Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:42:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 05:32:15 PM]

[Today at 04:51:41 PM]

[Today at 04:43:49 PM]

[Today at 03:38:04 PM]

[Today at 02:40:25 PM]

[Today at 12:23:11 PM]

[Today at 10:38:26 AM]

[Today at 08:08:50 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:26:01 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:53:15 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 02:15:59 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 01:10:11 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 11:10:06 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:46:32 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:43:09 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:32:03 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: DIY DIVE FLOAT + Backpack (Pic Heavy)  (Read 8491 times)

TheKeeneroo

• Salmon
  • Eric
  • View Profile FIN + FORAGE
  • Date Registered: Feb 2018
Feb. 2020 Update: I have been trying to create useful videos for those newer divers in our spearo community. I'm updating my original thread with the latest video I made about dive boards, all the links and such can be found below in the thread.

2018 UPDATE: Many people have asked for ideas on how to make dive boards so I'm updating this to share with them. I've been using this set up for almost a year and it still functions perfectly even after being battered by waves and rocks, hiked through thick brush with many lbs of fish on it, and scaled up cliffs in Big Sur.

Note: If you're not into DIY, buy a banksboard. Banksboards are more bouyant and rugged but also come with way more weight, way higher cost and less customization. This is a DIY project that is much less expensive than a Banksboard.

The benefits of a dive board are to hold all your stuff, bring an extra pole spear/gun, have something to clip your float line to (if/when you want to shoot a big fish), bring drinks/food, keep your car keys, phone and license dry, mount a dive flag so boaters can see you and bystanders don't think a body boarder just died, and best of all you can easily glide over the top of kelp instead of needing to kelp crawl or swim under it. Kelp crawling is exhausting and dangerous. NOTE: No matter what you bring with you, make sure it is 100% clipped into the board or in a bag that is clipped to the board. Yard sales in the ocean are no fun and very expensive.

After looking at a TON of DIY dive boards, here is how I made mine:

BODY BOARD: Cheapest plastic bottom body board you can buy (the larger/more bouyant, the better). I got mine from a thrift store in good condition. Play it again sports always has great deals too. I've seen guys zip tie pool noodles to the edges of the board for added flotation which might not be a bad idea although it will catch the wind more. It looks funny, but have been told that it is effective if you need it (I'm 6'4" 190 lbs and haven't found a need for it yet).

LEASH PLUGS: I used 9, but you could get away with less. Amazon has them for cheap. Measure your body boards thickness and make sure the plugs will fit. NOTE: Since taking the below photo, I added 1 more leash plug centered at the bottom so that my fins don't slip out while hiking (see video link at top).

U-BOLTS: Stainless steel or zinc plated dimensions 5/16" x 2" x 3", make sure they come with the flat plate washer and that they will fit the depth of your board without too much sticking out the top. You'll need large washers for the top of the board. They won't catch on kelp, they won't cause water resistance, they are useful to hook your kelp clip and stringer to AND it becomes a backpack - which is my favorite part of this whole set up.

BUNGEE NET: Make sure to get one with the smallest holes you can find. I found this one on amazon for $5. 15" x 15" worked perfect for my board. I keep a dive bag (with metal handle) on the board too for all my random accessories while hiking down long trails. I also used a brass clip on one corner so I can essentially unclip the net to put the cargo in, then clip it back in.

GUN CLIPS: I now use heavy duty metal twist ties from NiteIze although I initially used 10" tarp stays (but found that over time the stretch and then the guns bounce while you hike). I tied a knot 1/2" shorter than the diameter of the ball on the end and wrap the bungee around the gun and push the ball through the small hole (so many jokes to be made). I put one gun on each side and it works great. NOTE: I still clip my guns to the netting just in case a wave tumbles me on the way in/out. If the tarp tie came out, the gun doesn't get lost.

KELP LEASH: I have a kelp clip, but the velcro strap that came with the board works really well. so all I did was extend the leash with some 550 chord and at the point where I tied the leash to the 550 chord, i put a brass clip. This way, I can tie the 550 chord to the front, bottom ubolt, then bring it over the front and clip the leash to the original leash plug so it keeps stuff off the bottom of the board while i kick out to where I'm diving. Then, I unclip the leash (making it longer) and velcro it around a few pieces of kelp (don't just clip to one in case it breaks off from the rocks below). The spiral in the leash acts like a bungee which means swells won't pull your board off the kelp.

