Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 09:15:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:56:12 AM]

[Today at 08:46:36 AM]

[Today at 08:45:08 AM]

[Today at 08:01:43 AM]

[Today at 06:30:45 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:50:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

by Rick
[April 23, 2024, 06:21:18 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:23:34 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Extremist backlash from Elk  (Read 2629 times)

pescadore

Quote from: Travis
Quote from: Anonymous
Quote from: Bill

#2 So does anyone honestly believe no one knew Elk was a good spot to catch fish? I mean come on people, look at a topo map of the coast. You can easily tell that Elk would hold fish. Hell you can tell the entire north coast will hold fish at various spots as well as the central coast. The further these spots are away for ports the less pressure thus more fish. It is not rocket science here. Nothing has prevented someone from launching at Albion and fishing Elk prior to us being there.

Bill: I basically agree with you.  However, accessability is only one factor in why spots don't get fished.  Another is  "out of site, out of mind"  There are many sites were once "inacessible," but once people figured out they held quality fish, they also figured out the logistics of getting to them and made them accessible.  When you think about it, folks k-fishing there is kind of an example.  The web is just such a big stage.  When posting fish pictures there, the audience could be quite large.  Gives a lot of people ideas.

pescadero-dave
 Are you suggesting that we don't talk about the tourney that we had or post any pictures?

Travis:  I'm not suggesting anything other than what will and what has already happened.  If 50 strangers go to a small hole in the wall town and catch a $hitload of fish in front of the locals and then post many pictures on the World Wide Webb there are at least 2 things that will happen.

1) The locals will get pissed off
2) Many others will come to catch fish there

I mean no disrespect to anyone, but this is reality.  It is something we-all should think about.

As for suggestions:  A catch and release tourney would have great PR value ....and it could be done.  Even in Elk.  Zodiac type boats could be brought in early, anchored out the night before, and manned by volunteers as weighing vehicles.

dave

Dave

skyboy

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
I think this whole thread is getting most of us frustrated, sorry to speak for everyone. I am sure most of us are very satisfied with how we treated the small town of Elk.
40+ kayakers some with families, all camping at a Facility we gave quite a donation to, that I am sure looks the same as it did before we showed up.
A fishery that did not suffer an impact by concerned fisherman that released more than we Kept.
And lastly as Sean said earlier, it was only a few that had a problem.
I would bet money that this forum has given this issue more time and energy than the few that complained in the first place. I personally am very happy with how the tournament went, and if we did another tomorrow wouldn't change one aspect of it. As for the pictures and the fear of other overrunning the area. IMO the more we make it something it wasn't.  Elk was great fishing, fort ross is great fishing, linda mar is great fishing. Thank you to the people of Elk All of whom I found to be friendly, But I am sorry to tell you, you don't have the only great fishing hole on the coast. There are hundreds, it just so happens we had a tournament there this year and just like football fans watching replays, and baseball fans still talking about the 1975 Dodgers, we, as, fisherman are reliving a event we will never forget through our photos and post. Let us enjoy or excitement for our sport the way we want too. That is what our boys overseas are fighting for, I intend to enjoy the freedoms they are fighting for. Lets drop this thread and unnecessary negativity and move on............Joe
Joe

Bill

• Sea Lion
  • My Brother
  • View Profile GulfStream Outdoors
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Quote from: pescadore

Travis:  I'm not suggesting anything other than what will and what has already happened.  If 50 strangers go to a small hole in the wall town and catch a $hitload of fish in front of the locals and then post many pictures on the World Wide Webb there are at least 2 things that will happen.

1) The locals will get pissed off
2) Many others will come to catch fish there

I mean no disrespect to anyone, but this is reality.  It is something we-all should think about.

As for suggestions:  A catch and release tourney would have great PR value ....and it could be done.  Even in Elk.  Zodiac type boats could be brought in early, anchored out the night before, and manned by volunteers as weighing vehicles.

dave

Dave

Hmm Dave I don't want to drag this out any longer but I think your points above are a little off.

1. I think like 2 or 3 people got upset.

2. This might happen but I would be shocked if it did.

A catch and release tournament wouldn't help much. If we had pictures of everyone holding a lot of rockfish and making comeents like "I must have released 20 fish!!" and "I was on the weigh boat and I must have wieghed a 1000 fish!!" would have the same effect for number 2 and you would still probably find 2-3 people upset that 60 people "invaded" the community center.

You can't make everyone happy all the time, sad but true...

jellyfish

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2005
I love you skyboy  :smt007

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
Oooops that was me.  I will delete this thread soon...

pescadore

Bill:  OK, I give.  You guys make good points epecially Joe (i think): we've put more energy into this than it deserves.  

Dave

promethean_spark

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
If we have a C&R tourney, we should do it with a fish with good release surviveability.  Maybe a shark tourney in the shipping channel under the san mateo bridge?  Hauling in *HUGE* sharks and rays aught to be lots of fun.  

That'd be something good to do in the spring, when RF is closed and there isn't much else to do.  Sept and oct should be good too though.[/url]
The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
Of the big lake they call Gitche Gumee
Superior, they said, never gives up her dead
When the gales of November come early.

Hat Trick

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
wow that 7gill is big. that is on of my favorite delicacies-yum!
2006 AOTY STRIPERKING

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
Quote from: skyboy1030
I think this whole thread is getting most of us frustrated, sorry to speak for everyone. I am sure most of us are very satisfied with how we treated the small town of Elk.
40+ kayakers some with families, all camping at a Facility we gave quite a donation to, that I am sure looks the same as it did before we showed up.
A fishery that did not suffer an impact by concerned fisherman that released more than we Kept.
And lastly as Sean said earlier, it was only a few that had a problem.
I would bet money that this forum has given this issue more time and energy than the few that complained in the first place. I personally am very happy with how the tournament went, and if we did another tomorrow wouldn't change one aspect of it. As for the pictures and the fear of other overrunning the area. IMO the more we make it something it wasn't.  Elk was great fishing, fort ross is great fishing, linda mar is great fishing. Thank you to the people of Elk All of whom I found to be friendly, But I am sorry to tell you, you don't have the only great fishing hole on the coast. There are hundreds, it just so happens we had a tournament there this year and just like football fans watching replays, and baseball fans still talking about the 1975 Dodgers, we, as, fisherman are reliving a event we will never forget through our photos and post. Let us enjoy or excitement for our sport the way we want too. That is what our boys overseas are fighting for, I intend to enjoy the freedoms they are fighting for. Lets drop this thread and unnecessary negativity and move on............Joe

WELL SAID JOE!!!!  :smt023

Seabreeze

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
This isn't about Elk, it is about politics.  Politics is why we made a donation to Coastside.  Politics is about images.  Being good and right is not enough.  There is not enough hard science to make the MLPA decisions straight forward.  A large part of the final decision will rest upon what "seems" right and popular.  Whether the reserve decisions rest more upon what is right or more upon what is popular is determinded by politics.

I hate politics and keeping track of images but I have learned that I will be happier if I address the realities of the world.

Pat
Saltwater is the cure for everything that ails us,
sweat, tear or the sea.

anything