Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 12:57:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 12:42:41 PM]

[Today at 12:30:21 PM]

[Today at 11:10:06 AM]

[Today at 10:04:01 AM]

[Today at 09:46:32 AM]

[Today at 09:43:09 AM]

[Today at 09:32:03 AM]

[Today at 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:47:56 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:07:55 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:08:56 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 04:54:29 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 01:54:14 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:53:02 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:47:27 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Sooooo.....I just ordered a Thresher 155  (Read 4777 times)

revrat

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2015
After much research and vacillating, I landed on the Thresher 155 and got it ordered last night. The final deciding factor that led me to choose the Thresher over other considerations was that the pedal drive that has been discussed from the video they released seemed like a badass option to add, once it is released.

Today I see this......
http://www.wildernesssystems.com/us/experience/news/article/flex-pod-os-console-compatibilities

Not sure if this is a total bubble buster for those of us that may have been getting excited for the pedal drive that we all thought would be compatible with all the Flexpod boats. I know I'm not the only guy out there that has made a purchase of a WS boat based on that pedal drive sneak peak. I'm super  stoked to have my boat on the way, and I'm looking forward to fishing out of it in any case. I'm not at all saying that the WS boats are "less good" if the drive does not actually fit the flexpod, just that I'd be disappointed in having been led to believe that the drive would be compatible, when it may not be.

FishingForTheCure

• "I'm going to make dinner because my colors taste like hungry"
  • Manatee
  • LOWRANCE & SIMRAD PRO STAFF
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010
I just re-watched the video & there wasn't (that I could see) any 'model' shown or implied in the video pertaining to the pedal drive.  The only thing that was visible was the ATAK with the electric drive.  A lot of speculation & assumption took place throughout the internet.  Glad to see WS put up an official declaration stating its intents on this subject matter.  Till then ... enjoy the new yak.  I too just acquired a Thresher 155 & starting the basic rigging I will be doing to this one in hopes of getting it on the water by years end.

FishingForTheCure

• Manatee
  • View Profile
What color did you get?  With rudder?

revrat

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2015
Oh, I'll definitely enjoy it either way. There wasn't anything expressed or implied in the video to be sure. Just much speculation and assumption. Hopefully it will be something that will have compatibility with the other boats. I guess my only gripe is that they had to know this discussion was taking place all over the various kayak fishing boards, and they could have put this info out a lot sooner than they did. Regardless, I'm fired up for my boat and if the pedal drive doesn't work out, my electronic rigging conundrum will be solidly solved.

I got the boat in the red color from the 2015 line, with rudder. Should be going on the truck today. The 2015 model closeout price from ACK also played a big part in my choice. The red received the GF's style stamp of approval over the flint and camo colors. The red will help hide the blood too! Maybe. I'm hoping to get it set up and out a time or two before the end of the year.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 11:55:29 AM by revrat »

FishingForTheCure

• Manatee
  • View Profile
I got the Dusk (red/black/gray) color w/ rudder too.  Kayak is a bit of a best but looks like it should be fun on the water.  Lots of good rigging options for this kayak or a very simplistic rigging can yield just as much fish-ability.

To add to the speculation ... I'm speculating that the reason for not squashing the rumor early is an engineering attempt to make a propulsion system that fit's the hole.  Generally this is done the other way around but reverse engineering, coming from someone who does design work for a living, can be the trickiest type of engineering since your hands as a designer are highly "tied".  I'm VERY excited to see what's coming out next from them!  I still have my first two kayaks; both Wilderness Systems Pungo's from 1998. 

bmb

• Please unsubscribe me from the
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
I got the Dusk (red/black/gray) color w/ rudder too.  Kayak is a bit of a best but looks like it should be fun on the water.  Lots of good rigging options for this kayak or a very simplistic rigging can yield just as much fish-ability.

To add to the speculation ... I'm speculating that the reason for not squashing the rumor early is an engineering attempt to make a propulsion system that fit's the hole.  Generally this is done the other way around but reverse engineering, coming from someone who does design work for a living, can be the trickiest type of engineering since your hands as a designer are highly "tied".  I'm VERY excited to see what's coming out next from them!  I still have my first two kayaks; both Wilderness Systems Pungo's from 1998.
Wait, you own kayaks?  As wall art or something?

