Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:35:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:17:00 AM]

[Today at 08:02:19 AM]

[Today at 05:07:22 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Any Vintage Penn reel users here?  (Read 5235 times)

sacyak

• Sardine
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2016
I've had the opportunity to fish twice from a kayak down in Cayucos and Cambria with my brother in law.

I had a blast but am only using my spinning bass gear.  My brother in law is using older Penn Jigmaster 500s.

Are there other members here who are a fan of the old Penn reels?  If I was to go this route to upgrade from my spinning bass gear, are there specific models of the old Penns that are well suited for chasing the rockfish and lings from a kayak?

Is levelwind a necessary feature?

Thanks for any tips

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
I've had the opportunity to fish twice from a kayak down in Cayucos and Cambria with my brother in law.

I had a blast but am only using my spinning bass gear.  My brother in law is using older Penn Jigmaster 500s.

Are there other members here who are a fan of the old Penn reels?  If I was to go this route to upgrade from my spinning bass gear, are there specific models of the old Penns that are well suited for chasing the rockfish and lings from a kayak?

Is levelwind a necessary feature?

Thanks for any tips
I use a pennmaster 5000 and an avet sxj and the pennmaster is super solid, I trust it well.   Your thumb is a level wind.  On some reels i've heard it impedes casting.
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
I use old Penns that I inherited from my dad.  I get them worked on when they need it - cheap by a local dude with a reel maintenance business.  As long as you have a smooth drag and decent line on there you're in the game for any NorCal fish that we go after.  A level wind is not needed - I agree with Eddie that your thumb is the level wind.  There's something about having nothing but the spool and eyes between you and the fish.

Older Penns have scored some big fish from my yaks, and I see no reason to upgrade.

Best of luck~  :smt001
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

Martianfish

• Sea Lion
  • SEMPER PARATUS
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
I use a Penn Senator 1/0 as my halibut reel on a 8 ft fresh water bass rod. I really like the bait clicker as it will hold up to a 5 oz weight while drifting or slow trolling on my Outback.
Yakhopper's  Alameda Rock Wall  1st Place  June 13, 2010
2016 Hobie Outback
ARW Godfather

PescaDONo

• Salmon
  • View Profile Timber Cove 3 day weather forecast - trihourly
  • Date Registered: Sep 2011
I found this little jig master in a yard sale couple months ago. It's got an aftermarket transmission on it that doubles its ratio. The transmission is called a powerhouse.
They were asking five dollars but of course I didn't pay that much.[emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish."
 ~Roderick Haig-Brown, about modern fishing, A River Never Sleeps, 1946

Link to Timber Cove 3 day, tri-hourly weather
Lawson's Landing Fishing Report- Tomales Bay

Bushy

• Administrator
  • First, you do everything right.Then, you get lucky
  • View Profile http://theletsgofishingradioshow.com
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
Penn 500, 501, 140, 146.

Jigmaster and squidder models.

SANTA CRUZ KAYAK FISHING Guide Service  2004
NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News

solsrf1

• Industry Affiliate
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
Penn 500, 501, 140, 146.

Jigmaster and squidder models.

+1, still have my 500 jigmaster and 501 squidder from the 70's, and still going strong. You can upgrade the drag washers and other parts from smoothdrag http://smoothdrag.com/ 
It is recommend upgrading from the older plastic spool to the aluminum to make it more robust. I had one of mine disintegrate right in front of me while fighting a big fish in the early days off Santa Cruz, so this would be my recommendation too. If you want the convenience of the level wind, so that you don't have to manually spool your line back and forth when retrieving, then consider something like this Penn http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Star-Drag-Penn-Defiance-20LW-LevelWind-Conventional-Saltwater-Fishing-Reel/122536479911?_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982&_trkparms=aid%3D888007%26algo%3DDISC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D44730%26meid%3D9dbc867645064336bf8e6ee762825429%26pid%3D100009%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D2%26sd%3D152437760857     
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 10:40:13 AM by solsrf1 »

Big Hammer Pro Staff
Kayak Connection Fishing Team

casey7

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2006
 I love my Penn 85 for bottom fishing. Check out http://store.scottsbt.com/Penn-Parts-Home-Page-W7C1.aspx . Good place for parts.

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
I have several models of Penn reels including the International series 1 & 2 speeds.  These reel are heavy but build to last!
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

Tim

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2017
I got 2 Penn jigmaster 500's I have landed 7 foot surgeon with one of them,but over the years both reels have landed their fair share of fish,I have a avet mxj that I use in the ocean because it has a 6.8:1 gear ratio which works good when your bringing fish up from 250 feet down,I also have some small shimanos and Abu Garcia bait casters I use for  throwing crankbaits and drop shot they are also striper reels for throwing rattle traps.best Penn reel guy I know is Todd in benicia,if you have reel issues Todd's the man.

Sent from my SM-G920T1 using Tapatalk

Fish67

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2017
I own 3 old penns. 140, 112h, and 113h. Caught 3 salmons two weeks ago with my 112h. My 140 and 112h has an upgraded drag stack and SS sleeves. 113h will get new guts and frame.

Old penns are built like a tank. Love them!

seabird

• Salmon
  • Oh my GAHWD Jay, It's a baby fahkin WHEEL jay
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
I have a longbeach 60 and 65 that my dad gave me. I caught my first ling/saltwater fish on the 65! I would love to get my hands on a squidder or jigmaster one of these days. It's hard not to like the simplicity of an old Penn.

sacyak

• Sardine
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2016
Thanks everyone for your replies, it will certainly help me in my search for the Penn reels.

Can i get the contact info for the Penn reel guy in Benicia by the name of Todd ?

Thanks !
Curtis

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Thanks everyone for your replies, it will certainly help me in my search for the Penn reels.

Can i get the contact info for the Penn reel guy in Benicia by the name of Todd ?

Thanks !
Curtis

Here you go...

Todd's Custom Rod Art
513 Claverie Way
Benicia, California, CA 94510
(707) 745-1080
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
~24 hours and we see all these recommendations and a solid referral for a reel guy...

NCKA rules. 

:smt001
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.