can be on the other side of that fish.

good luck!

Thanks, Can I use float + floating line in the Surf Zone? What thickness of the wet suite would you recommend?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 03:53:52 PM by FishHunt(Ty) »

scorpaenichthys

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2017

good luck!

Thanks, Can I use float + floating line in the Surf Zone? What thickness of the wet suite would you recommend?

If it's an open-cell freediving suit, 5mm or 7mm would be fine. If it's a closed-cell scuba suit, 7mm all the way.

Like everyone else said, the better hunting is going to be over reefs. There are plenty of sandy beaches in the area with reefs right off shore that would be fun with the family. But if you're dead set on diving in places you'd surfcast for perch, you're going to cover a lot of ground. A float would just get in the way. Best case it'll just be a pain to tow around; worst case it'll yank you around or tangle you up in the surf. A float catching in the wind and pulling you back is just going to be a hassle with no added benefit.

If there are no surfers around you could use a float line with no float on the end, but IMO there's no point. Perch don't pull nearly hard enough that you'd lose your gun or tear out on an average shot, and you're not going to be marking holes like you would for rockfish. A muzzle bungee is plenty, or you could throw a reel on and have a little more flexibility with stripers and halibut. 
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 08:37:14 AM by scorpaenichthys »
A man who is not afraid of the sea will soon be drowned. But we do be afraid of the sea, and we do only be drowned now and again.

FISHALLDAY

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2011
I completely agree with many of the other comments regarding hunting over reefs and protected coves!

Not sure if you've dove before? If not, I highly recommend taking some classes and truly learn about the sport. There have been so many diving related fatalities...

BigJim

• A-Hull
  • No white flags.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
I'll second the advice of not bringing a floatline into the surf zone...especially in areas where surf casters frequent...your line will take up a lot more "territory" than just you and your gun.

If targeting perch you won't need a float line or a reel.

If targeting stripers I would recommend a reel.

Stay safe in the surf zone...as mentioned above it can be an unforgiving and painful place to be...especially with a loaded speargun...

:smt006

Sincerely,

Jim

~GS4  2010-1st~
~DOTY 2013-1st~
~T2B2 2015-1st~
*DOTY: 2012-5th~2014-5th~2015-4th~2016-7th~2017-4th~2018-5th~2019-5th~2020-2nd*

MauiBen

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2019
There are serious safety issues with spearfishing at a beach. The visibility in the surf zone where perch hang out is very bad. If it's a sandy beach, and of course it is if you're targeting surf perch, there will be other people in the water with you. They will have no idea what you're up to, and will make no effort to avoid you. Even if you check for people around you before you start, a person can enter the water from the land at any time and you will not see them because your head is down hunting for fish. Firing a deadly weapon in low visibility conditions with people around is a recipe for disaster.

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
Perch are everywhere ...

Just curious why we don't hear much about kayakers catching perch, hook-and-line. Is it just that nobody targets them, or are there other reasons?
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

• Cabeza de Martillo
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
Perch are everywhere ...

Just curious why we don't hear much about kayakers catching perch, hook-and-line. Is it just that nobody targets them, or are there other reasons?

Bingo!

smaller hooks, different bait would help out tremendously.

There’s some monster perch down there in the 20 inch range

DOTY archives has some examples
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 06:59:11 PM by Cabeza de Martillo »
Pronounced in Spanish  ka·be·za de mar·t·yo
Translates to Hammerhead in English for my Gringo amigos.
....and yes that's me with a 6ft. green moray in the avatar.

"Spearos before Hos" - Silent Hunter

"Give your son a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach him how to spearfish and he'll feed you for a lifetime" - Cabeza de Martillo

Proud Papa of ...........
2018 JAOTY Lucas aka Baja Ninja
2018 JDOTY Noah aka Silent Hunter

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2018
Perch are everywhere ...

Maybe has to kayakers don't hang around in the surf zone and they have bigger fish to fry (couldn't resist) like salmon/halibut/rockfish. It's pretty easy to catch perch from shore and they are pretty abundunt.
2015 Hobie Revo 13
2017 Hobie i12s
Stealth Fisha 460

anything