DIVE FLAG: I use my flag on my board and kayak, so I wanted something that I could pop in and take out pretty easily, but also not fall off in the wind or waves. I took a 1/2" PVC flat top end cap (not the round one), drilled a hole in it so that the u-bolt could fit through and with a washer, tightened it back down. I also added some marine permanent epoxy on the bottom to help ensure it stays down. Then drilled 2 holes on the side at the bottom, to attach a key ring via zip tie. This allows the 1/2" pvc pipe that the flag is mounted on to clip to it and not fall out. This seemed like the least obtrusive way to mount a removable flag. NOTE: Watch the video at the top for a new method for dive flag.

BACKPACK STRAP: I wanted something that I could easily put on and take off and toss in the dive bag when I'm out on the water so it doesn't catch on kelp. I've hiked far with this thing fully loaded on my back and it works fantastic. I just used some cheap webbing and a simple clasp like what is on rubber dive belt buckles

OTTER BOX: I use this to keep my car keys phone (with waterproof case for redundancy) and license in. You can find these cheap at walmart or on amazon.

STRINGER: I've since added a stringer which is awesome when you're on a long dive, catch a couple big fish and dont want them hanging on your hip while you dive. It's very nice to offload the fish. You can also stuff them in a dive bag if you want them less exposed.

OTHER THINGS TO KEEP ON THE FLOAT:
- Marine whistle
- VHF/GPS
- Thermos
- Dive Bag
- Food
- ???

I'd love to know your thoughts on the board or modifications on what you did, want to do, or should do to yours! I'm all about DIY so post your DIY projects with instructions, too!

- Eric
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 03:15:42 PM by TheKeeneroo »
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward

There's definitely a fish under THIS rock....

Eric, Pacific Grove
Instagram - @thekeeneroo
Facebook - @Ekeener1
Level 1 Free Dive Cert, EANx
FIN + FORAGE - Founder                  www.finandforage.com

kaeru

• Sardine
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2017
Excellent write-up. The details and pics are great and if I don't copy it, it gives me a bunch of my good ideas to launch a project with. Thanks.

yatzmail@yahoo.com

Check some videos on YouTube also. They have some cool ideas too.

pmmpete

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2015
In what circumstances do you prefer to dive from a dive float, and in what circumstances do you prefer to dive from a kayak?

yatzmail@yahoo.com

Those without kayaks?

Hah wow your way is very cool  :smt003

• Cabeza de Martillo
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
In what circumstances do you prefer to dive from a dive float, and in what circumstances do you prefer to dive from a kayak?

Access, Access, Access
Pronounced in Spanish  ka·be·za de mar·t·yo
Translates to Hammerhead in English for my Gringo amigos.
....and yes that's me with a 6ft. green moray in the avatar.

"Spearos before Hos" - Silent Hunter

"Give your son a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach him how to spearfish and he'll feed you for a lifetime" - Cabeza de Martillo

Proud Papa of ...........
2018 JAOTY Lucas aka Baja Ninja
2018 JDOTY Noah aka Silent Hunter

DRT Yakbah

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2018

In what circumstances do you dive in a ghillie suit and in what circumstances do you dive not dressed like an army ranger? :smt003

In all seriousness, why the ghillie suit?

pmmpete

• Salmon
  • View Profile

In what circumstances do you dive in a ghillie suit and in what circumstances do you dive not dressed like an army ranger? :smt003

At the time of that picture, I was snorkeling and speargunning for northern pike in Montana in a Mango Kokatat drysuit.  Pike are generally very spooky, and will usually scoot off as soon as they see you, unless you swim along very slowly and sneakily.  I was concerned that the Mango drysuit made me a lot more visible to the pike.  And a friend who is a real successful pike spearfisher used a 3D camo suit over his wetsuit, and claimed that it helped.  So I bought a Cabelas 3D camo suit and started to wear it over my dry suit.  I think it did help me sneak up and whack more pike.  But now I have a black dry suit, and have quit using the 3D camo.

