Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:39:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:56:41 AM]

[Today at 08:08:50 AM]

[Today at 07:24:38 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:26:01 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:53:15 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:54:40 PM]

by jp52
[April 18, 2024, 02:25:47 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 02:15:59 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 01:10:11 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 11:10:06 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:46:32 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:43:09 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:32:03 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Kick the crate - My new Rod holder-Redo  (Read 3847 times)

E Kayaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2010
My large milk crate doesn't leave enough room for fish in my new Thresher 140. I decided to try to make something custom and see if I can kick the crate. I decided to use PVC since it works well for my production skill level. I'm very happy with how it is going so far. It's got enough strength and stability for the huge Sturgeon net I have. I also figure I can add to it if I want connect a piece to make a trolling motor mount.

Nice. It's such a dilemma, this space vs convenience thing. For your bolts, you might want to try "toilet flange" bolts from the plumbing Dept of a well stocked hardware store; you might be able to find brass ones which are easy to cut down (thread a nut on well below your cut in order to correct the threads after cutting) and hold up better in saltwater. That said, the brass & aluminum have a bad galvanic reaction so its best to spray the T-bolt w/ something waxy like Boeshield T9.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The ones I tried the other day would spin in the track. Maybe some brands are bigger. I may get some stainless carriage bolts.
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=42846.msg470404#msg470404

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.  ~John Buchan

Baitman

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Very nice !          Krylon Fusion spray paint would color that up real nice.   Also protect from UV light.

Have you ever tried heating the PVC to shape some of the bends?

I thought about it but never tried it.

Super easy,,,    Flames tend to burn and discolor it, so use a heat gun or even just put a section in the oven,  warm it till it's like a noodle.   you can flange shape the ends of pipe, or even make your own slip fittings.   

Sometimes the fish isn't the only prize.
2nd place  Simply Fishing 2013
   Designer  Raptor kayaks

You must pass through the valley of stupidity to ascend the mountain of knowledge.

robohalll

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2016
holy pvc batman,  that looks sweet.  is this going to be the new trend instead of the milk crates?
Prowler 13

seabird

• Salmon
  • Oh my GAHWD Jay, It's a baby fahkin WHEEL jay
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
holy pvc batman,  that looks sweet.  is this going to be the new trend instead of the milk crates?
Depending on your kayak, maybe maybe not. If your kayak doesn't have a large center hatch, having a place to store stuff is kinda nice even if you have a way of holding rods an whatnot.

E Kayaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I decided to redo my pvc rod/net holder. I have struggled with the design because pvc uses 90 & 45 degree turns and the gear track is 94 degrees. In the first one I solved that problem by going up then over so I could twist the ell to point straight across. When I was trying to put a big stringer of rockfish and lingcod in the back the raised pvc made it more difficult.

I finally figured how to make it with 90 degree turns. The pipe doesn't follow the track, but with the cross piece behind my seat I'm able to bolt it in securely. It was a little tricky getting the bolt holes in the right spot, but it turned out ok and it fits good. I also like the fact that it's lighter than the old one and I moved the net holder closer to my seat. It's got room for two rods and a net which should be enough, but I can add more if I decide I need it.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 05:36:31 PM by traildad »

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.  ~John Buchan

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

CptSloppywood

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2014

Str8FishiN

• DEPTH SQUAD
  • Sea Lion
  • #hobiefishing
  • View Profile Hobie Fishing
That's exactly what I need!  Nice work Traildad! 
"Success if living the life you love" -MOOCH

Nolanduke

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2016

My rod was rubbing against the fitting as I pulled it out and was knocking the butt cap off the rod.

This is a pretty good description of how I had my third child. 

Nolanduke

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2016
Oh yeah, and very nice, inspiring work. 

Weimarian

• Sea Lion
  • The fish, I hear them! work can wait! let's go!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
My large milk crate doesn't leave enough room for fish in my new Thresher 140. I decided to try to make something custom and see if I can kick the crate. I decided to use PVC since it works well for my production skill level. I'm very happy with how it is going so far. It's got enough strength and stability for the huge Sturgeon net I have. I also figure I can add to it if I want connect a piece to make a trolling motor mount.

Nice. It's such a dilemma, this space vs convenience thing. For your bolts, you might want to try "toilet flange" bolts from the plumbing Dept of a well stocked hardware store; you might be able to find brass ones which are easy to cut down (thread a nut on well below your cut in order to correct the threads after cutting) and hold up better in saltwater. That said, the brass & aluminum have a bad galvanic reaction so its best to spray the T-bolt w/ something waxy like Boeshield T9.

The ones I tried the other day would spin in the track. Maybe some brands are bigger. I may get some stainless carriage bolts.
Toilet bowl hardwear.... oval with flat sides. comes with rubber washers too!!!! Brass so no corrosion either. Nice job on the pipe works!
Come on out! It's time to play. It's time for TROUT Bass and STRIPER. Let go of the hand brake!

E Kayaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile

Toilet bowl hardwear.... oval with flat sides. comes with rubber washers too!!!! Brass so no corrosion either. Nice job on the pipe works!

I think it might depend on the brand. I do use those as well but have had some of them that are just a little too small and lock in the track when I tighten them.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 06:12:48 PM by traildad »

Azkikr

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2017

Spring45

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
... For your bolts, you might want to try "toilet flange" bolts from the plumbing Dept of a well stocked hardware store; you might be able to find brass ones which are easy to cut down (thread a nut on well below your cut in order to correct the threads after cutting) and hold up better in saltwater. That said, the brass & aluminum have a bad galvanic reaction so its best to spray the T-bolt w/ something waxy like Boeshield T9.

You can get stainless flange bolts online. They are a pain to cut, but otherwise superior, IMHO.
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

anything