FishingForTheCure

• Manatee
  • View Profile

Wait, you own kayaks?  As wall art or something?
Yes, they hang on the wall quite nicely!  :smt002  I DO get out & fish a bit now & then.  I'm holding out for 2016!

B0B

• Sea Lion
  • Tapatalk User
  • View Profile JIGS
  • Date Registered: Nov 2014
Awesome i took the same deal and also the red one.  You can see my review here:

http://norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=68980.0

Awesome yak if you ask me. At first i regret not getting it with rudder. Found out the hard way..  Definately needs rudder. I also found out the rudder it comes with is getting recalled or something because they are prone to breaking down.  I think i will just go with the standard rudder kit.

Hope to see how it turns out for you.
-Bob Pham

Kaiju Custom Tackle
Making custom Fishing lures and jigs since 2015. Out of San Jose, California
Check out my stuff for sale: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=75876.0
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kaijucustomtackle/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Kaiju-Custom-Tackle-103053935047653

FishingForTheCure

• Manatee
  • View Profile
I just saw today that there is a replacement on select rudder systems by s/n.  Going to check mine this week.

Grim Reefer

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2014
I just re-watched the video & there wasn't (that I could see) any 'model' shown or implied in the video pertaining to the pedal drive.  The only thing that was visible was the ATAK with the electric drive.  A lot of speculation & assumption took place throughout the internet.  Glad to see WS put up an official declaration stating its intents on this subject matter.  Till then ... enjoy the new yak.  I too just acquired a Thresher 155 & starting the basic rigging I will be doing to this one in hopes of getting it on the water by years end.

Then what was this?  There were several clips of a pedal operated boat in the video.   Pretty misleading to me. ...

FishingForTheCure

• Manatee
  • View Profile
That's a kayak.  Did they say it was a specific model?  They were demonstrating a concept.  Who knows, may still become reality with no current guarantee of reverse fitment at this point.  That's all that can really be said at this point.

RacinRob

• AOTY Committee
  • Wilderness Systems Pro Staff
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
That is a prototype kayak not fully finished in design.
http://WildernessSystems.com      http://ATPaddles.com
http://ShastaTackle.com               http://MacksLure.com

Wilderness Systems Kayaks Pro Staff           Heroes on the Water Coordinator
Mack's Lure Pro Staff

2018 AOTY 2nd Place
2017 ARW Halibut 3rd Place
2017 Berryessa Salmon Slam MBF winner
2014 GS8 1st Place AOTD
2014 Trinidad Rockfish Wars 1st Place--- Teamed w/ATD
2014 AOTY 3rd Place-Again
2013 AOTY 3rd Place
2012 Berryessa Salmon Slam  1st Place
2012 Sonoma Slam 1st Place---Teamed w/ATD
2012 TRW 2 1st Place----Teamed w/ATD
2012 PIF Big Salmon Winner
2012 Fresh Kats Series Champion
2012-13-14 Team NCKA Kayak Wars 1st Place Team Overall

scooter

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
Pedals or not the thresher is still a sweet kayak. I will admit though that I looked at them much closer when I heard there was a possibility of a pedal drive, motor drive or console option all in the same boat. I spent a lot of time at the dealer checking them out but even the salesperson was skeptical that a pedal drive would work with were the flex pod was located in relation to the seat. I figured I would wait to see if they could make it work or see if a redisigned model would be out.  Plus I figured if I was gonna go with a heavier kayak I wanted one with a bigger "lawn chair" type seat.

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
even the salesperson was skeptical that a pedal drive would work with were the flex pod was located in relation to the seat.
That's what I kinda thought too. The slot seems too small to accommodate a pedal drive (plus you'd have to choose btwn pedals or transducer, right?) and the angle while seated wouldn't be very ergonomic.   The video generated lots of excitement in the kayak community. Mission accomplished. But now that they have our attention, I hope the prototype becomes reality; otherwise, it's just a big letdown.
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

FishingForTheCure

• Manatee
  • View Profile
Patience Grasshopper.  Good things come to those who wait  :smt002

anything