The 3D camo suit definitely made me look like the creature from the black lagoon.  Which is why I used that picture to illustrate spearfishing from a kayak.

DRT Yakbah

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2018

At the time of that picture, I was snorkeling and speargunning for northern pike in Montana in a Mango Kokatat drysuit.  Pike are generally very spooky, and will usually scoot off as soon as they see you, unless you swim along very slowly and sneakily.  I was concerned that the Mango drysuit made me a lot more visible to the pike.  And a friend who is a real successful pike spearfisher used a 3D camo suit over his wetsuit, and claimed that it helped.  So I bought a Cabelas 3D camo suit and started to wear it over my dry suit.  I think it did help me sneak up and whack more pike.  But now I have a black dry suit, and have quit using the 3D camo.

The 3D camo suit definitely made me look like the creature from the black lagoon.  Which is why I used that picture to illustrate spearfishing from a kayak.

There really fn cool!!! Didn't know you could spearfish in freshwater. That sounds reaaaaally difficult but rewarding. I didn't see you were in MT and I just assumed that was somewhere on the northern coast. What else have you shot in freshwater?

pmmpete

• Salmon
  • View Profile
There are very limited open water spearfishing opportunities in Montana's western fishing district, which is where I live.  It's basically only pike, and only in the lakes in the Clearwater drainage.  In Montana's central and eastern fishing district you can spearfish in a much larger number of lakes and rivers, and for a much greater variety of game and non-game fish.

When I spearfish for pike, I just snorkel around on the surface in water from 4-12 feet deep, sneaking up on pike and whacking them.  I'm not freediving like the spearfishing studs who are members of this forum.  I read about their exploits with admiration.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 03:46:34 PM by pmmpete »

TheKeeneroo

• Salmon
  • Eric
  • View Profile FIN + FORAGE
  • Date Registered: Feb 2018

I was fully trying to understand the ranger suit! haha. I take it you were on scuba based on the fins?

I only kayak when I know I'm going somewhere beyond where I'd feel like swimming to. Not to mention, most of the northern coastal spearfishing honey holes are near cliffs which means launching a kayak is near impossible. I've lowered my kayak down 15 foot cliffs before and roped it back up =P Not fun.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward

There's definitely a fish under THIS rock....

Eric, Pacific Grove
Instagram - @thekeeneroo
Facebook - @Ekeener1
Level 1 Free Dive Cert, EANx
FIN + FORAGE - Founder                  www.finandforage.com

pmmpete

• Salmon
  • View Profile

I was fully trying to understand the ranger suit! haha. I take it you were on scuba based on the fins?

I only kayak when I know I'm going somewhere beyond where I'd feel like swimming to. Not to mention, most of the northern coastal spearfishing honey holes are near cliffs which means launching a kayak is near impossible. I've lowered my kayak down 15 foot cliffs before and roped it back up =P Not fun.
Nope, just snorkeling.  I went out today and whacked six pike.

I can see how a cliff launch would be easier with a dive float than with a kayak!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 07:30:02 PM by pmmpete »

• Cabeza de Martillo
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011

I can see how a cliff launch would be easier with a dive float than with a kayak!

Access, Access, Access  :smt003
Pronounced in Spanish  ka·be·za de mar·t·yo
Translates to Hammerhead in English for my Gringo amigos.
....and yes that's me with a 6ft. green moray in the avatar.

"Spearos before Hos" - Silent Hunter

"Give your son a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach him how to spearfish and he'll feed you for a lifetime" - Cabeza de Martillo

Proud Papa of ...........
2018 JAOTY Lucas aka Baja Ninja
2018 JDOTY Noah aka Silent Hunter

yatzmail@yahoo.com

All totally makes sense now :)

ryang85

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2016

Access, Access, Access  :smt003
Kayak will get you into more remote places with minimal work,
Shoredive locations are usualy difficult to get to or overwhelmed by other divers.

Since abalone closed i dont even use a board anymore, i just clip the fish into my weighbelt and gun.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

anything