Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:03:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:15:24 AM]

[Today at 08:08:08 AM]

[Today at 07:42:13 AM]

[March 28, 2024, 11:34:08 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:44:18 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:12:36 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Mirage Drive repair help  (Read 4240 times)

krusty

• No stinkin'
  • Sea Lion
  • Is This Edible?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Wow, How did it happen? 

I had a rod bend during surf re-entry. I had the drive attached at off position. A wave pushed my Revo sideways and  dragged one of the fins along the beach and bent the rod.  I replaced the rod, easy fix.  Now I always take the MD out when dealing with the surf.

Not sure how it happened. The pulley mechanism was crapping out, and then the rod broke. It was while fishing, which is weird, so there wasn't some sudden pressure or impact that would cause that kind of torque. We've bottomed out in the surf a few times and those rods have taken some abuse, so I figure it's just wear and tear.

Check the teeth on the sprocket for wear. Mine had a few worn teeth, so I just replaced it instead of trying to remove the broken mast.

Malibu_Two

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
Well unscrewing it isn't working. That locktite is making it impossible...so I have to order new parts. ACK doesn't have much for the V2 drives. They have to special order it which will take 7-10 days. Too long.

Can anyone recommend a local place that sells V2 replacement sprockets and idler pulleys?

Thanks,
Andrew
May the fish be mighty and the seas be meek...

Scurvy

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2015
Well unscrewing it isn't working. That locktite is making it impossible...so I have to order new parts. ACK doesn't have much for the V2 drives. They have to special order it which will take 7-10 days. Too long.

Can anyone recommend a local place that sells V2 replacement sprockets and idler pulleys?

Thanks,
Andrew

Any of the local Hobie dealers.  They might not have the part, but they can order it and then it's only a 2 day ship from Hobie Central in Oceanside.  (I just got a replacement myself and it came in just 2 days).

KPD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014

Thanks,
Andrew

Hey Andrew,

I have a spare rod in my parts drawer. I might be able to get the broken end of the rod out if you can bring it by my place in San Mateo. Mine broke in a similar place last year.

Krishna
Wanted to buy: Stealth ProFisha 575 or 525

otobepelagic

• o2b
  • Sea Lion
  • 1st, 2nd, and 3rd
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
I have spare sprockets and masts here in Cotati (Sonoma County) if someone is headed your way.
NCKA Angler of the Year 2010 1st Place, 2009 2nd Place, 2008 3rd Place          

Living the dream before I can only dream of it.......

Malibu_Two

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
Thanks guys, but I just called Wind Toys and they have all the parts so I might just go up there for a one-shop-stop, plus I should buy backups for the other drive. Appreciate the help, though!
-Andrew
May the fish be mighty and the seas be meek...

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
... I'd plan on replacing both masts - that other one is pretty bent.

+1
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia
Got a condo made of stone-a

Wildrooster

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
What a great opportunity to up grade to a 180
glade you made it
now let's get our fish on

Ascend FS128T