Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 06:14:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 02:08:34 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:47:56 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:07:55 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:13:54 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:08:56 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:43:02 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:57:35 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 04:54:29 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 01:54:14 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:53:02 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:47:27 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:36:28 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Poll

Based on Shark Shield's advertising, do you believe that proper usage of a Shark Shield keeps you safe from shark attack?

Yes.
17 (27%)
No.
12 (19%)
Unsure.  But having one can't hurt.
34 (54%)

Total Members Voted: 63

Voting closed: October 08, 2015, 11:04:35 AM

Topic: Shark Shield - Yay or Nay  (Read 8705 times)

tiny

• Striper
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2009

Where did you shark shield owners purchase them?What's a fair price?Thanks tiny

I got mine from red triangle spearfishing when they became a nor cal rep.  I think he ran out after their presentation but was waiting for more.  Doesn't hurt to give them a call. 

As for a fair price I think if you can get it at or below six you will be saving from those retailers who jack the price up.  Based on how many expected full charges the battery is supposed to handle that's only $2 a fishing day for a little piece of mind.  I know people pay $8-10 to launch many spots and lose a bunch of cash on lures and lead so that's what finally sold me (really my wife made me get it).  I am logging my dives and recharges to see how it plays out in real life.
Thanks for the info DG
A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve,not by the desire to beat others-Ayn Rand

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 urban camo
RTM Abaco orange and black   HELL YEAH

charles

• Salmon
  • turn em. pedals mtb or ocean
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
My understanding of GWS is that they select targets based on profiles. A yak hull mimics a seal, sea lion, elephant seal. Why not change the profile shape instead of paying several hundred dollars for an electronic deterrent? A set of simple crossbars with tramps made of a cheap material, like gunny sacks, placed aft enough not to impede paddling should change the shark's read from pinniped shape to a non prey shape like a boat. How many small boats around here have been attacked by shark? Any AI's? They probably appear too wide and thus not a food item for the sharks.
Charles

PISCEAN

• no kooks please!
  • Sea Lion
  • humming to the bear...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
any thoughts on using an older model shark shield? I know the retail cost is totally worth it, but if i can get a deal......

if the battery still charges, they  are pretty tough units. Mine is an early gen Freedom 7 that was used as a demo unit at MBK, and went through a few owners after that. It still works :smt002
I think SS has a core charge/trade in program if the battery dies they will provide a new unit for a discounted price.
pronounced "Pie-see-in"
"Every day is a fishing day, but not every day is a catching day"-Countryman
sponsored by: Piscean Artworks
Randomness rules the universe. Perseverance is the only path to success..but luck sometimes works too.

agoodhi

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2013
My understanding of GWS is that they select targets based on profiles. A yak hull mimics a seal, sea lion, elephant seal. Why not change the profile shape instead of paying several hundred dollars for an electronic deterrent? A set of simple crossbars with tramps made of a cheap material, like gunny sacks, placed aft enough not to impede paddling should change the shark's read from pinniped shape to a non prey shape like a boat. How many small boats around here have been attacked by shark? Any AI's? They probably appear too wide and thus not a food item for the sharks.

i recall an attack on a kayak with outrigger in the past

cam3087

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2012
any thoughts on using an older model shark shield? I know the retail cost is totally worth it, but if i can get a deal......

if the battery still charges, they  are pretty tough units. Mine is an early gen Freedom 7 that was used as a demo unit at MBK, and went through a few owners after that. It still works :smt002
I think SS has a core charge/trade in program if the battery dies they will provide a new unit for a discounted price.
Discounted price at 300 bucks. Instead of shipping to Austrailia they set up shop in Florida and that's where it can be sent.
2nd Place 2014 Trinidad Rockfish Wars IV

Formerdiver

• AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
Hey everyone as DG stated we are a Shark Shield rep in Norcal at Red Triangle. If you guys want to do a group by we can talk about it and let me see if I can work on Shark Shield headquarters to get you a 3 year warranty.

If interested send me a pm that way I have a definitive number to order. They just came back in stock.

Matt

FishingAddict

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007
Hey everyone as DG stated we are a Shark Shield rep in Norcal at Red Triangle. If you guys want to do a group by we can talk about it and let me see if I can work on Shark Shield headquarters to get you a 3 year warranty.

If interested send me a pm that way I have a definitive number to order. They just came back in stock.

Matt

Matt - Please provide a price so I can get my budget ready.  I am interested.
2018 Hobie Revolution 13 Cheeesy Orange Papaya
2019 Hobie Revolution 11 Seagrass Green

trianglelaguna

• Sea Lion
  • put the lotion in the basket
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013

p.m sent thanks  :smt001
I know a few folks ready now to make the deal

Matt
We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.

I want to stay as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all kinds of things you can't see from the center.

People aren’t supposed to look back. I’m certainly not going to do it anymore.”
― Kurt Vonnegut

tiny

• Striper
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2009
I'm in on a group deal.Thanks  tiny
A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve,not by the desire to beat others-Ayn Rand

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 urban camo
RTM Abaco orange and black   HELL YEAH

trianglelaguna

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
go Matt

Thanks red Triangle  for at least doing some checking on deals!!!

Im good for a few --see what shakes down?? :smt003
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 12:17:33 PM by trianglelaguna »
We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.

I want to stay as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all kinds of things you can't see from the center.

― Kurt Vonnegut

dilbeck

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2006

Formerdiver

• AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
Just an update, I am working with Shark Shield to see what kind of deal we can do.  At the end of the day if we have to do a group buy with NCKA discount through the shop then we will do that.  At this moment does not seem that I can get 3 year warranty extended but I am trying.

I'll let you guys know next week.

Matt

sebast

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015
2015 TI
2017 Outback

trianglelaguna

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile

they stopped answering my Fb p.ms without any real price answer --so i lost a bit of interest with them...i explained that I needed  to buy the wifes one soon for an event ...no answer---sent a follow up--no answer

Just an update, I am working with Shark Shield to see what kind of deal we can do.  At the end of the day if we have to do a group buy with NCKA discount through the shop then we will do that.  At this moment does not seem that I can get 3 year warranty extended but I am trying.

I'll let you guys know next week.

Matt

― Kurt Vonnegut

SuperVato

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2012
There has been a huge spike of interest recently here. "Calling Shark Shield, opportunity knocks." This is a large group of active ethusiasts right here in the landlords backyard. Craig is relentless, if he can't get your attention then the phone is off the hook.
“All men are equal before fish.”
― Herbert  Hoover    

anything